corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » car is making a 'squeaking' noise from fanbelt?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author car is making a 'squeaking' noise from fanbelt?
Ben G

User status: Offline
19th Mar 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

noticed yesterday after driving to work in the rain that my car (ford puma 1.7) was making a squeaky noise.

checked the water and it was very low (way below the minimum level line) so topped that upped and let it idle for a bit.

the noise is still there today. it's sort of like a 'squeak...pause for 1 second...squeak' noise coming from the front o/s of the engine, right where the alternator is.

2 people have said it might be the waterpump leaking and water getting onto the belt but i cannot see any leaking.

any other ideas?

cheers.
Mertin

19th Mar 11 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the alternator belt slipping slightly, try adding a bit more tension on it. Thats most likely with the noise being beside the alternator
Could also be the water pump squeaking but haven't heard of it before, heard some make a whirring noise
JaffaTB

19th Mar 11 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does it on damp mornings, cures itself after the engine has warmed up and dried it out
shaunmods
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 20:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine did this Ben and it turned out to be the Aux belt. Do the noise change with the engine revs?
Ben G

20th Mar 11 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the noise gets faster and a bit higher pitched from what i heard whilst in the car friday night.
alan-g-w

20th Mar 11 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You definetely need a new aux belt.
tintin

20th Mar 11 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The rubber tends to get less pliable over time and effectively dries out causing a squeeking sound. Change the belt and it should cure your problem.
alan-g-w

20th Mar 11 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't cause a squeaking noise because it dries out, it causes a squeaking noise because the belt expands over time getting looser on the pulleys and the squeaking noise is the noise of the belt rubbing against them.

Only saying that because it's when you get it wet that it makes the noise, since when it's dry it's causing more friction betweent belt and pulleys.
Ben G

20th Mar 11 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to see my dad today and the water hasn't gone down at all and the noise is a bit quieter but it's still there.

he said it may be the waterpump on it's way out and the bearings are making the noise.

going to get a video of the noise and i'll post it up on here.

cheers for all the replies
shaunmods
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easiest way to find out would be to pop the drive belt off Ben If the noise goes away you can rule out the waterpump straight away then
alan-g-w

20th Mar 11 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the smartest idea right there, doubt Ben is able to whip the belt off himself though.
Ben G

20th Mar 11 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldn't know where to start tbh, my dad probably could though as he's pretty competent with that stuff.

heres a quick video i just made. you can hear the noise clearly here. put phone right at the front of the engine bay where the belt is.

alan-g-w

20th Mar 11 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I'm wrong about it being an aux belt anyway, that sounds more like a bearing going or something

That's more of a whirring I'd have said as well

[Edited on 20-03-2011 by alan-g-w]
Ben G

20th Mar 11 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did say whirring to my mate at work but he said it was more of a squeak.

i'm crap at describing sounds though
shaunmods
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I agree with Alan, My knackered belt made more of a churping sound where as that sounds quite metallic.

I'd still take the belt off if you can and then spin the pulleys to see if any make the wierd noise.
Corsa_Sport21

20th Mar 11 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When was the timing belt and pulleys last changed??

Quite a few bearing based things in that area that could be causing the problem.
Ben G

20th Mar 11 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure, will have to dig out the service history for a look.

will probably cost a bomb to fix
Mertin

21st Mar 11 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That noise sounds mechanical and likely a bearing. Could be the water pump with the water loss too. Could also be the idler pulley bearing though, take off the timing belt cover and may be able to locate the noise better or see if theres any play on any of the pulleys or tensioner for the timing belt. Another possibility is the alternator pulley too, id take the aux belt off first just to eliminate that side of things. Locate the tensioner, let off the tension and you should be able to prise the belt off the pulleys

New Poll