corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New astra coupe 1.8

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New astra coupe 1.8
n1tr0u5

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

Haven't been on here in quite a while, well bloody ages really many home issues have been keeping me busy but I had still been tinkering away with my old corsa (some may remember it) until I managed to sell for a tidy price considering it had a few issues and started saving for a new motor. At first I was going to buy a 1.4 sport but after a few quotes I found I could afford an astra coupe . So after trekking to Bury and back from Coventry I arrived with a tidy coupe with 80k on it, heated leather seats, air con etc.

Pretty much as soon as it was home the mods began, i'll stick a little list up for ya'll:
Vectra sri alloys refurbished in Rover amysthest (or the correct spelling) grey,
Sportex race tube,
Gt3 twin 3" slash cut backbox,
Crosshatch grille,
Lower grill sprayed grey (badly, will redo it at somepoint),
Mirror base plates sprayed gloss black,
Hammerited all the arches.

Not bad for a months ownership

Plans are:
Some fast road cams,
Arp bolts,
Remap with raised rev limit,
Spray the rear chrome strip gloss black,
Shark fin,
Spray the lower section of the rear bumper the same grey as the front grill,
Flocked centre console,
Carbon wrapped interior pillars,
Black roof lining,
Remove some sound deadening from the rear and strip out the back seats,
Spray exposed interior metal silver,
Maybe fit a half cage,
Omp deep dish wheel,
Maybe Omp buckets,
60mm drop with some camber,
Laguna splitter.

And thats all I can think of for now

Anyways time for some pictures:

The old Corsa:

The Astra as it stands now:

Suggestions etc welcome, hope its ok to stick this on a corsa website

Cheers,
Matt

[Edited on 23-10-2011 by n1tr0u5]
DannyB
Premium Member

23rd Oct 11 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra looks nice pal, get some smaller profile tyres if I was you though, lose the wheel nut covers and get it lowered
n1tr0u5

23rd Oct 11 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate you have taste. Yes the tyres came with the wheels so i'm just using up my moneys worth of tread then i'll get some lower profile'd ones. Lowering will hopefully be the next big thing for it.
Ah the covers are just hiding the rusty nuts at the moment
Jed D

23rd Oct 11 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as danny said, tyres and lowered, your onto a winner

has the front bumper been painted before?? slight over spray on the splitter and is the middle bottom bit of it black normally?? maybe just my eyeshite

[Edited on 23-10-2011 by JedDy]
n1tr0u5

23rd Oct 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope the bumper was originally all silver till I had a go with it. Sadly I paid the price for buying cheap masking tape and some of the spray actually soaked through, its worse up close tbh. Going to redo it at some point when its not too cold.
Good spot as opposed to eyeshite haha.
Jed D

23rd Oct 11 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers

should do the lip of the bonnet aswell. get rid of the rust bubbles all petty really. nice motor

[Edited on 23-10-2011 by JedDy]
n1tr0u5

23rd Oct 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries.

Ah but these arn't just any rust bubbles, these are rotten through everytime you open/close the bonnet more bits fall off rust bubbles . So a new bonnet will be ordered soon

Cheers, its a world away from my old corsa with its dodgey rattles and upside down springs (diy at its finest )

[Edited on 23-10-2011 by n1tr0u5]
n1tr0u5

18th Nov 11 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Minor Update:

Nothing much been happening really just saving up for new tyres, coilovers and brakes however I have painted the calipers gold and used it an excuse to take pics after a good polish haha.

Pretty chuffed with how its going. Sounds like the waterpump is a bit whiny so i'll change that and the cambelt too at the start of the new year.

Comments welcome
n1tr0u5

18th Dec 11 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Little update:
Got some thinner tyres on now, perfect size and I would recommend them to anyone. Nankang ns2's and only 40 quid a corner from Camskill. Also got some smoked side repeaters on order.

Come January I'll get some fk coilovers and space the wheels out a bit. Thinking about doing a rather unique colour for the wheels and wing mirror covers. Here's the colour
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURPLE-SPARKLE-PEARL-AEROSOL-CAN-CANDY-CUSTOM-FLIP-/180693130333?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2a12265c5d#ht_2517wt_1132

Would like some opinions on the colour Other options are bronze and just silver again.

Will get some pics up soon.

[Edited on 18-12-2011 by n1tr0u5]
Alex_Rally

18th Dec 11 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think there canny cars mate, ive got the cabby version. i bet it feels like a bit step up to the corsa . much nicer drive . is it the 1.8 ?
n1tr0u5

18th Dec 11 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by geordie_corsa
i think there canny cars mate, ive got the cabby version. i bet it feels like a bit step up to the corsa . much nicer drive . is it the 1.8 ?

Yes it feels like such a "grown up" car compared to a corsa. That being said I do sometimes miss the go-karting and simple fun of a corsa. Yes its the 1.8 mate, wouldn't mind the turbo as my next car tbh. Hows the economy in yours? I can squeeze out around 110 miles to 20 quid with some spirited driving in.

Cheers for the feedback though
Alex_Rally

18th Dec 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no where near that lol, the elec roof must make it heavy i think. doesnt get that kind of mileage
n1tr0u5

18th Dec 11 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right still, the cabby is a lovely car. Mine feels very calibraish if there is such a word.
Just want it on the floor and with candy purple wheels and i'll be happy .
Alex_Rally

18th Dec 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would love to have mine decked but the wife uses it mostly and we have a steep driveway entrance so it nearly catches now so any lower and would pull the splitter off lol i just use the mondeo for work. wile the corsa in the garage in lots of bits lol
n1tr0u5

23rd Jan 12 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey all long time no update.

The car has had many highs a few lows most of which being it injuring me however I reckon its going in the right direction

Got some pics below of the new additions and their results.

So this arrived in the post XD.

And I promptly got round to fitting them. Although when fitting the rear springs I couldn't for the life of me get the shock off the rear axle so I compressed the rear springs to get them in. As I got the second one in one of the compressors poped off trapping my finger in the coil "OUCHHHH". Went off to 'horsepital' and i'd fractured it nicely... great.

On the plus side the car looks good .

Also as you can see I've got smoked side repeaters now too.

And to any Astra owners I can't recommend these springs enough. The car sticks to the road way past its previous limits and it feels so much safer. Also the comfort has barely been affected. Harsh bumps are just a little bit more harsh but apart from that its like the standard springs. However I have scraped the exhaust once or twice on massive bumps.

And on that note I thought I'd try a "ghetto" exhaust fix for a massively blowing exhaust.

Didn't take anymore pics after that because I got annoyed that my genius idea didnt work. So I bought the proper stuff and sealed it properly.

Also...
got rust?

Beats most corsa bonnets that haha!

So plans are:
New bonnet,
Air filter,
veccy c intake,
decat manifold,
weld in a sports cat to the downpipe,
gas flowed inlet,
remap,
done

C&C welcome
Ben G

23rd Jan 12 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it doesn't look any lower to me.
n1tr0u5

23rd Jan 12 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
it doesn't look any lower to me.

I see what you mean, its the angle of my road doesn't really help. I'll try and get some pictures on level ground. Measured the gaps before and after and its dropped 3cm, what their ment to do really so I'm pretty chuffed. Cheers for the feedback
n1tr0u5

8th Feb 12 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update time again.
Decided to do some spraying at what is most likely the worst time of year to spray. Still got the wood fire going up the garage on got started on the rear bumper. It was rather hard to mask off the area I did because there is no definitive edge to the curve. Also getting the bumper off was a every fixing was rusted through so I had to saw into them and use a flathead screwdriver, the joys.

Still I think it looks pretty good . I've also sprayed the chrome strip bmw mercury grey along with the c pillar trims. Got some pictures showing it off. Also now its on level ground its a bit easier to tell its lowered, although only 30mm.

Next plans are a new bonnet first. Then i'm doing the wheels and front bumper grill black. Grey roof, centre console and some light brows. Then thats the looks side of things done really. Who knows from there tbh.

Comments welcome

Edit: Reckon it could so with some spacers too.

[Edited on 08-02-2012 by n1tr0u5]
n1tr0u5

23rd Feb 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Updates XD

Got a few additions to the car recently . Nothing major but it was an excuse to take some photo's

Missus got me some light brows , ignore the rust, its meant to do that

Sprayed the centre console ford graphite grey, the paint finish isn't great but it will do until warmer weather. Also swapped the position of the cd player as I couldn't get it back in the top slot.

And today I managed to refurbish two of my wheels, doing the other two tmrw.

Sanded and filled

Primered the bits I needed to.

All done, the centre caps will be staying the same grey to fit in with the grey and black scheme.

Also painted the brakes silver, well only the rears so far but i'll do the fronts when I take the wheels off

More pics when its done, comments welcome
n1tr0u5

13th Mar 12 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey all again . Right done one or two things recently . Firstly I got hold of a new bonnet so no more rust, Managed to put a screwdriver straight through the old one . Also done some bits to the engine bay to start tidying it up. Over the next month or two I'm just going to be making sure everything is in good condition seen as I don't actually have any money to do much else

Here's some pictures anyways:

And this one is my favorite, I think I got the angle perfect

Also I have found a splitter on ebay that has caught my eye, this would be sprayed black if I get it in May, any opinions are welcome.

Cheers all for reading! :thumbs_up:
whitter45

13th Mar 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice looking car - i would lose the headlight brows personally
n1tr0u5

2nd Apr 12 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only a little update but an update none the less

Sprayed some engine bits polar sea blue. Quite like the colour and I'm going to spray the cam cover this colour soon also.

Engine is running a bit nasty and needs some looking at, the crank sensor is on its way out, the thermostat is stuck on so it hardly ever reaches temperature. Also there is a whining coming from the alternator area and the throttle is a bit sticky on cold. I've checked the aux belt and it needs changing so hopefully that will cure one problem relatively quickly. The other problems are causing the engine to run rich and is giving it flat spots. So I'll sort all these problems when I get paid.

I plan to space the wheels out soon also and maybe get the roof sprayed gloss black.

Cheers for reading
n1tr0u5

10th Apr 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a wee update to stick on here again.

Resprayed the front grill of my bumper properly this time . Looks much better now.

Before, notice all the stone chips from not protecting it properly.

And back on and finished again

Ignore the arch gap here just dropped it off the jack and the camber of the road doesn't help.

Tomorrow I'm spraying the rear boot bar black also. Then sometime in the next week or so I've gotta sort out this leaky sump. Although its the slowest of leaks (around a drop a day) I'm a sad perfectionist when it comes to my car running right and its annoying me . Started saving for a few extra mods before working on getting more power come may like some wheel spacers and other little things like bulbs.

Comments, suggestions and criticism welcome

[Edited on 10-04-2012 by n1tr0u5]
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

10th Apr 12 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks smart mate

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
n1tr0u5

10th Apr 12 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers pal. just realised I need to de-tango the headlights, dam egg yoke lights.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New astra coupe 1.8 24 database queries in 0.1098728 seconds