corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Who's got a spiderbox?

New Poll
  <<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who's got a spiderbox?
ljames555

User status: Offline
4th Dec 12 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at a twin tuner box it gives me optional firmware (Is that just how the menu and how the box operates? )

Then flash drive what's that all about?

So plug this from my standard sky dish and with a sub and scan Id be set up for the equivalent of full sky hd package?
John

4th Dec 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use the team vix firmware, liked it more than the blackhole which is the other big one.

Flash drive is just a usb flash drive, used for installing the images and storing stuff on.

You'll also need a hard drive, which I've forgotten about until now because I've normally got one about, that will increase cost.

It also won't just work, there's fannying about involved.

At the end of it you have the full HD sky package though yes.
Rob_Quads

5th Dec 12 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone here tried the cheaper F3/M3 SkyBoxes? I'm loath to spend £150/£200 on a box to try something out if I decide against it.
John

5th Dec 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got an openbox S10. Unless the skyboxes have a decent EPG that's the main downfall against them.

I wasn't sure on the whole concept working which is why I got an openbox. After you've worked out that the card sharing bit works, the interface and EPG etc aren't even close to a more expensive box.

I understand your point though, that was exactly my thinking.
Brett
Premium Member

5th Dec 12 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're just "testing" it out, seriously get an OpenBox for £40-50. My argument is that bang for buck, you can't go wrong with that. Vu+ is no doubt an awesome bit of kit, but obviously carries a premium. However, you can buy either knowing you'll likely lose hardly any money at all if you decide to sell.

Since I don't record at all (which you can anyway on an openbox but only the channel you're watching because of the single tuner), upgrading to a vu+ is basically £200+ extra for an EPG, that's my only gripe. If the vu+ was £100 there's no doubt I would've upgraded before now.

In reality, you will be happy with it, there's nothing to not be happy about, it's bloody £100 worth of Sky for a tenner or less.
John

5th Dec 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another thing about the openbox which really annoys me, but maybe not you (and not brett because he doesn't record) is that you can't record something and watch something previously recorded.

You can't start recording something then watch that from the beginning either, you have to have paused it.
Brett
Premium Member

5th Dec 12 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be annoying

I think the thing here is, if you're used to paid for legit Sky+, then you really need a vu+ as an Openbox will feel like a downgrade.

If you're like me and never been raped by Sky, an Openbox will likely tickle your fancy, at least for a short while.
AlunJ

5th Dec 12 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still have my sky sub for the time being, but the openbox is still cheaper than having a sports and movies subscription.
Rob_Quads

5th Dec 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly my thinking. I'm keeping Sky for now going for an Openbox/SkyBox to see what its like.
I would not use the box for recording to start with and realise the EPGs are not a patch on the Sky/Virgin ones but good enough to see how it all works.
Brett
Premium Member

5th Dec 12 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't understand the logic in that case then.

What's not to like? What's on the screen is exactly the same as what you're paying a silly amount for currently. Buying an vu+ will pay for itself in a matter of months and not be a massive step down.

About the only thing I can see being compared is the sky box vs an openbox, in which case the openbox is gonna fall short for obvious reasons.

I don't think you do realise either because an Openbox doesn't have EPG. It has the button, but nothing displays apart from the odd channel. Now & next is about the best you're getting. So it's not a case of it not being a patch on Sky's, it literally isn't there. You want EPG you need a dreambox or a vu+, or a £200+ box putting it simply, otherwise whatever it is you're comparing simply wouldn't be fair.

[Edited on 05-12-2012 by Brett]
WATSON

5th Dec 12 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone heard the news about skys new updates? trying to stop cardsharing.. some interesting threads over on kings & digital k

Could it be the end of CS?
John

5th Dec 12 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh well, if I get a few months amd then have to move back to sky I'll have covered my costs even if I couldn't sell the duo.
WATSON

5th Dec 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meant to be down before Christmas, time will tell I suppose.
Dom

5th Dec 12 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WATSON
Anyone heard the news about skys new updates? trying to stop cardsharing.. some interesting threads over on kings & digital k

This the HD pairing?
Have you got any links?
Dom

5th Dec 12 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Joel
Is there any cable versions of this about? Can't put a dish up at my current place.

Not now, no.

Actually, it looks like you can cardshare using Kryptview or Starview boxes. Do a google as there are a handful of forums around that discuss it.
John

5th Dec 12 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

This the HD pairing?
Have you got any links?

It is something to do with that Dom, only had a quick look at 1 thread in the general satellite section on digital kaos.

Not as easy as spoofing the hardware key of the box it's paired with to get around that?
WATSON

5th Dec 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

This the HD pairing?
Have you got any links?

It is something to do with that Dom, only had a quick look at 1 thread in the general satellite section on digital kaos.

Not as easy as spoofing the hardware key of the box it's paired with to get around that?

Not sure John, I do know that a few servers on kings have closed there doors today due to this.

My server guy did announce today that he has something in the pipeline with virgin media as that's supposedly easily done with CS too.

Time will tell, There is talks that everything will be down before Christmas too.
Dom

5th Dec 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone actually know what the issue is or any threads with actual technical info to the problem?

The CS-Kings/Digital Kaos threads (can't see anything on TechWatch) just seem to be full of ECM complaints, and in-turn a lot of users running around like headless chickens, but no real information.
John

5th Dec 12 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't see a massive thread about it so couldn't be annoyed looking any further.

I'd imagine there would be a lot more chatter if all the scroungers (who I'm one of atm) were about to get cut off.
Brett
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 09:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This news is alarming me guys.
Whittie

6th Dec 12 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll be reet.
Dom

6th Dec 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd imagine there would be a lot more chatter if all the scroungers (who I'm one of atm) were about to get cut off.

Exactly. Until someone posts some credible information rather than Chinese whispers then i wouldn't worry about it.

Still interested in knowing what this supposed 'HD pairing' is all about. I know Sky are asking for box/viewing card data but are they pairing the HD channels to cards/boxes? How does that work?
Brett
Premium Member

6th Dec 12 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank fuck. I can continue scrounging for the time being
John

6th Dec 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As a complete guess for the pairing, the same as the sports/movies etc maybe.

A card paired to one box will show some channels in another box, but not the premium ones, maybe just doing the same for HD.
Dom

6th Dec 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As a complete guess for the pairing, the same as the sports/movies etc maybe.

A card paired to one box will show some channels in another box, but not the premium ones, maybe just doing the same for HD.

But surely that wouldn't make a difference to card sharing as you're already able to share the keys for premium channels (and they're paired to the card/box)?

<<  13    14    15    16    17    18    19  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Who's got a spiderbox? 24 database queries in 0.0193980 seconds