corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driving test changes...now to include Motorway

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driving test changes...now to include Motorway
Fonz
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Dec 11 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fromTelegraph motoring

quote:
The change, which will come into force next year, is intended to end the situation in which young drivers can be confronted with traffic driving at speeds of 70 mph or above without any preparation.

Under the plans announced by Mr Penning, it will be possible for learner drivers to undergo some training on a motorway but only if accompanied by a qualified driving instructor....The change, however, will not be made compulsory because of the difficulties learner drivers in remote areas of the country would face in finding a motorway within a reasonable distance of where they lived...
DannyB
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daft not to be part of the test anyway, the amount of people scared to go near a motorway is shocking.
fazza

9th Dec 11 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nearest motorway is an hour away so wont affect us

I know a few people that are scared to drive on the motorway though, daft really
nathy_87

9th Dec 11 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow, so does that mean all learners (including 125cc motorbikes) can go on the Motorway? They should make the Pass Plus mandotry.

[Edited on 09-12-2011 by nathy_87]
gazza808

9th Dec 11 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the test hasn't changed if you read it it's says training.
Not test.
Matt L

9th Dec 11 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my cousin and her fiance wont drive on motorways, find it really odd .

if its not mandatory then is it nost just the same as the pass plus as that takes you on the motorway so really there is no change to it.

got to say though ALOT of people need to learn how to drive on a motorway, its the only time/place where i will get road rage
Sunz

9th Dec 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not compulsory so I think it wont change much, people who are scared and nervous will choose not to do any motorway lessons and therefore when they pass their test are none the wiser.
ed

9th Dec 11 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That information is incorrect - it's not going to be part of the test. What happens if you live in Norfolk or Cornwall and have no motorway near you for miles!
Gary
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be an extra part on your licence to be able to drive on a motorway. Just the same as doing an auto or manual test.

Job done.
Ojc

9th Dec 11 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
That information is incorrect - it's not going to be part of the test. What happens if you live in Norfolk or Cornwall and have no motorway near you for miles!
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We once went out for a few drinks with some friends, they weren't local and before heading out my friends partner offered to drive us home.

I drove us there, and when we arrived (and steadily got sloshed), she was looking more and more nervous as the night went on.

Turns out, she's terrified of driving on motorways and didn't want to drive us home - but didn't tell any of us whilst we were sober

Good times.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving on motorways is relaxing compared to driving round Greater London's towns
Lawrah
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 13:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought you just did pass plus for this ?
richc

9th Dec 11 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
my cousin and her fiance wont drive on motorways, find it really odd .

Same. They asked me about train tickets to london and moaned when i said 60 quid each (4 of them). I said drive and park in the tube station which do a special parking rate of something like £4 a day. " Im not driving on a motorway".

Ok then instead of costing you 50 quid to get there and back, its costing you £240
richc

9th Dec 11 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also they do this in europe. Saw loads in holland the other year.
Ben G

9th Dec 11 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Driving on motorways is relaxing compared to driving round Greater London's towns

agreed.

find it so much easier to cruise on the m25 now it's massively wide with 4 lanes compared to being stuck in traffic on a dual carriageway.
adiohead

9th Dec 11 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People scared of driving shouldn't be allowed to drive
ChrisBoom

9th Dec 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good job that isn't compulsory, nearest motorway to here is 250 miles away
Paul_J

9th Dec 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

As someone that commutes mostly on dual carriageway / motorway each day - I can practically be half asleep, chilled out, listening to radio 1 each day - rather than A road stop / start ... stop / start.

I think people get afraid of being 'stuck in the wrong lane' or they have a gutless car which can't accelerate onto the motorway / into gaps. By the time I join the motorway, I'm already go so much faster than all the traffic on the motorway I just pick and choose the gap I want until I get to the outside lane.

[Edited on 09-12-2011 by Paul_J]
SetH

9th Dec 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
People scared of driving shouldn't be allowed to drive

Agreed = hesitancy = accident

Well theres no such thing as an "accident" its incompetence causing a collision, does not happen accidently, happens because the driver is a MONG*

* Hit 4 times within 2 years all non fault i reserve my right to whinge
Steve
Premium Member

9th Dec 11 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by pow

As someone that commutes mostly on dual carriageway / motorway each day - I can practically be half asleep, chilled out, listening to radio 1 each day - rather than A road stop / start ... stop / start.

I think people get afraid of being 'stuck in the wrong lane' or they have a gutless car which can't accelerate onto the motorway / into gaps. By the time I join the motorway, I'm already go so much faster than all the traffic on the motorway I just pick and choose the gap I want until I get to the outside lane.

[Edited on 09-12-2011 by Paul_J]

same i cannot stand people that do 50mph to join a motorway, this drives me mad and i start waving my arms about in the car
SetH

9th Dec 11 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Steve, its fucking dangerous!

same with people that join a dual carriage way at 40, WTF is that all about.
richc

9th Dec 11 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with both of the above.

I use to love having a fast car. Pulling into traffic and with a matter few mere seconds be going faster than everyone

Now it takes a goo 17 minutes to do 70.
oceansoul

9th Dec 11 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Learners can be faced with speeds of 70 whilst learning though. Dual carriageway with national speed limit. I had to go on them whilst i was learning.
AlunJ

9th Dec 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loads of people I know won't drive on motorways, I prefer driving on them and dual carriageways myself

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driving test changes...now to include Motorway 23 database queries in 0.0126240 seconds