corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Champions League - Standard of Football

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Champions League - Standard of Football
Hammer

User status: Offline
14th Sep 11 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just watching the highlights from all of the games from the past 2 nights and thought I'd start a thread to see folks general opinions of the standard there is in the competition just now?

Some of the goals, the interplay and even the defensive organisation are incredible to watch, it is the pinnacle of modern football. Barca v Milan, Man City v Napoli and Arsenal v Dortmund all top, top drawer games of football for any neutral.

I've never seen an International game or even a league game, maybe apart from La Liga and more specifically Barca, with such entertaining end to end football and such quality at both ends of the pitch.

I think it is better now than it ever has been, despite all the negativity surrounding everything nowadays (mainly finances). Quality stuff.
Russ

14th Sep 11 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree.
JonnyJ

14th Sep 11 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always thought this really.

Probably why Celtic and Rangers arent good enough for it anymore
Hammer

14th Sep 11 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although we've both been to a European final in the last 8 years I agree.

We can't compete at that level in any way, shape or form. Our Europa League group is not far off Champions League level, we'll see how big the gap is tomorrow night
JonnyJ

14th Sep 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was only jesting anyway mate

You're right though, the CL is as good as its ever been, you never see a night that doesnt include several amazing strikes and some brilliant football in general.

I think they could do with slimming it down a little bit more though, far too many teams in it these days but that will never happen due to how commercially successful it is, if anything it will just get bigger, which would be a shame, as it will dilute to quality.

As a neutral though, great stuff to watch.
Eck
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 02:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was about to wage in here and disagree if you thought it was shit Paul The "lesser" teams have upped their game immensely and have produced great football. There isn't a team, bar Inter, who has looked bad. Imo, Inter will crash out in this group under that wanker manager.
Hammer

15th Sep 11 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apoel v Zenit was a good game and Genk v Valencia, even though it ended nil nil had a couple of quality moments such as an overhead bicycle kick off the bar
Tom

15th Sep 11 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed. I think the fact the teams are all at the pinnacle of their respective leagues, and the fact all of these leagues have a different style is what makes it so interesting. All of the top teams try and impose themselves on their domestic rivals and it's fascinating to see how, when pitted against other 'top sides' from different leagues, they make the most of what they've got. Of course, you get some absolute stinking games too, but in the main it's a pretty awesome competition.

Playing in the Europa league just doesn't compare at all, even the difference in music UEFA use has an effect

[Edited on 15-09-2011 by Tom]
mwg

15th Sep 11 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Napoli looked good.

Bit frustrated with the United game last night but it was far from the 1st team that was playing so I guess a point away is ok.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Benfica seemed a pretty decent outfit last night
Hammer

15th Sep 11 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Napoli looked good.

Bit frustrated with the United game last night but it was far from the 1st team that was playing so I guess a point away is ok.

Hamsik, Cavani and Lavezzi would cost you over £100 million.
Jamie Walby

15th Sep 11 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id be more disappointed drawing away with the runners up from Portugal than the champions of Germany.
AlexSXI

15th Sep 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said this to a mate whilst watching City v Napoli last night.

It was only 3-4 years ago the English clubs would beat some of the teams 6-0 or more and home and 2-0 or more away, and that was consistantly happening, apart from the spanish clubs.

Although last year and already this year the european clubs have definately upped their game. I fancy Napoli to go far, and Milan looked good in the Nou Camp.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the competition is stiffer across europe even at international level
Tom

15th Sep 11 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

crawl back in your hole you gimp
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 10:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clutching at straws now tom
Hammer

15th Sep 11 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one gives a flying fuck about International level. Which was partly the reason I started the thread.
Jamie Walby

15th Sep 11 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

crawl back in your hole you gimp

Thought that was fair comment from Steve to be honest!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Champions League - Standard of Football 23 database queries in 0.0077589 seconds