corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO Detailers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO Detailers
A2H GO

User status: Offline
24th Jul 11 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've recently bought a new car, its in really good condition but the paintwork is covered in swirls, no doubt caused by kosovan hand car washers.

I'm off work this week so wouldn't mind having a go at tackling them. My mate has a machine polisher he's going to lend me as I've read its pretty much impossible to get them out by hand, only fill them.

I've ordered some Autosmart Tardis to remove all the tar and bugs etc before hand, should a use a clay bar with this or just a rag?

Following this what polish would you recommend I use, perhaps something not to abrasive bearing in mind it will be my first attempt with a machine polisher? And what pad?

Any tips, I'm guessing take it slow, low speed, a panel at a time, start somewhere inconspicuous and build up as you get more confident?

Matty SRi

24th Jul 11 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which part of a car is inconspicuous then?
taylorboosh

24th Jul 11 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Z4?
Stu

24th Jul 11 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Menzerna pads with Sonus polish and it seems a good combo for an amateur like me. Appears to be quite mild so it is difficult to do damage.

Few detailers on here though so Im sure they will be able to help better than me!

This is the kit I got:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/das-6-dual-action-polisher-sonus-kit/prod_520.html
A2H GO

24th Jul 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats looks like a good kit. Was hoping to just buy one pad and one bottle of polish though tbh.

I'll see how much the Sonus light cut is on eBay.
A2H GO

24th Jul 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
Z4?

1 Series.
taylorboosh

24th Jul 11 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh was trying to picture the indicator
Rich H

24th Jul 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tardis - spray on, leave to work for a few seconds, wipe off. It'll shift tar, but not bugs.

Clay bar afterwards though as that removes bonded contaminants - metallic fall out (although there is also a product purely to remove them too!) sap, overspray etc etc.

BMW paint is bloody hard, so good luck! Is it a DA or Rotary polisher?
A2H GO

24th Jul 11 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers rich, right need to get a clay bar aswel then, are the cheapish ones on eBay any good?

It's a rotary polisher. Probally a good thing the paint is hard, less chance of me messing it up. What pad and polish do you recommend?

Someone mentioned Meguires #82...

Or would it be raiser just go over it with some Autogylm SRP?
Rich H

24th Jul 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a Bilt Hamber clay bar - no need to separate lube, just normal tap water with a tiny bit of car shampoo is suffice.

Take it easy with the rotary, and keep the pad as flat as possible at all times. Depends what sort of levels of correction you're hoping to achieve. To get anything half decent, you usually need several hits, and 2 or 3 stages.

Look at Menzerna or 3M 3M pads are very good too. Meguiars 83 followed by 80 isn't bad, but is more a combo I'd use on a DA tbh.

SRP will do nothing but mask the swirls
A2H GO

24th Jul 11 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the advice mate. Ill take some more pics following, probably be exactly the same

Is this the polish you mean:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Menzerna-Super-Finish-SF4000-Polish-P0-85-RE5-250ml-/290569654969?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a74d12b9#ht_2103wt_905

[Edited on 24-07-2011 by A2H GO]
Rich H

24th Jul 11 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Menzerna and 3M are just brands of polish - within that they have different grades.

On a tough paint with 3M for example, you'd use green pad with green top followed by yellow pad with yellow top, and finished with blue pad with blue top. Then apply a wax over that.

This isn't aimed at you at all - a lot of people seem to see it like this, but it isn't quite as simple as moving a polisher over the paint with 1 polish and job done
A2H GO

24th Jul 11 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Menzerna and 3M are just brands of polish - within that they have different grades.

On a tough paint with 3M for example, you'd use green pad with green top followed by yellow pad with yellow top, and finished with blue pad with blue top. Then apply a wax over that.

This isn't aimed at you at all - a lot of people seem to see it like this, but it isn't quite as simple as moving a polisher over the paint with 1 polish and job done

So for the 3 stages (3 pads with 3 bottles of polish) its about £100. Whats the average charge for someone doing it for me?
Cole

24th Jul 11 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lots lol
Rich H

24th Jul 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need more than 1 pad of each type too

Depends on the level of correction you'd want achieving tbh, location also alters prices too (along with the usual cost of living thing I suppose!) I'd offer, but you're a bit far away

Speak to Scott Brown @ Beau Technique and till him I sent you he should be able to quote you / help you out.
LeeM

24th Jul 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
Ahhh was trying to picture the indicator

its a bmw badge on the z
big eck

24th Jul 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the best stuff to get bug guts and bird shit of paint work???
Rich H

24th Jul 11 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bug guts - mild solution of all purpose cleaner, but don't let it dry on as it will stain paint. It will also slightly strip the wax etc, so remember to top that bit up from time to time

Bird shite - wash off quickly! Or use a quick detailer. AG make bird dropping wipes too iirc.
A2H GO

24th Jul 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right

Option 1: remove swirls = several passes with varying levels of pad and polish, £100

Option 2: hide swirls = couple of passes with SRP, £10

Might just hide them and repeat every few months
Rich H

24th Jul 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want to mask them, use SRP to begin with, then a glaze for further filling Then the wax. Will still be far cheaper

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO Detailers 22 database queries in 0.0135322 seconds