corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Sound Insulation

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sound Insulation
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Nov 11 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Next door's bedroom is right next to ours, the wall is fairly thick i think with thermalite blocks/boarded etc so wondering if the sound is travelling under the floorboards and up? I've got laminate floor, thinking carpet and underlay will help, wondering whether to stuff insulation under the floorboards aswell? It's mainly talking and kids shouting noise, does my head in at 6am when i'm on a weekend off!
Any tips? I would try and insulate the wall more but the bedroom door is right up to the wall now so there isn't any more clearance?
Jake

6th Nov 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how old is the house?
Tom J
Premium Member

6th Nov 11 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1900s. Its a terrace. My house and next door was knocked into one house and where the offending wall was rebuilt before i moved in. That's how i know its a few layers thick
sc0ott

7th Nov 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably travelling through the joists. Open up the floor and just pack it up using sound insulation.
jrsteeve

8th Nov 11 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are there any electric sockets in the party wall? If so check how well they're filled around as this can often be the source. It's airborne sound so it's all about checking for gaps that allow the sound to travel. Could even be shoddy mortar joints if they weren't converted well.
richardworrall
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 21:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Earplugs
Jules S
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrsteeve
Are there any electric sockets in the party wall? If so check how well they're filled around as this can often be the source. It's airborne sound so it's all about checking for gaps that allow the sound to travel. Could even be shoddy mortar joints if they weren't converted well.

Could be, but you would 'expect' it to be a cavity wall between properties so it's unlikely to be joints/chases between rooms.

I say 'rooms', because the loft space party wall might be another matter.

Tom J
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a word with my neighbour who built the offending wall. apparently downstairs its block and thermalite, but upstairs its just thermalite and obviously the board on top (on each side)
sc0ott

10th Nov 11 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When did he carry out the works?
Jake

10th Nov 11 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thermalite is a type of block
Dave

10th Nov 11 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thermalite should have similar sound properties to concrete block, if not better.

FWIW I think it's still more likely to be coming through the walls, modern houses have an extra layer of sound proof plaster that goes directly to the walls and is then boarded over to keep sound transfer down on party walls. You can also get sound proof plaster boards that helps too.
sc0ott

10th Nov 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use a dense block for party walls, 35mm accoustic insulation in the cavity and plasterboard on strapping on the internal face.

Check if there is a building warrant for it and what details were submitted if possible.

New Poll