corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » insurance advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author insurance advice
dan-sport

User status: Offline
9th Mar 11 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basicly at the begining of february a guy pulled out on me at the last min i slide and hit him, everybodys all insured ect but my insurance told me that because the car was under my name(im a named driver on policy) but the policy stated it was under my moms name ( valid reason for this) it had to go to the underwriters to make a decision about payment but if we gave a writen valid reason everything would be fine. I spoke to a women monday and she said that if the underwriters choose not to pay i would get my car back as they haven't bought it off me and its still my propperty.

This is where i need the advice on, just spoke to them about if they choose not to pay and i get my car back will it still be a write off and she told me that i wouldn't be aloud the car back no matter what and they will be disposing of it once they have the underwriters decision.

Where do i stand? can i get my car back at all or are they aloud to just get rid of the car and not give me anything back? the cars a cat b write off and i would want it back to split to try and get abit of money back

sorry about the essay, heres some pictures of the car before and after the accident such a shame as it was a cracking little car.

after accident

chrisritch

9th Mar 11 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and this is why fronting is illegal.
Ben G

9th Mar 11 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cat b write off's can only be broken up by scrapyards i heard.

probably why you can't get the car back.
Toby
Premium Member

9th Mar 11 at 16:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
cat b write off's can only be broken up by scrapyards i heard.

probably why you can't get the car back.

That's true but it wont be recorded if they don't pay out. Providing the other Guy isn't claiming off you then just pay to fix it or sell it ruling as a unrecorded crash damaged car. Someone will fix that for peanuts.
out of interst though why are your insurers not trying to claim from him if yes at fault?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Mar 11 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dan-sport
the policy stated it was under my moms name ( valid reason for this)

What was the valid reason? I'm intrigued.
shaunmods
Premium Member

9th Mar 11 at 17:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the insurance fully comp or third party Dan? As Toby said if the claim is withdrawn surely that means they can't just take your car off you?

[Edited on 09-03-2011 by shaunmods]
dan-sport

9th Mar 11 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all going through as a fault against the other driver and the police have given him a fine and he has to go on a driving course.

So if they dont pay out they can't record it?

tom - the reason is it was a bargin not to be missed and my mom couldn't be there due to work and if i didn't get it there and then they would of sold it to this other person who came to look at it about 5 min after me and was ready to buy it. then with the delayed christmas post and what not we didn't get the log book back until the last week in jan
dan-sport

9th Mar 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
is the insurance fully comp or third party Dan? As Toby said if the claim is withdrawn surely that means they can't just take your car off you?

fully comp shaun, thats what i thought but from what she said earlier i wouldn't be aloud it back no matter what, so im confused now
shaunmods
Premium Member

9th Mar 11 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods

fully comp shaun, thats what i thought but from what she said earlier i wouldn't be aloud it back no matter what, so im confused now

Ahh right. I know when your only TPFT the insurance company has no right over the salvage of your car as this is what happened with mine. Pretty sure its a different case with fully comp policies but still if the claim isnt going through its like they are gaining a free car as they wont be paying you out?
dan-sport

9th Mar 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly but this is my first time dealing with write offs ect so i have no idea whats gonna happen
fir3vip3r

9th Mar 11 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres only one thing i can say about this thread and that is:

It's mum, not MOM!
deneven

9th Mar 11 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IME You'll get a payout

I crashed a 6k mazda 3 on my mams policy. I admit i was fronting, it was either that or not drive.

Anyway it was only me involved (wrapped it around a tree). The insurance said they will pass it onto the underwriters. They asked who drove the car more, me or my mam. Obviously said mam and then why my name was on the logbook.

The way i did it was:

-Photocopy the logbook (the part where it says LOGBOOK IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP)

-Tell them to prove you drive the car more than your mam.
John

9th Mar 11 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
its all going through as a fault against the other driver and the police have given him a fine and he has to go on a driving course.

So if they dont pay out they can't record it?

tom - the reason is it was a bargin not to be missed and my mom couldn't be there due to work and if i didn't get it there and then they would of sold it to this other person who came to look at it about 5 min after me and was ready to buy it. then with the delayed christmas post and what not we didn't get the log book back until the last week in jan

That doesn't explain why you were fronting?
BarnshaW

9th Mar 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf does fronting mean?
Jake

9th Mar 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting lippy
mark_gsi

9th Mar 11 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just tell them you were sending the log book off to be changed and then what can they say.
deneven

9th Mar 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

That doesn't explain why you were fronting?

Its the one and only reason why a 17/18 year old goes on there parents policy...

£3500 Own policy
£800 Parents Policy

It's obvious.

Fronting is when a named driver, drives the car more than the policy holder. Which has all of sudden only came into effect the past 10/15 years.

[Edited on 09-03-2011 by deneven]
BarnshaW

9th Mar 11 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant blame people for doing it personally with the cost of insurance for young drivers
John

9th Mar 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know why people do it, I done it, the above is a crap excuse.

It's being publicly clamped down on so I can see this becoming more common.
dan-sport

9th Mar 11 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its perfectly reasonable why the logbook was in my name i had to so i didnt miss out on not only a bargin but a seriously mint car, i was going to put the car in my moms name but by the time log book came i had the accident, the reason the insurance is how it is, is because its 1300 a year with my mom as main driver and the cheapest on my own is 6k everywhere else wont quote
Ben G

9th Mar 11 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mum
fir3vip3r

9th Mar 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
Theres only one thing i can say about this thread and that is:

It's mum, not MOM!

And again
John

9th Mar 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the reason the insurance is how it is, is because its 1300 a year with my mom as main driver and the cheapest on my own is 6k everywhere else wont quote

We know, that's fronting and why they don't want to pay out
Ste L

9th Mar 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

shouldnt the other persons insurance payout then, if the fault has gone against him
oceansoul

9th Mar 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason insurance is so expensive for young drivers;

quote:
Originally posted by deneven
Anyway it was only me involved (wrapped it around a tree).

Enough said.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » insurance advice 22 database queries in 0.1955590 seconds