corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Anyone able to do this, and whats it gonna cost me :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone able to do this, and whats it gonna cost me :)
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 11 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a .csv feed from a supplier, which is updated daily.

The way its laid out, is completely different to the one magento (the store i use) uses.

The description is just plain text, but needs to be in a html format ideally.

Ive heard there are ways to convert it onsite, and upload it using cron jobs etc.

Its way over my head. Is this possible and whats in gonna cost.

Also, it really needs to be magento upgradable (needs to follow magento's protocol.

Manual upload is really out of the equation as there are around 3700 items.

Opinions?

Dan

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
AndyKent

3rd Mar 11 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about if you were to manually upload the file to your server and have a PHP script access the file contents, split into products and insert into your store database?

Should work, though I've no idea on this magneto thing so not promising!
Dan
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Magento already has a great importing feature, which you can import data very easily.

Its the problem that the data is all over the place in the .csv they supply, different headings and the descriptions are in a normal text format, rather than a html one.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
AndyKent

3rd Mar 11 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U'd
Dom

3rd Mar 11 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it you actually want? A php script (small desktop app?) to import the .csv from a directory and spit a magento .csv file? Or do you want to import the .csv, format it correctly and either add the new products to the database or call the magento import function/class perhaps?

If you've got an example of the .csv file (only need a few lines) and how you want it formatted (example of a magento .csv perhaps?), then send it over and i'll have a butchers
ashleh

3rd Mar 11 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't you create a batch or perl script and run it locally then upload/import to your script?

Or as you mentioned run a cron job, there should be plenty of tutorials

New Poll