corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Do all Corsa C's share the same steering rack?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Do all Corsa C's share the same steering rack?
Mike GSi

User status: Offline
10th Oct 11 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked at a Corsa C SRI Yesterday for the missus, the car was spot on apart from a bit of noise/play from the steering rack. The car is a bargain, but needs a new rack, looked on ebay and they all seem to be for a corsa c 2000-2006 no specific models or engine sizes? are they all the same eps unit? Thanks.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Oct 11 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rack ends go on these as well, might not need the entire thing changing.

Not entirely sure on the job because I didn't do it on my mates car but it wasn't ridiculous money.
Mike GSi

10th Oct 11 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a look under and its had new rod ends, whether the owner thought they where the problem and just replaced those maybe!? I read last night that its the bushes inside the rack that ware out. I'm not entirely sure how they look etc so perhaps it is just those. if not a refurbed OEM one is £50 off ebay.

As said the car is a bargain so im not too fussed if it does require a little money thrown at it.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Oct 11 at 20:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus with EPS the rack itself isn't a massive job because you've no pipes to mess with in the bay. Just the four bulkhead bolts and the retainer on the column and it should be free.
Joe

10th Oct 11 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's more than likely just the rack ends as Ian said..

Like so
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CORSA-C-INNER-TIE-ROD-STEERING-RACK-END-X-2-/300454659288?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f47e44d8
Mike GSi

11th Oct 11 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok well I'll get the rack taken off and inspected before I buy a new one. Hopefully it is just the rack ends.
Joe

11th Oct 11 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No need to take the rack off. May aswell change it if your doing that. Can do rack ends with it on the car. It's pretty much certain to be them.
Mike GSi

11th Oct 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks Joe. As said the rod ends have been changed so the only other option is the other bushes. The tracking has also been set up wrong.
Rob E

11th Oct 11 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also worth noting that there was a recall on racks over a certain chassis range with the original fault being due to what you have described
Mike GSi

11th Oct 11 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right, thats interesting. Will look through the history properly when i go to collect it.
T21SVJ

11th Oct 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can check by phoneing vauxhall or by looking on the dvla website think theres a link.
Mike GSi

11th Oct 11 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if vauxhall say that it hasnt been doen, are they required to do it? Probably a daft question lol.
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Oct 11 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they'll normally still do it even if it's an old one if it's related to safety.

My Astra had a wiring loom one recently and that car is five years old on its third owner.
Mike GSi

11th Oct 11 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh really, ill give them a call tomorrow.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Do all Corsa C's share the same steering rack? 22 database queries in 0.0137691 seconds