corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Is it still possible?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it still possible?
ste_p23

User status: Offline
14th Apr 11 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking for a quick bit of advice really, im just wondering if in this day and age you can still have a large split ownership over a house?

Basically me and a good friend want to buy a house in the region of 50-60K that needs some work and modernise it and both live there as we both feel its time to get out on our own feet.

Between us we have a large amount to put down as a deposit i have approx 25K and she has around 15k.

We have been told by numerous banks that we should be accepted for a joint mortage as we both earn enough to cover the shortfall.

The question im wondering is beacuse im fronting an extra 10k in my deposit figure is it legally allowed that i own say 60% of the house and she owns 40% as my deposit is larger?

Im a newbie to the old housing game so any help would be ace
daymoon
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have thought so. Best ring solicitors and ask though.
RichR
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes in theory but I would have a contract drawn up between the two of you to say that in the event of a sale; you get back £25k to her £15k and then any growth or fall is split evenly between you. Assuming post purchase everything remains 50/50 between you; renovation costs, loan/mortgage repayments, amount fo work. I think this would be the fairest route

If you sold it for say £100k making £40k profit assuming all loans were paid off, You would get £25k back, She would get £15k back and you would split the remaining capital at £30k each

Plus, if you can put down £40k on a £60k property, I'd personally take out a fixed £20k loan rather than a mortgage

[Edited on 14-04-2011 by LiVe LeE]
spencer88

14th Apr 11 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should then also be paying 60% of the mortgage.
ste_p23

14th Apr 11 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Rich
Rob_Quads

14th Apr 11 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but it all comes down to what the contract between the two of you say. It would have to be very specific about who pays how much deposit. Who pays how much of the mortage. Who gets how much of the profits / burdens the loss etc etc
RichR
Premium Member

14th Apr 11 at 12:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or just put the same in and up the loan amount to keep everything 50/50 from the off
ste_p23

14th Apr 11 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
or just put the same in and up the loan amount to keep everything 50/50 from the off

May just do that but i will see what my solicitor says
Tom

14th Apr 11 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd keep it simple, straight down the middle. Removes any confussion over how much you both contribute to the mortgage and how much you're both entitled to if/when one of you decides to sell!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Is it still possible? 24 database queries in 0.0133131 seconds