corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R53 Mini Cooper S JCW - Now For Sale

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R53 Mini Cooper S JCW - Now For Sale
Rich H

User status: Offline
7th Jul 11 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well seeing as I never intended to modify this car, I didn't think a project thread would be necessary Ah well...

Purchased last July as a bit of a spur of the moment thing. Sold the XE to put more money towards the business, but then had a couple of very good months, so was able to justify treating myself a bit!

I wanted a Cooper S with high spec, but then found this JCW with everything apart from the heated seats and heated screen that I wanted. Took a roadtrip up to Bristol and agreed a deal.

Full leather, climate, CD, Harman Kardon, cruise, alarm JCW engine upgrades etc etc.

Firs thing I did was give it a damn good clean up and sort out some bird etchings on the bonnet that were bugging me:

The whole car had been badly machined polished in the past and had ruined the stripes on the bonnet, the car was also covered in hologrammes. So I removed the old stripes and gave it a days worth of machine polishing:

Removing the stripes revealed some very feint oxidised marks underneath that wouldn't polish out, that combined with the fact I felt the car looked too 'naked' with them off meant I ordered some more from DMB graphics and got them fitted up ASAP:

I also fitted Bosch aero blade wipers around the same time.

After that, the initial couple of months of ownership didn't go all that well! It had a new clutch fitted prior to me purchasing it, but then required a full service which also found it needed a track rod, various bushes, a new dipstick, and a crankshaft pulley / engine damper.

I then had 4 new tyres fitted - ditching the run flats (inc. the 2 rears that were actually down to the chords on the inside but weren't visible until in the air ) and had 4 wheel alignment carried out. I htink I spent around £3k getting it 'sound'

Once my funds were topped up again, I obtained a Dave F airbox:

(it's the top half of a standard airbox with an extra inlet and a K&N cone fitted) - car now pulls stronger and has a nice mechanical 'dump valve' noise when you back off the the accelerator Still looks totally standard in the engine bay though.

Next up was an OMP lower strut brace - a Christmas present from my best mate

so it would be rude not to fit get the upper one too!

Then fitted the Aero kit front grilles:

and no pics, but got Tom to obtain and spray up a new bonnet scoop as the clips on mine were knackered.

I then took it to a rolling road day at Surrey Rolling Road:

Where it made:

Not bad with just the airbox fitted! It did reveal that it was getting far too hot though - too cool it down enough, the guys were spraying water directly into the scoop and grilles

So I obtained:

a GRS motorsport intercooler:

Not had it back on the RR since, but general concensus is that it should now be up to around 210bhp. It does seem to pull harder again now, but still imo gets too hot - a recent trip to Santa Pod proved this. First run when still cool was a 15.3, the rest of the day it was 15.9 as it was hot from sat in the queue with the aircon on and outside temps were high 20's!

The other thing that had bugged me for a while was the worn bolster on the drivers seat. Seeing as I'm not a qualified leather repair tech, I though it'd be rude not to sort it out!

It stayed like that for quite a while, but then boredom set in again. Starting to use the car a bit more, the main thing that bugged me was the sound quality of the stereo is awesome, but I could only listen to the radio or a CD. So I got myself a DICE iPod interface which allows me to control the iPod through the headunit and steering controls:

And another good clean and a Pistonheads sticker to be sCeNe

Then after a few late night plays with other cars I found I was getting far too much brake fade from the standard set up, so sourced myself the R53 JCW brake upgrade (R56 Cooper S Calipers and discs) but upgraded that at the same time:

EBC Ultimax discs, EBC Yellowstuff pads, Goodridge braided hoses, Castrol Response DOT 4 brake fluid.

Up from 265 to 290mm iirc:

Before:

After:

Will paint the calipers at some point, and fit braided hoses to the rear and upgraded pads.

A quick play with Wolfs De-Ironiser after about 250 miles on the new brakes

After a recent trip to Wales, I still managed to cook them after a few high speed plays, so looks like I may have to look at grooved discs at some point or even bigger brakes

Did my first ever run up the strip at Santa Pod finally too at Retro Show 2011:

No idea what they should run tbh, but hope I can improve it - especially the response time - I kind of forgot to look at the lights

Still toying with the idea of selling it, but at the same time really enjoy this. If I do keep it, more power will be on the cards, but keeping it as standard looking on the outside as possible for the sleeper look

[Edited on 19-01-2012 by Rich H]

[Edited on 20-02-2012 by Rich H]

[Edited on 01-10-2012 by Rich H]
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice
Jake

7th Jul 11 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus i thought that was a new paint job on the rims
Steve
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With regards to the brakes the main thing to watch is getting them hot then sitting at a junction or something with your foot on the pedal, pad material imprint is usual suspect of knackered discs
Rich H

7th Jul 11 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it's another version of 'Iron X' basically it's PH neutral yet chemically dissolves metallic particles -obviously Yellowstuff pads being fast road / track pads they give off a fair bit of dust - especially when new!

The wheels are in dire need of a refurb though - were kerbed when I bought the car, and are even worse now as they tyre monkeys made a right hash of them when fitting the non runflats

Steve - I try to avoid sitting using the brake pedal too much, that said, the handbrake is useless on this atm - another thing to get sorted!

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by Rich H]
mwg

7th Jul 11 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The R53 JCW split rim wheels would look mint on that!
Ojc

7th Jul 11 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got some lovely bullets that don't need a refurb you can have
Rich H

7th Jul 11 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're not the only one to have said that Matt - but they fetch over £1k in good nick. I cba paying that sort of money, plus I've always loved the Bullet's - was another bonus that this car had them when I bought it tbh!

Ollie - hush and when you say mint, how mint do you mean? I'm a fussy bugger about refurbed wheels.
Ojc

7th Jul 11 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Refurbed when I bought it. Got brand new Toyo t1rs on. Have em for 300 Ono
Rich H

7th Jul 11 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh I remember you saying they were refurbed, and the fact a dealer did it is the bit I don't like

Plus I was toying getting mine done in metallic silver. I'll have a think.
Fro

8th Jul 11 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks lovely Rich

was it you that did the bolster? very good job! Will have to get you to look at mine in the future as has some wear on it but nothing major.

how much was the GRS?
Rich H

8th Jul 11 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate Plenty of people keep telling me to make everything that's white & chrome, black, but I quite like it as it is

Yeh I did my bolster - would be rude not to now I can do that sort of thing

GRS was £300 (used - 6k) iirc. Did a private deal with a guy on MiniTorque
Ojc

8th Jul 11 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can get GRS Motorsport cooler for about £425 new I think I paid, got the receipt in the car.

Make sure you get the Motorsport one though, not the other one.
mwg

8th Jul 11 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see why you aren't getting the JCW wheels if thats the money being talked about! Crazy.
Rich H

19th Jan 12 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bump

Well I've still got it, and racking up a lot more miles in it than I ever thought I would tbh, so mods have slowed down as I'm still investing in the business, and general running costs of the Mini aren't the cheapest!

No proper pics as yet, just phone pics, but a few months ago I bought a set of Eibach Pro Springs from OJC. Which left it looking like this:

Was also at Trax on a mates stand:

As ever it's a test bed for products for work too, so I deliberately have been letting it get mega dirty (in my eyes!) to test product durability and effectiveness. The car currently has 2 coats of Autofinesse ToughCoat on it, left for 6 weeks:

to

Just after a basic wash and blacking trim / tyres. Exhausts were sealed with Britemax so just wash up like that.

I've had various niggling issues with the car over the last couple of months. I had it on the RR again at the end of December to check all was well. The only addition to the last visit was the GRS. This time it made:

But is still getting too hot! I was also expecting 210 so was a little disappointed. However the car has been struggling to hold boost of late. The bypass valve on these is a common fault and therefore stops it making full boost at high revs. Also had a knocking on full lock to the right, and a squealing rear brake caliper ever since I changed the rear brakes with a mate

So off to Minicraft it went, and I was leant this badboy:

3 days later the car is back and better than ever. New bypass valve means it holds boost properly now. Rear brake caliper appears to have been a sticking handbrake (although it still squeals a bit once the brakes are warm?!) and the knocking was found to be a bolt holding the lower strut brace has worked loose - a bit concerning as this was torqued back up properly, but also holds the subframe together?!!!!

The car is just under 70k now too, this is when the Supercharger belt should be changed, so it would have been rude not to have done this done whilst the car was off the road. Of course it would also have been rude not to have one of these fitted too:

Had the 17% one fitted. Minicraft now reckon with this and the new bypass valve, I've probably gained ~20bhp now. Need to get it on the dyno again now!!

Have now come away from there with a long list of ideas though. Will have to see what happens next, I'm STILL in 2 minds about keeping it

Graham88

19th Jan 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How does it sound with the pulley now? Really want to get one on my missus car. How much was the pulley?

Looks good though, everyone should have a drive of one to realise how awesome they are
Rich H

19th Jan 12 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll get a video up at some point soon

TBH I don't think it sounds a great deal different to before, even though everybody on the net says it will

Love the little 'dump' noise it makes since the Dave F was fitted too.

Pulley to supply and fit was £185 + VAT iirc.
Graham88

19th Jan 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the YouTube videos I've watched they whine like a bitch! Thanks :-)
Rich H

20th Jan 12 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does whine a fair bit, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's much more 'vocal' than it was before! I'll get a video sorted soon.

Was able to play a bit more tonight and jesus it has a lot more mid range pull now - very happy. Until I get used to the power all too quickly lol.
big eck

20th Jan 12 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great looking car, Really liking these just now. Theres a stunning grey cooper works one about my area that the wife keeps saying she wants
taylorboosh

20th Jan 12 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lovely rich... They're coming down in price hugely too
Seany

20th Jan 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks lovely mate, i thought about getting the 17% but have went for 16 to be safe with the heat levels.
Why not get a new cam and injectors? more power for not too much money. Janspeed mani is meant to give a fair bit of grunt mid range also.
Mine (standard s) made 188 with a Dave.f and a custom cat back so I thought yours would have made a fair bit more with your smaller jcw pulley and bigger injectors.
Jambo

20th Jan 12 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good, love the sound of these with the whine
Rich H

20th Jan 12 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys

Eck - They are great cars, it just seems to still have a bit of a 'feminine' reputation - which is silly really as the Cooper S is not at all!

John - Cheers - yeh they're dropping like a stone, I've lost around £2500 if not a bit more since I bought mine 18 months ago.

Seany - Cheers Still got the red Lamin-x to give a go at some point too! I checked and double checked before going for a 17%. I'm basically at the limit of what I can do with the overall set up I've got atm. There are quite a few plans in the pipeline should I keep the car though

Manifold I'm not sure on yet as I'm an old man and don't want a loud car - the manifold does make it quite a bit louder

Mine's the 200bhp JCW pack, so with just an airbox to make 203 is good imo. To make 206 with the GRS on was disappointing, but I think it was down to it still getting too hot, and also not making full boost with the dodgy bypass valve.

Surrey RR have a very good reputation so I trust the results from their dyno

Jambo - cheers dude
Rich H

20th Feb 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still not had a chance to get a video yet. Needs to go back to MiniCraft for some more work too as the knocking is back - definitely not the lower strut brace this time, and the baffles in the mid box are knackered so squeak all the time now (very annoying!)

Genuine JCW part is around £250 just for the midbox, so I'm hoping to get a custom jobby knocked up using a Jetex one (MiniCraft said it's possible and should be under £200 all in)

Also had a bit of spare cash sat in my PayPal account. Was originally going to get a Range Rover Supercharged badge, but a mate suggested the Audi one found on S4's, S5's etc:

Not entirely sure yet, and only a tenner

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R53 Mini Cooper S JCW - Now For Sale 23 database queries in 0.2066610 seconds