corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » fibreglass vs carbon

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fibreglass vs carbon
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
9th Aug 11 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is fibreglass the cheap mans carbon?

which is lighter?

is it shit?
Ben G

9th Aug 11 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

proper carbon fibre is a lot stronger hence being more expensive.

fibre glass is pretty light though.
taylorboosh

9th Aug 11 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watching a fibreglass bonnet and boot for the imp on ebay is all... hinges on if i win the cage or not
alan-g-w

9th Aug 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See when you're saying imp, do you mean a hillman imp or an impreza?
FAZ
Premium Member

9th Aug 11 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hillman at a guess
alan-g-w

9th Aug 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought so too before but with this talk of cf and fibreglass it made me wonder
taylorboosh

9th Aug 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol its a hillman. Thread in projects
ed

9th Aug 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending on what you use, fibreglass can be stronger than carbon fibre. Carbon fibre has a higher strength to weight ratio than fibreglass however so you end up with lighter parts.

All depends on what you're trying to achieve.
ed

9th Aug 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carbon fibre is more expensive than fibreglass as the process of producing carbon filaments is more expensive than producing glass filaments.
ed

9th Aug 11 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It also depends a lot on the resin and layup techniques too. If fibreglass was shit, they wouldn't make aeroplanes and boats out of the stuff.

My two pence at least.
taylorboosh

10th Aug 11 at 05:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its for a road car, bonnet and boot need repairing/painting whatever happens, figured changing/upgrading is a good move
taylorboosh

10th Aug 11 at 06:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130560127730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130560437472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the parts in question

an offer may be made if i dont win this, my max bid is £200

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230656564201&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 11 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
its for a road car, bonnet and boot need repairing/painting whatever happens, figured changing/upgrading is a good move

for this purpose Fibreglass will be fine. However, I'm yet to see a GRP or FRP pattern part that is perfectly accurate though but that said many steel pattern parts aren't accurate either so you'll have to roll with panel gaps potentially.

The other issue with carbon is where the part has intricate bends/compund curvature/return lips/swage lines. You're stressing the material and can end up with distortion of the weave very easily. This leads to inherent weak/strong points.

I would guess that most pattern parts are spray laminated using a chopper gun to fire Chopped strands and resin at the mould surface, its cheap and effective but certainly not accurate as far as weight and thickness control go. I doubt they'll be made up of anything more than chop strand matt if they're hand laminated as the cost would be prohibitive to look at high end wovens

[Edited on 10-08-2011 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 11 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, just looked at the links, they're seemingly well put together; the moulding work looks pretty good actually and I'd guess its been vac bagged or infused to get such a neat underside finish - but then making a tool suitable for infusion on a part which I wouldn't imagine would be used that often would be unusual.

Looks good though, both parts. There may be a bit of finishing/surface finishing to do before painting
taylorboosh

10th Aug 11 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol that wont be my problem it will be toms if i can afford him when the time comes.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Aug 11 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't have thought it would be much though, sanding any tooling seam lines and trimming the edges if they're not .

If Tom hasn't got one (which I would guess he has) The merka tools are awesome to use when working on any GRP/FRP and virtually zero dust, they use an abrasive mesh as opposed to a sanding pad and draw a vacuum through the centre. I saw a hand paint product go from terrible, unusable finish to glass finish in 20minutes last week, awesome tools
taylorboosh

10th Aug 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said though tom isnt concrete. I will be wanting to use him though. Months away yet
xa0s
Banned

10th Aug 11 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always go for carbon over fibreglass where possible, fibreglass is cheap because it doesn't last as long and is more prone to rusting, hence being cheaper
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Aug 11 at 11:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
always go for carbon over fibreglass where possible, fibreglass is cheap because it doesn't last as long and is more prone to rusting, hence being cheaper

wow a non metal rusting
Steve
Premium Member

10th Aug 11 at 11:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf fibreglass rusting
kennySRi

10th Aug 11 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

smcGSI16V

10th Aug 11 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

FLOL!
taylorboosh

10th Aug 11 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flol fibreglass rusting..

Also i cant afford carbon
redtom

10th Aug 11 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone taking the bait
antnee

10th Aug 11 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never seen a fibre glass boat rust.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » fibreglass vs carbon 22 database queries in 0.1104648 seconds