corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Setting up sound system............

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Setting up sound system............
Drew
Banned

User status: Offline
7th Apr 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much (approx/average) would an audio place chage to set up the amps and head unit so get the best sound?

Adam-D

7th Apr 03 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

diy mate
head unit 2 preout 4.5 volt-ish
subpreout 1 to channel 1-2 brige these for sub
then other preout for front speakers
then anything bigger split the signal for a bigger system
corb

7th Apr 03 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£30-£50, anymore and they saw you coming!You going to pv2003? i'd do it then for free for you!
Drew
Banned

DIY

explain this then for me ..

Bass centre frequency
Bass level (obvious)
Bass Q factor
Bass extend
Middle centre frequancy
Middle level (obvious)
Middle Q factor
Treble Centre Frequancy
Treble level (obvious)

ok tell me wot to set all them all
Drew
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by corb
£30-£50, anymore and they saw you coming!You going to pv2003? i'd do it then for free for you!

cheers - not sure bout PV2003 yet
Adam-D

7th Apr 03 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok thats more advanced for me ill admit your using a eq im getting one for next car
but the center frequncy is left and right combined to create a full sound
Claire Richardson

7th Apr 03 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey Drew, is that cause you know mw and Lisa wont be there and it'll be boring without us. Or are you planing on spying on us in Tenerife
Claire
l33t corsa

7th Apr 03 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bass centre frequency - the frequency is affected most when adjusting the bass boost. If you like really low bass, then set it low, like 40-50hz, if you want more volume in the more regular bass set it to 80hz or so.

Bass level (obvious)

Bass Q factor - controls how the frequencies above and below the bass centre frequency are effected when adjusting the bass boost. So if you have a large Q setting, more frequncies are effected by the bass boost, and a small setting will reduce the amount of frequencies. So basically it controlls how large a frequecy range is efffected by the bass boost setting. Set it to wide if you want more frequencies to be boosted, or really narrow if you only want a narrow range changed. If you think your bass sounds fine accross all the bass range, then set it to wide. If you think that a certain frequency range is bieng missed out, then you'll want to change the centre frequecy to the effected range you want to change, and use a narrow setting, and then adjust the boost level accordingly.

Bass extend - controls if the low frequencies which you can't hear (like 30hz and below) are sent to the amp/speakers. Basically like a sub sonic filter. Set it to on if you decent subs, as they should be able to handle it, and you'll be able to feel more bass.

The rest are the same but for mid and treble frequency ranges.

Basically, just fiddle until you like the way it sounds.

Normally you'd set an ICE system up with a test tone CD and a spl meter to see which frequencies are louder or quieter than others, and then adjust the settings accordingly. If you are really serious, then you'd use a seperate equaliser, as a head unit hasn't got enough adjustability to get a perfectly flat frequency responce. But their mainly used for people who are into competitions etc.
Drew
Banned

7th Apr 03 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mate

nah dont want it for comps - just want it to sound decent if ya know wot i mean

like right now - all the settings on head unit are as they came

the gain and crossover etc on the amps are all just as they were - i basically aint adjusted anything
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Apr 03 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah easiest way is by ear unless you have a noise generator and a spectrum analyser to give you a completely flat response....

...but to be honest, no one likes the sound of a flat response -- sounds too cold, so just play until it sounds better
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Apr 03 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and Q-factor is the other way round -- high Q means a narrow selection of frequencies... (it's the ratio between the centre frequency and the '-3dB' points either side of the bandpass)....

[Edited on 07-04-2003 by Tim]
l33t corsa

8th Apr 03 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mistake, It's been years since I was into ICE
Tommy

8th Apr 03 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hook it up and tweek

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Setting up sound system............ 22 database queries in 0.0090098 seconds