corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » The iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and 6g4s Thread

New Poll
  <<  43    44    45    46    47    48    49  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and 6g4s Thread
Rob_Quads

User status: Offline
5th Oct 11 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Apple completely forgetting about previous generation users with a feature, that's a surprise.

Unlike Android which always supports new features on old phones.... oh hang on
mwg

5th Oct 11 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only time I can see me using this Siri thing is when I'm driving. Will be really useful for sending and reading texts handsfree (if it turns out to be any good).
John

5th Oct 11 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do unless the phone doesn't have the processing power to do it.

All Apple phones are amazing though so should surely be able to handle a bit of voice recognition
A2H GO

5th Oct 11 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Does it require a button press to start listening to you?

Press and hold the home button.
Rob_Quads

5th Oct 11 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not voice recognision - thats the point your missing. Its natural language processing which is a whole different ballgame.

Just take a look at IBM Watson to see how much power you need to do it properly
A2H GO

5th Oct 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paypal do it easily enough on their helpline
Toby
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Toby
http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/iphone-4s-vs-the-smartphone-elite-galaxy-s-ii-bionic-and-tita/

6 month old Samsung is still beating it for spec

5 year old iPhone 2G is still beating Samsung for user experience.

Spec on a phone means nearly fuck all if the software is a mess.

Fair enough that some prefer Android, but don't close your eyes to the fact, that the overall experience of an iPhone is, if not necessarily better for everyone, then vastly different.

In your opinion its lesser, i dont like it either but wouldnt say the iphones provide any revolutionary matrerial here either.

The spec sheet is fact and does come into play other wise we would be sat with the same bricks they started with years ago.

Just dont like the fact that Apple drip feeds technology to it users and i think this time there will be more wise to it than before
John

5th Oct 11 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said, you clearly haven't used an android phone and have read about it on the internet.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul J fanboy
BarnshaW

5th Oct 11 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john looks nothing like that, i got a picture of john, looks like a psycho
Rob_Quads

5th Oct 11 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Android is so good whats HTC Sense all about?
mwg

5th Oct 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting a bit personal in here isn't it? It's only a phone
adiohead

5th Oct 11 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As I said, you clearly haven't used an android phone and have read about it on the internet.

I have used an Android phone (HTC Desire HD) and Paul is correct. Christ, before the last update it was crashing on a daily basis.

Doug

5th Oct 11 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to say that HTC Sense is not my cup of tea. I always go for a stock vanilla ROM on my devices. I have never had a crash nor a problem of any kind.

Currently running a HTC Desire and looking to upgrade. I am tempted by the 4S, but then again, the screen is smaller than my current phone!

I will wait and see what the Nexus Prime looks like before I make a choice!

There is a lot of hating going on in here, maybe by people that don't have much experience of both OSes
Kerry

5th Oct 11 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pre ordering mine Friday...
Balling
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disclaimer: Before reading my reply, please note two things:

1. I present this as my opinion, not as fact.

2. It's arguments like Paul's that make every iPhone user look like a twat.

quote:
People in here saying iOS is massively better seriously haven't had an android phone have they, a wildfire doesn't count.

Android isn't a clunky slow OS, on something like the Galaxy S2 it's amazingly fast and smooth.

As I pointed out earlier, Apple think the interface on the Samsung is that close to theirs that they are in court over it so can someone please explain to me what's better about iOS?

The fact it's locked down and you can use it the way Apple decide?

Come on John, you know very well that the layout of a UI is not synonymous with the user experience.

That's what Samsung thinks, however. Hence them blatantly copying iOS style (not thereby saying Apple hasn't stolen anything from Android).

What for me ruins the user experience on Android is the inconsistent menu structure. It's a mess of functions scattered to the left and right and I never seem to find a menu item where I expect it. Not a huge issue if you don't mind or even love messing around with your phone and learning to know it, but there is NO learning curve with iOS. My 3 year old nephew can use iOS!

Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 11:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you suggesting the iOS is designed for people with a mental age of 3
Paul_J

5th Oct 11 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Disagree, I have used android phones and their UI is bad, clunky and slow/stuttery. As I said my colleagues have android phones, hero, desire, sensation and galaxy s2 and they all feel horrible to actually use. Their defence is always to try to justify the poor UI / OS by quoting specs... 'Ah but my galaxy s2 has a 1.2 dual core processor'

The question is, have you really used an iOS device? or do you just disregard it because
Paul_J

5th Oct 11 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
It's a mess of functions scattered to the left and right and I never seem to find a menu item where I expect it. Not a huge issue if you don't mind or even love messing around with your phone and learning to know it, but there is NO learning curve with iOS. My 3 year old nephew can use iOS!

Exactly

Android OS has been designed by programmers, not by UI / UX designers.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i believe john owns/owned an iphone
Sam
Premium Member

5th Oct 11 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO the way things are laid out on my iPhone 4 make more sense than what I've seen/used on Android phones. And yes I have used Android phones that are not HTC Wildfires
John

5th Oct 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had an iPhone for months and I've actually got one again just now although not using it as a phone.

Using your mates phone for 2 minutes is not the same as using it for all tasks day in day out.

Android doesn't have a learning curve unless you want to do anything that's a few levels down, in which case you'll work out how to do it anyway.

My mum and dad both have android phones now, both get on well with them with minimum instruction from me, just the same as iOS.

I was buying a 4S until the keynote yesterday btw (I still might but I doubt it now).
jacko198

5th Oct 11 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
Depends how varied it is I guess, I mean, could I ask it "Who are crewe playing this weekend" and then it'd automatically search the net and answer for me? - That'd actually be quite impressive

It does. BBC did a wikipedia example. You ask Search wikipedia for crewe and it will bring up the page for you.

Can also respond to texts, E.G someone txts asking if you are free friday. You ask the phone "check diary friday" it will check it and tell you, you are free, then send a reply to the person saying "Im free Friday"

Pretty decent tbh!
mwg

5th Oct 11 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When will you actually use it apart from when driving though? You'll look like a twat using it any other time.
John

5th Oct 11 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's useful, if you don't have the phone in your hands.

<<  43    44    45    46    47    48    49  >>

New Poll