corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Discussion Day - Blackburn Rovers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Discussion Day - Blackburn Rovers
kennySRi

User status: Offline
31st Dec 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although i don't support rovers i do live in Blackburn and have been reading the past years events very closely and it really is appauling what is happening. Im just wondering if fans (you guys) outside of Blackburn are understanding what is going on or if you are just like the media and think that the fans are being idiots by not getting behind the team...?

Too much has happened in the past 12 months to write in here but im sure you have been reading bits about it but yesterday the local paper finally told the public what they had all feared but also all knew what was really going on. Reading the comments alone in the link below shows exactly what is happening and how sick all the fans are feeling!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9445726.Blackburn_owners_Venky_s_may_have_to_sell_Rovers_stars/

This link shows the facts of the past year, i know you wont want to read it all but is very interesting

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/9442717.Andy_Cryer_s_Blackburn_Rovers_review_of_the_year/

In simple terms the Venkys bought the club with no intention of ever putting money into the club, they have lied from day one and every single day has either been a lie from them or their puppet of a manager steve kean. After sacking all the people who actually kinow how to run the club they are now going to be selling off all the first team players. They will be aiming to get around £20m i reckon for doing this and more than likely replace them with a few unknown players or even more likely, a few loan players. Obviously this money going straight into the venkys firm. They will then get relegated, what is it, 40 -60m? they recieve for going down. This will then obviously be pocketed. Barclays are onto them and want the loans paid off. Im guessing by this time next year the venkys will just be about to leave with all their money, rovers will be a team full of unexperienced youths, they will be at the bottom of the chamionship with a 10 points deduction for going into administration and will be in L1/L2 within just a few years. Id even be amazed if they still owned Ewood park by then.

What are your views on what the Venkys are doing? I just think it's a disgrace that the FA have allowed these idiots to be incharged of a PL club. Witht he team that they have at the moment any decent manager would of kept them up, but Steve kean is obviously in on the plan.

Im pretty sure United are going to have a training game later on, and god only knows what is going to happen at Ewood on monday when Stoke are playing them, just reading the fans comments you know it's going to be kicking off.

Sorry for the essay, just want to read about peoples views from outside of Blackburn and want to see what you make of it all
Cavey

31st Dec 11 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely agree with you. Venkys should not of been allowed to take control of a club, they have no interest in football, and are destroying a team who has won the premier league (albeit a long time ago)

When Hoilett and Samba go they'll be in even more shit.

I do feel a bit sorry for Kean, and i'm sure that 99% of people realise that the abuse he's been getting has gone too far, and in fairness to him, he's handled it all remarkably well. - Saying that, he really should of walked by now though as his results have been shocking.

But even if he did, where would that leave the team? No-one is going to want the job.

imo, The majority of fans abuse should be aimed at Venkys, not Steve Kean (But they're rarely there, and Kean is the face of the club, and the "manager" who is taking their club down, so I can understand it)

[Edited on 31-12-2011 by Cavey]
kennySRi

31st Dec 11 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Completely agree with you. Venkys should not of been allowed to take control of a club, they have no interest in football, and are destroying a team who has won the premier league (albeit a long time ago)

When Hoilett and Samba go they'll be in even more shit.

I do feel a bit sorry for Kean, and i'm sure that 99% of people realise that the abuse he's been getting has gone too far, and in fairness to him, he's handled it all remarkably well. - Saying that, he really should of walked by now though as his results have been shocking.

But even if he did, where would that leave the team? No-one is going to want the job.

imo, The majority of fans abuse should be aimed at Venkys, not Steve Kean (But they're rarely there, and Kean is the face of the club, and the "manager" who is taking their club down, so I can understand it)

[Edited on 31-12-2011 by Cavey]

They need to keep hold of Samba no matter what, 5 or 6 players will be going and there will be nothing left. It's a real shame as they have an excellent youth system but these kids are going to be thrown in now and they arnt ready for it.

I agree on bits about Kean, the fans should be aiming towards Venkys more (i believe that this is going to be the case from now on). The guy is a complete idiot but i suppose with owners like that, he hasnt much choice. He isnt right for the job though, not at all, and he deserves fans telling him that he's not welcome, although maybe not as harshly. No other manager will come in so it's irrelevant if he goes or not, they are still going down no matter what.

You know it's a bad situation when you know that the fans are actually wanting to lose games just in order for the owners/managers to go. I think people are just expecting that in 2 years time there is nothing left of the club and will then work getting it back and hopefully have an owner who cares about the club.

Im tempted to go on Monday just to see what happens, there may of been 5% of fans chanting for them to go in the past, im guessing that it will just be 5% of people staying quiet from now on
Russ

31st Dec 11 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly the same thing happened to wolves when the Batty brothers bought us in the early 80's sold everyone worth any money then sold the club leaving them rich and us shit. Sir Jack Hayward didn't put the millions in he promises either, we've always used generated income to look after ourselves. I like Morgan has he is happy to dip into his pocket
kennySRi

31st Dec 11 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose today's result will keep kean in the job for longer now

As i have said, they have a decent team. They just need decent owners and a manager to get the best out of them, shame they will all be sold within the next month!
Ben G

31st Dec 11 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was pretty obvious this would happen from the minute they took over.

typical greedy asians.
kennySRi

16th May 12 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know most of you arnt bothered about Rovers but i thought i would bump this thread up and post this VERY long summary of the events that have happened. I found it on one of the forums and was written last week, i know you wont read it but it at least logs it on here to explain what has been happening. I also think that Steve Kean's time is finally coming to an end very soon...

quote:
When they arrived, they talked about reaching the Champions League. On Monday, after 0-1 at home against Wigan, the fiasco was complete. Blackburn has fallen out of the Premier League after eleven years in the top division. Never before has there been a change in ownership that has failed in such a scale as in the case of Venky's and Blackburn FC. Whatdid they do wrong?

It is easier to turn the question: Have they done even a single thing right? You just have to hope that this story serves as deterrent to fans who assume that the moon follows a change of ownership. Television pictures when teams go out of the league usually last long in my memory. I remember a great weeping Alan Smith be soothed by the fans at Leeds United's nightmare came true spring of 2004. I remember the Newcastle fans' banner when the Magpies crashed down into the Championship in the spring of 2009: "We'll support you even more." I remember a sad Ian Holloway, who last year was close to save Blackpool remain at Old Trafford. Even the United fans suffered with him.

On Monday at Ewood Park, there was very little sympathy from supporters anywhere. A gang stormed the plan on the hunt for coach Steve Kean who had to flee to the playing time. Goalkeeper Paul Robinson, one of the few players who can't be accused of not giving 100% this season, walked around and applauded. He got a few hugs and pats on the back. Mostly I will remember the symbolic events of the match. How a fan ran onto the field to throw his season ticket in front of Steve Kean. How a chicken was unleashed in the first half to chants of, "We're only here for the chicken" Not to mention the banner some supporters raised up: "BRFC RIP killed by cowboys (pictures of the agent Jerome Anderson and Steve Kean) and Indians (pictures of the owners from Venky's)."

In some ways it was fitting when that rooster ran onto the pitch. It spent more time in the Wigan penalty area than any of the Blackburn strikers in the first half and served as a symbolic image:

Venkys have treated this club as the company treats its chickens. They have slaughtered Blackburn Rovers. In a way, it was also fitting that Sam Allardyce a few hours earlier, took a major step closer to Premier League yesterday with West Ham. He should not have been fired.

The Indian company bought the club in November 2010 for £ 43m. They began to pay off the debts. So far, so good, but the question is whether it is still the only sensible thing they made during their 18 months. If you want a manual on how not to run a football club can look at Venky's so-called businessmen. There were those who immediately started talking about recruiting Ronaldinho and David Beckham. It was their chairman Anuradha Desai who said she had never seen a football game. It was they who chose to consult the agent Jerome Anderson as counselors. It was they who sacked manager Sam Allardyce, although he led a modest squad to a middle position in the Premier League. It was they who replaced Allardyce with third coach Steve Kean who had no managerial experience, but who are represented by Jerome Anderson's agent firm. It was they who picked up John Jensen as assistant, probably because he also had the same agent firm, rather than his fitness for the task. It was they who in January last year suddenly gave Steve Kean a two year contract.There were those who ignored the protests in the fall and instead signed a new contract with Kean in November (although the length of contract was the same).It was they who began to make one weird recruitment after the other. When Ronaldinho and Beckham didn't pan out, they signed Myles Anderson - Jerome's 21-year-old son. At the time he had made only one substitute appearance for Aberdeen.

Jerome Anderson's part in Blackburn's downfall is worth examining more closely. The former banker had previously had a close relationship with Arsenal when he represented, among others, Ian Wright and Thierry Henry. Sources around him claimed that he had not been involved in Blackburn's business on a daily basis, only that his role was to identify a new owner who could buy the club from the Walker Trust.

But even in the Fall of 2010 those who doubted. Shortly after taking over in December, Alex Ferguson warned the consequences could be disastrous. "You have a case with Blackburn where an agent is involved and will determine the club's future. Jerome Anderson, he has no clue. It is startling and a threat to the clubs future." said United-coach to the Telegraph.

Jerome Anderson has had a similar "consultant role" in a Premier League club before. He was part of the picture when Thaksin Shinawatra bought Manchester City in 2007 and was highly involved in the decision to hire Sven-Goran Eriksson as coach and then recruit eight players.

Two clubs have been considered to be "agent-driven" in England this season, Blackburn and Doncaster. Both went out of their divisions.

Agent firm Kentaro acted as adviser to Venky's even before the takeover. For a few years, Kentaro has had a partnership with Jerome Anderson's SEM agency business. Anuradha Desai, chairman of Venky's, and her two brothers were well aware that they lacked knowledge within the football industry.It is rumored that before making the purchase did not know that the team could go out of the Premier League, that they thought it was a franchise. We do not know if this is the truth, but it is natural to think that they happily relied on Jerome Anderson's review on strategic decisions.

It is said that Blackburn's chairman, the beloved John Williams, was not even consulted when Sam Allardyce was fired. Williams left Blackburn last spring and his exodus was followed by Secretary Tom Finn. Williams was handpicked later by Manchester City.

Why did the "Big Sam" go? Theory goes that he and Venky's disagreement about possible signings before the January window last year were behind it. Reports that SEM had a wish list where many of the names were players from their own stables are rampant. There have been denials by Venky's. Anuradha Desai was content to declare that Allardyce was not "buying into the vision."

What exactly was that vision? It was not to make Blackburn into a successful football team. When Desai gave her first interview about the takeover she didn't talk about what Venky's could do for Blackburn. She highlighted what Blackburn could do for the company. "I feel that the Venky's brand will get instant recognition if we take over the club, and that's the main reason why we are here." This should already have sent out warning signs and fans should have been worried. Some were. Others were so busy seeing money bags that perhaps they couldn't see the pit of hell opening up underneath them. It is easy in times when an oil tycoon for owners is many fans dearest wish.

After Blackburn sacked Sam Allardyce, Anuradha Desai spoke. "The team will be capable of reaching 5th to 7th and not constantly vying to stave off relegation. I think the team deserves better. Sam did not fit into this vision. We have a long term vision and we want to take the club to new heights."

There were no new heights. After that the team saved off relegation in the final round last season, they have constantly been at the bottom of the table this year.Last fall, ESPN had an interview with co-owner Venkatesh Rao.He could have competed in the World Cup of diplomacy, "The fans have every right to feel frustrated and angry. On Venky's behalf, I want to assure fans that we are fully aware of our responsibility towards them, towards the club and to football." But did they really?

On Tuesday, Sporting Intelligence revealed a letter sent in December by Paul Hunt, the so called "Deputy Chief Executive." He wrote, among other things, to Anuradha Desai:
* That "significant changes to save the club from relegation, maybe even from the administration." were required.
* That you should consider firing Steve Kean who has lost the fans' confidence and the locker room.
* The club is losing fans / customers at an alarming rate.
* We are in danger of losing Umbro as a sponsor if they continued to manufacture unauthorized Rovers shirts in India.
* That you have to pay off £10 million of debt to reduce the risk of putting the club into administration.

It is said that money from the sale of Chris Samba in the January window to Anzji Makhachkala went straight to paying off that debt.

Samba had aired his dissatisfaction much longer. In last year's January window, he tried to move. He was critical of the owners. "New owners have come in and fired the coach who saved us from relegation two years ago. The least they could do is come here and explain their project. They have not done it, it's disrespectful. I do not want to be part of it."

Supporters anger with Venky's and Steve Kean lacks precedent in the Premier League's short history. The chant "Kean out" has been sung in almost every home game. When Venky's banned banners with messages critical of them in the stadium last fall, fans hired an airplane flying above the Ewood Park with the text "Steve Kean Out". Anger was easy to understand. Blackburn were only going in one direction, downhill, and Steve Kean appeared not to be the man who would turn the tide.

But the manager was not the main problem. In my view the ownership structure the big problem. It was Venky's who put Kean in the manager's position. It was Venky's (or their advisors) who, inexplicably, not only gave him a two year contract but also then refused to fire him when he did not perform.

I've always been suspicious of Steve Kean, ever since Sam Allardyce said in an interview after the parting that he thought his assistant had backstabbed him. Keans "Baghdad Bob"-talk has been astonishing. He said in December 2010 David Hoilett would extend his contract within 48 hours. Hoilett never extended any contract. The attacker has still not extended any contract. Hoilett goes on a Bosman when the season is over. Kean said Blackburn, thanks to Venky's, no longer had to sell their best players. A few weeks later, Phil Jones shipped off to Manchester United.He said it was inconceivable that Chris Samba would leave the club. Two weeks later, Samba was sold.

Steve Kean lives in denial. When the team piled up losses last fall, he said before a game that he was optimistic "because the team was undefeated in London." As if it mattered.

At the same time, I had sympathy for the hard pressed coach when the pressure on him turned to hate. I was happy with him after the victory over Sunderland on March 20th, when the team acquired six quick points and looked to save their Premier League status.

He had been threatened and forced to get a bodyguard. He did not dare go into the streets. During the home defeat to Bolton in December protests against Kean reached its climax when the local newspaper Lancashire Telegraph demanded his resignation. Everton boss David Moyes, who was in attendance, said later that he left the match because he was so uncomfortable by the behavior in the stands.

The letter from Paul Hunt was dated Dec. 21. The day after the Bolton match.

If we ignore the little fact that Steve Kean is a bad football manager, I would still defend him. At least a little. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but we must not forget the ungrateful conditions. The squad was already weak before the season after Phil Jones left for Manchester United. With a further blow - captain Ryan Nelsen was alledgedly injured and Chris Samba refused to play - I doubt that any other coach would have done significantly better.

There were more strange events. Michel Salgado had not played since before Christmas because he was close to reaching that number of matches which would give him a year extension on his contract. Venky's did not want that, so Kean has not been able to use the right-back. Steve Kean has thus in many ways had to act with his hands tied. What provoked the fans above all this was his "stick-you-head-in-the-sand" attitude. Instead of admitting that the squad was weak and that he did not get the signings he wanted, he talked up players such as David Goodwillie (purchased from Dundee) and Myles Anderson. The latter was compared to Chris Smalling. It has not been credible.

Football Managers who feel unwanted usually throw in the towel. For his own sake and for the club's sake. Kean has instead repeatedly reiterated that he has the ability to save the sinking ship. Even after yesterday's relegation, he was not prepared to give up. Instead, he talked about making sure to keep the team and focus on getting back next year.

It will not be considered on the basis that 80 percent of club revenues currently go to player salaries. The cost structure is not sustainable in the Championship where TV money is considerably lower. Relegation will cost around £30 million, according to The Times in India. Only 3,000 have renewed season tickets for next season, compared with 12,000 last year. It is easy to understand if Blackburn fans feel despair. Andy Cryer writes today in the Lancashire Telegraph: "It was branded as an exciting era, but after just 18 months, wBlackburn fans wish that they never heard of Steve Kean and Venky's".

Venkys financial strength was greatly exaggerated in the first reports. There was talk of £100m in annual profit. In fact, earnings are £12m. Approximately one-tenth. They've driven the club from India and rarely endeavored to visit Ewood Park. How could they get control of Blackburn?

Rovers are a traditional club. It was formed in 1875 and is one of only four clubs that have won the Premier League. They did it in 1995 with players like Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton then owner Jack Walker spent big to fulfill his dream.Before Walker died in August 2000, he made sure that ownership would be transferred to family-owned "Walker's trustees." "Blackburn Rovers was in many ways, the love of his life," said the politician Jack Straw after his death.

"Walker's trustees" had no more interest in running the football club. Five years ago, in 2007 they put Blackburn up sale. No one was seriuosly interested until Venky's showed up. Not one British investor was interested in a club that has played ten years in the top division, which had an average audience of 22 000 spectators. One potential owner, Ali Syed, showed interest. The Premier League said no because he did not pass the so-called "fit and proper" test. He bought the Spanish Racing Santander instead. That club is now in crisis, plunged into administration and no one knows where Syed has disappeared to.

With the knowledge of what has happened under Venky's tenure, one must wonder what would have happened to Blackburn if this man had taken over the club instead. It is small consolation for Blackburn's supporters that, if possible, it could have been even worse.

Yesterday reports circulated that Venky's were willing to sell Blackburn. It was denied by Vineeth Rao, a friend of the family owners, the Lancashire Telegraph. "It is not true, not at all. There are no plans to sell."

Last Monday before the Wigan match, a new aircraft was hired to circulate above the Ewood Park. This time it was ordered by rival Burnley fans.

The message?

"In Venky's We Trust."

Im aware that you wont of read all that but even since last week there has been much more still going on at Ewood. There was the big story last week about Paul Hunt being sacked for a letter he wrote wanting Kean out. Plenty of the first team players were left out on the last game of the season, they are obviously going to get sold, im just hoping that they have the balls to say what they really think of the situation after they've gone! But the biggest news came yesterday with a video finally being hosted on the intnernet from last year where a few people were out drinking with Kean and they recorded a conversation. He was going on about he found the talent of Phil Jones and told Big Sam about him when that was completely not true, he then went on to say that they will finish in the top half and win the carling cup but the main thing he said was that Big Sam is a fucking crook Sam is getting his lawyers onto it now and things are going to get even more fucked up down there.

If Steve Kean is still the manager by the end of tomorrow then there is definetly something dodgy going on, even more so than before. The guy is the worse manager ever in the PL and he has so much power at the club, there was a local petetion the other day and over 4k people signed to get him out. No other club would let this guy carry on but then no other club has owners as stupid as the Venky's.

For those who are interested il keep you updated on the next events that happen down there, literally every day somebody is either getting sacked, resigning or rumours of bust-ups. The Championship next season is going to be massive for Lancashire but if things carry on as they are Blackburn are going straight down again...

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

16th May 12 at 00:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put that in a quote so its a bit easier on the eye than italics.
kennySRi

16th May 12 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Ian, looks much better like that. I know people arnt bothered about Blackburn but at least it's something to look back at when they are playing Accy Stanley in L2
Whittie

16th May 12 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate is a huge rovers fan, and he's practically having a mental breakdown over how much of a twat the owners are.

I asked him about Kean and he said he'd like him to stay, but with full support from the fans, he wants to shoot the owners though.

Don't understand the above comment tbh, especially when they neeeded to score 2 weeks ago, and he brought the yak off, uninjured, what was that all about! As well as other stupid decisions.

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Whittie]
kennySRi

16th May 12 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant see how a huge rovers fan is backing Kean? Surely he is the only one within the whole supporters who want that. The guy is absolutly clueless, it's as if he was trying to get them relegated! Every game threw up more and more odd selections and even more players suspicously injured.

However if Kean does go (fat chance of that happening) then nothing will change until the owners go aswell. There were reports last week of a few local buisness men joining together to make a bid but there hasnt been any news since.
Whittie

16th May 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think he's too glazed over with blind hatred for the owners, to realise the manager is as good as a chicken.
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has he seen the video from last year where kean was berating alardyce?
kennySRi

16th May 12 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
has he seen the video from last year where kean was berating alardyce?

You mean the video that has just come out from last year? Any other owner would sack any manager who said what he did but i still don't think it'll be enough to sack him. Every interview Kean does whines everybody up, constantly smirking about how they deserved a result and that you have to take 2 steps back to go forward. He hasnt once apologised for a result and not even apologised for getting relegated but yet Owen Coyle and every other team has done so.

I cant wait to see Big Sam's reactions to that video. If West Ham dont win the play offs then it could be a very exciting time when they meet eachother
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes jsut come out from last year
kennySRi

16th May 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant believe the fan didnt upload it earlier tbh To be fair though Kean kept saying judge him at the end of the window/season so at least the fan gave him until then, doubt he has been paid for the bet though lol.

Not sure if this will work but here's the video for those who havnt seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcB9XfLjL8&feature=player_embedded

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Discussion Day - Blackburn Rovers 23 database queries in 0.1009111 seconds