corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tannoy D700 speakers

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tannoy D700 speakers
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 11 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello, my dad owns a set of these Tannoy D700 speakers. Since he got them second hand about 6 or 7 years ago they've always been missing the dust cap for the lower cone on one of them. He's looked everywhere he says but can't seem to find anything. He actually got someone at Tannoy to send one that they had lying around by chance (they don't make them any more) but it got lost in the post apparently.

Anyone into their hi-fi and know of anywhere that might sell them?
Whittie

23rd Feb 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://hifi4sale.fullboards.com/t12509-tannoy-d700-speakersusedsold

Granted they're sold, but join up there and stick a thread up? Somebody may be able to help, also ask on AV Forums.
alan-g-w

23rd Feb 11 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye that's probably the best bet Whittie, cheers mate.
Dom

23rd Feb 11 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't the D700's just have one grill that covered both drivers? As Alex said, you might get lucky on a HiFi/AV forum but i think it's a long shot. Probably be easier to knock something up yourself.

Brilliant speakers though, sound damn amazing if driven correctly and the dual-coil mid/tweeter driver is pretty What is your old man using to power them?
alan-g-w

25th Feb 11 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the middle part of the bottom speaker cone that he needs, for some reason his is missing. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to affect the sound though, although there's sometimes a tiny crackle on high notes which I think this would sort.

He had a set of Berkleys before these but ripped one of the cones playing Kalifornia by Fat Boy Slim

I'll need to find out what amp he's running and get back to you with the specs and stuff, I think he's changed it recently.
alan-g-w

25th Feb 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just asked him there just now Dom, he's running a Quad 44 with a 405 power unit
Dom

25th Feb 11 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the 405 (Mk2?) standard or has he modded it (plenty of capacitor and transformer mods around that apparently dramatically improve things)? Can't say I’ve heard the 44's or 405's, but retro Quad gear is suppose to be lovely

Should have read you're post properly though, but i think you'll struggle getting a D700 dust cap. You can get 3rd party/aftermarket caps that might work otherwise it'll be a replacement driver jobby if you can get hold of them (ideally you replace in pairs, one per speaker etc).

As for the 'crackle', are you sure it's the speaker causing that? Have you tried the D700's on another amp to rule out the 44/405 causing it?
I've had an old cyrus power-amp that blew a capacitor and that caused 'crackling'/distortion when the wick was turned up; replaced the cap and it went away.

[Edited on 25-02-2011 by Dom]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tannoy D700 speakers 22 database queries in 0.0095360 seconds