corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tsar Bomba - largest nuke ever detonated

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tsar Bomba - largest nuke ever detonated
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Feb 11 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is scary stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

quote:
The fireball reached nearly as high as the altitude of the release plane and was seen almost 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) from ground zero. The subsequent mushroom cloud was about 64 kilometres (40 mi) high (nearly seven times the height of Mount Everest), which meant that the cloud was well inside the Mesosphere when it peaked. The base of the cloud was 40 kilometres (25 mi) wide. All buildings in the village of Severny (both wooden and brick), located 55 kilometres (34 mi) from ground zero, were completely destroyed. In districts hundreds of kilometers from ground zero, wooden houses were destroyed, and stone ones lost their roofs, windows and doors; and radio communications were interrupted for almost one hour. One participant in the test saw a bright flash through dark goggles and felt the effects of a thermal pulse even at a distance of 270 kilometres (170 mi). The heat from the explosion could have caused third-degree burns 100 km (62 miles) away from ground zero. A shock wave was observed in the air at Dickson settlement 700 kilometres (430 mi) away; windowpanes were partially broken to distances of 900 kilometres (560 mi). Atmospheric focusing caused blast damage at even greater distances, breaking windows in Norway and Finland. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth.[7] Its seismic body wave magnitude was about 5 to 5.25.[6] The energy yield was around 7.1 on the Richter scale but, since the bomb was detonated in air rather than underground, most of the energy was not converted to seismic waves. The TNT equivalent of the 50 MT test could be represented by a cube of TNT 312 metres on a side, approximately the height of the Eiffel Tower.

Since 50 Mt is 2.1×1017 joules, the average power produced during the entire fission-fusion process, lasting around 39 nanoseconds[citation needed], was about 5.4×1024 watts or 5.4 yottawatts (5.4 septillion watts). This is equivalent to approximately 1.4% of the power output of the Sun.[8]

Test footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxD44HO8dNQ

Documentary
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ef7_1244402272

[Edited on 21-02-2011 by Steve]
GF-91
Banned

21st Feb 11 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't see how it's "scary stuff" at all tbh.
emicen

21st Feb 11 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes and no.

The scale of the weapon and potential consequences of a subterrainean blast are scarey.

But its such a MAD realising concept that it would never see tactical deployment.

As such I'd view it as an exercise in developing theory and seeing if it can be put in to practise rather than a real strategic weapons development. Also very much a dick waving exercise. Successful in both repects.
Fro

21st Feb 11 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Steve. will have a look at the links later.

Edit Just seen when it was created, imagine what they can do 50 years on

[Edited on 21-02-2011 by fro-dizzle]
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by emicen
Yes and no.

The scale of the weapon and potential consequences of a subterrainean blast are scarey.

But its such a MAD realising concept that it would never see tactical deployment.

As such I'd view it as an exercise in developing theory and seeing if it can be put in to practise rather than a real strategic weapons development. Also very much a dick waving exercise. Successful in both repects.

you are assuming that only stable countries have access to this kind of device, which has been true up until now, you are seeing the likes of North Korea now having created and tested successful nuclear devices, granted they dont have the technology atm to deploy a warhead any great distance but theyh are getting there, up until last year most of there rocket technology was v2 crap from ww2, but they successfully launched one of there own rockets last year. Its one stage closer to one country of several getting the capability who imo woudnt hesitate to use it
Butler

21st Feb 11 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
who imo woudnt hesitate to use it

Whats that based on?
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my opinion of the mental state of there leaders
Fro

21st Feb 11 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Herroooo
Ojc

21st Feb 11 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORSA-D-DRIVERS-AIRBAG-/250773655801?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a634650f9
adiohead

21st Feb 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just hide in a fridge and you'll survive
chrisritch

21st Feb 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

Indiana Jones Styleeeeee
Fro

21st Feb 11 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any salt mines in the UK?
Jambo

21st Feb 11 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wanna get hot by the radiation so I can get super powers
Russ

21st Feb 11 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
my opinion of the mental state of there leaders
their mate
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

as soon as i saw that i switched it off, f-ing ridiculous
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GF-91

you dont think the fact that humans can build a device that explodes with enough force it will smash windows 560miles away, and send a shockwave 3 times round the earth scary? couple that with the fact humans are a very unstable race and i think its very scary

this was also over 50 years ago, imagine the potential scale these days.

GF-91
Banned

21st Feb 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GF-91

you dont think the fact that humans can build a device that explodes with enough force it will smash windows 560miles away, and send a shockwave 3 times round the earth scary? couple that with the fact humans are a very unstable race and i think its very scary

this was also over 50 years ago, imagine the potential scale these days.

Just seems insane for any country to use them. Not seeing the threat given that no one is man enough to set one off.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you bunch of idiots, il be laughing when the nukes fall and il be down in my nuclear bunker safe, and dont even think about trying to get down there with me, because i will have ied's, trip wires and mines 1km in every direction of the hatch
GF-91
Banned

21st Feb 11 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lay off the crack dawg.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

going mad
Steve
Premium Member

21st Feb 11 at 10:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GF-91
Banned

21st Feb 11 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reply to your reply.
Fro

21st Feb 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the radiation has caught up with you mate
emicen

21st Feb 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by emicen
Yes and no.

you are assuming that only stable countries have access to this kind of device, which has been true up until now, you are seeing the likes of North Korea now having created and tested successful nuclear devices, granted they dont have the technology atm to deploy a warhead any great distance but theyh are getting there, up until last year most of there rocket technology was v2 crap from ww2, but they successfully launched one of there own rockets last year. Its one stage closer to one country of several getting the capability who imo woudnt hesitate to use it

I don’t dispute the psychosis of the leader(s) however, their bile is mostly directed at the south rather than the “west” (in their opinion we’re probably the east )

The Taepodong-2 is a far cry from the Taepodong-1, as far as we know, but at the same time, its an old Soviet weapons system being massively modified on a fairly slim budget, in the Soviet application it was a submarine launched system after all. In their test firings its pretty apparent they have scant control over it, not enough to deliver a nuclear payload with any accuracy. The test launch with a satellite on board never made it to orbit and the one that flew over Japan was widely recognized as just being lucky it didn’t fly straight in to Japan or hit the sea before hand.

IMHO, they wouldn’t launch it at us, their international relations issues are mostly with the USA due to their perma-meddling and cessation of the oil supplies they were meant to provide as sanctions for the ongoing missile development. This is whats driving them in to a loop I believe;
USA: Ho, stop developing missiles!
N. Korea: No!
USA: We’ll sanction your punk ass!
N.Korea: Try it, I’ll ram this new missile up YOUR hoop
USA: Stop the oil!
N.Korea: Ho, give us our oil or we’ll ram this missile up your hoop
Repeat to fade…

Korea know fine well they can’t launch against the USA. Their sabre rattling is supported by China and Russia cause they like to wind up America still, but China wouldn’t sanction an actual attack because it would pull them in to a fight they don’t want to be in. You can’t sell consumer goods to a country you’ve just blown up, and equally, you would be destroying the country and currency base you hold a hell of a lot of financial instruments in the property of and cash reserves of respectively. Any attack on the USA would see retaliation, China would be more compelled to jump in than Russia, but couldn’t afford to for the reasons mentioned.

The more scary part IMHO, is the sideline development work that may be going on developing smaller/dirtier weapon systems which in a cash strapped dictatorship may well find themselves made available to the highest bidder on the international scum market, people operating independently of sovereignty and as such immune from having to consider such political/economic consequences.
Russ

21st Feb 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve just lost

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Tsar Bomba - largest nuke ever detonated 22 database queries in 0.1739290 seconds