corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :(

New Poll
  <<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :(
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Mar 13 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More tweaking.

The Dials have a small 'VXR' logo on them, which doesn't illuminate as standard. Which is a bit gay.

Asking about illuminating it on other forums generally gets no useful other advice other than 'pay someone to do an SMD Conversion and illuminate the Logo at the same time' - this is no use to me as I think the SMD dials look crap, and I quite like the OE illumination as it's not harsh on the eyes atall.

Anyway. A vague post on Vec-C.com suggested that you could illuminate the Logo without SMDs or the addition of extra lamps. So, after whipping the clocks out, I dismantled them and checked the feasibility of the idea and then very carefully scratched at back of the Printed film of the dials with a precision screwdriver, and eventually fully uncovered the logo. The original lamps illuminate the whole area or bowl behind each gauge, so would also illuminate the logo.

I rebuilt the dials, spent ages setiing the needles, refitted them to the car for testing, and this was the result;

MatthewR

8th Mar 13 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice touch
Ben G

8th Mar 13 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that's pretty cool for such a small, subtle mod! those dials look really sharp. i like them
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Mar 13 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

Been wanting it illuminated for ages, info on the subject is that minimal/vague. Glad I've done it now though.

Themore visible logo makes the Dial Sweep on startup just seem that little more appropriate now...
BeetleGav

8th Mar 13 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should charge people you have asked a fortune for the mod for being so unhelpful if they now want it doing.
dont tell them how lol
djgritt
Premium Member

23rd Mar 13 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Final component for the Automatic stuff sourced, received and fitted;

EX type Rain Sensor;

Sensor details for anyone looking for numbers in the future;

Fitted;

No more empty space;

Now, Tech2 programming is needed and it's all done
Ben G

23rd Mar 13 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that sensor is rather strange. it should be blue all over for it to work properly (or at least thats the case with my car).
djgritt
Premium Member

23rd Mar 13 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
that sensor is rather strange. it should be blue all over for it to work properly (or at least thats the case with my car).

It's a genuine item for the Vectra, so don't believe it to be strange atall?

Remember that different manufacturers would use varying suppliers/designs/types of Sensor, so going by how it looks isn't always accurate
AlexW

23rd Mar 13 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same sensor as per renaults, How much was it from vauxhall if you don't mind me asking?
Chris x

23rd Mar 13 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as my mondeo aswel, blue bit does the wipers, white bit in the middle does the headlights iirc.

[Edited on 23-03-2013 by Chris x]
djgritt
Premium Member

23rd Mar 13 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
Same sensor as per renaults, How much was it from vauxhall if you don't mind me asking?

Got it new/unused on eBay, so don't know, sorry!
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Apr 13 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was up at the BTCC at Brands Hatch over Easter Weekend;

4 people + kit = InstaLOWs

On the VXR Power Event parking area;

djgritt
Premium Member

22nd Apr 13 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not long finished moving, and finally have somewhere to store the car!

But, older house = smaller more slimline garage...

( The door does open, but not a great deal, just enough to get out. I'd left the engine running and would have had to fully get in to turn it off, so just climbed instead... First and last time it will be reversed in though! )
djgritt
Premium Member

30th Apr 13 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to Castle Combe this weekend just gone.

I had the Friday beforehand booked off to make sure I was home for the weekend and to clean the car.

Now, as I am no longer living on the farm, I no longer have to deal with a 1.5 mile dusty/gravelly lane to get to & from the house any more, this means less dust being blown about the place and more of a chance to give the car a more thorough clean, and eventually give it its first Polish etc since buying it...

It even got Clayed - I'd not used the kit for a good couple of years and the car had all sorts of shit stuck to it - this was the result of an average pass;

The polishing etc though was worthwhile, it actually reflects and looked good for it too. May have to do this a little more frequently than every 18 months.

Then, up at Combe.
1x Track session done. still not sure of using this for it, still can't 'connect' with it on Track like I did with my Corsa

DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

30th Apr 13 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked great saturday mate,nice to speak too,even if it was for like 5 mins haha.

Can't believe how much dirt come off car.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Matt L

3rd May 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are these like to drive/live with?
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id love one of these
djgritt
Premium Member

3rd May 13 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
What are these like to drive/live with?

Not bad really, admittedly can be an 'acquired taste' sort of car though. Think they get a lot of respect as such, but few people actually give them a chance

- Standard Vauxhall Servicing costs/intervals, nothing really out of the ordinary in regards to maintenance.
- Fuel consumption is fair - high 20s/low 30s - unless you give it a load of stick, can drain a tank in mid Teens and less than 200 miles quite easily and happily!
- Tax. Offensive if you get a later 280PS model. £475 per year. Most earlier 255PS models are half that though, depends on their reg date.
- Comfortable. Really comfortable, the Recaros are great and there is plenty of room to comfortably move up to 4 adults over distance. Big boot for loads too.
- Grunty. Mine is still on the standard 280PS map, goes well and will do an indicated 160+ quite happily, been there... Haha. A nice torquey engine that has well matched gearing too. It will do 30mph in 6th gear without any struggle, which makes cruising through varying limits as found on rural A-roads a breeze, as you rarely need to change. They are very heavy though, so although they are quick, they can still be caught out by lighter fast Hatches.
- Handling - completely disregard the Top Gear reviews, they are jothing like they were portrayed to be. Yes, some torque steer can happen, but it is a powerful, turbocharged FWD car. It is completely manageable though, I never found it a problem atall.
- Fairly tuneable, a Stage 1 Remap alone will see around 300bhp/400lb.ft on either 255/280PS Models. Supposedly it completely transforms the car. Other things can be done such as uprated Exhausts, Radiators, Intercoolers & Turbos, but most tuning stops at around 340bhp/430lb.ft.

- Standard 19 Wheels can crack, so most people go for 18s or Aftermarket. I changed mine to Aftermarket before the originals had a chance to crack.
- DAP or H&R lowering springs make a significant improvement to the ride & handling. Not toooo pricey either. The standarsd IDS Shocks are fine if they aren't leaking/faulty.

Oh, and Arden Blue is poo.

EVO Mag rate them fairly well - http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/65185/mitsubishi_evo_v_impreza_v_vectra_vxr_v_bmw_330i.html
djgritt
Premium Member

8th Jun 13 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basic PVS preparation;

New Lambda Spacer, to try to cure the Emissions lamp from intermittently coming on - when it does this, it disables 'Sport' mode, so I lose the sharper throttle action etc every time ot illuminates.

The Old spacer didn't work. New one is longer and has a smaller hole, and I've also put in a little bit of Wire Wool to give a little more restriction to the gas path. Will find out how it's worked soon enough...

I then washed it. Polishing before helped, took a lot less time tonight, although keeping water on it was a pain... Ha.

Thats it for now. Nice early start to get to Pod tomorrow... :/
BenC1985

8th Jun 13 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have that problem with my car as its so well polished and waxed. As soon as you spray it with the hose and turn your back, the waters gone. Lol Looks great by the way.
Simon_16v

9th Jun 13 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Such an awesome barge!

Where did you get the lambda sensor from? Could do with one for when I put my decat back on
djgritt
Premium Member

9th Jun 13 at 12:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Such an awesome barge!

Where did you get the lambda sensor from? Could do with one for when I put my decat back on

Cheers

I got this Spacer - http://bit.ly/1bkaey7

Seller is in Eastern Europe, takes a few days to come through...
djgritt
Premium Member

10th Jun 13 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So then, PVS.

Firstly, the Lambda Spacer seems to be working well. No Emissions Fault & perfect operation. Sport mode has been missed and was well used this weekend!

I took the car up to Santa Pod for PVS 2013 - It was my first time at PVS for 7 years. I last went in 2006, hated it, and vowed to never return. However, that went wrong, I went, and this time quite enjoyed myself.

Took the barge on the Strip 3 times.

First time was my first time ever, didn't realise the lights changed so quickly and sat there with it green whilst my brain engaged and set off. No other issues.

Second & Third times were much improved in regards to setting off.

Managed to get it to wheelspin/burnout a bit beforehand on each run, haven't managed to do it in a McDonalds car-park beforehand, so was happy with that. Must be the water...

Sport Mode on launch has a taste for clutch, it slipped on the 2 times I kept Sport on throughout... May have to upgrade it or just practice a bit more.

No ideas on what times it was pulling, as said, was my first ever time on the strip, so was quite happy just bashing it up there. Wasn't really fussed on figures atall.

Pics;

djgritt
Premium Member

15th Jul 13 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Attended the 2013 VBOA National Rally at Billing this weekend. My favourite event of the year.

Started on Friday morning and drove up to Costco in Bristol to meet up with a fellow Club Admin and pick up all the Club BBQ Supplies for the weekend;

Nice steady drive up to Northampton from there saw a very economical run in the car, in fact it must have been so economical that it made the on-board computer VERY optimistic when I stopped to top it up to allow me to just drive straight home on the Sunday;

It didn't reach that range btw - managed just over half of that...

Cleaned the car with quick detailer sprays etc whilst I was there, nothing exciting really, still shiny from Combe in April TBH!

Whilst I was there over the weekend, I met up with a user from the Vectra-C Forums who had Tech2 on site. He activated all of the retrofitted Auto Lights/Wipers system, and it all seems to work now.
After being previously quoted a couple of hours programming at £60p/h, I was pretty happy to give him a 12pk of Becks at £9 to do it all for me!

Also, I ended up finding somebody who had a bulk of Vectra VXR parts from one he had been breaking. He had the Full Exhaust system with him, but I didn't have the funds available to buy the Cat Back system (I wanted the Backboxes and he wouldn't split - wanted £320 for the System!)
However, he was willing to split the Cat from the rest, so I ended up buying that - this means I have a spare and can go Full Decat soon... That will mean 3 of the 5 boxes on the system will have been removed, with only the 2 Rear Boxes remaining. Should lift the volume a little bit more...

That's probably it until either Trax or Combe in September, not sure it'll get much use between now and then!
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

15th Jul 13 at 10:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice to see car again this weekend mate. Looked clean as always.

Seen as I didn't get chance to speak I'll see you at Combe.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13    14  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 2007 Vectra VXR - **SOLD!!** :( 24 database queries in 0.0197170 seconds