corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Grooveshark

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Grooveshark
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Dec 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone use this site? Seems to be a free version of Spotify (or should I say, no 20 hour limit like with the free version of Spotify).

Music seems to be uploaded by users though, surely that's illegal?

Friend of mine wants me to join Spotify but not sure I can justify paying £10/month for music I won't ALWAYS listen to?!
Neo

13th Dec 10 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legal issues

Operating in similar fashion to other online services like YouTube and Vimeo, Grooveshark does not indemnify their users for any unlicensed uploaded content. Users have complained about the lack of indemnification protection found in their EULA.[20] Despite these concerns, no user to date has faced legal action from Grooveshark or third-parties. Parties in the USA claiming copyright infringement may use mechanisms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to request that their content be removed. Repeat offenders, users who have uploaded unlicensed content more than two times, have had their Grooveshark accounts suspended.[21] Grooveshark makes a Label List available of all record labels with which they have royalty agreements, though in the past major record labels were noticeably absent.[22] This changed on May 8, 2009[23] EMI filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Grooveshark,[24] which was dropped on October 13, 2009 and replaced with a licensing deal.[25]

Universal Music Group filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Grooveshark in January 2010. This lawsuit is believed to have been the cause of Apple's pulling the Grooveshark application from iPhone in August 2010.[26]

In March 2010, Pink Floyd sued EMI over the amount of royalties the band should receive for digital sales of their music, and as to whether tracks from their concept albums can be sold as singles.[27] Pink Floyd won, and almost all of their tracks have been removed from Grooveshark.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 10 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So that'll be a yes then
Neo

13th Dec 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically. Although they seem to have loads of customers and have never taken legal action against any of them.
Sam
Premium Member

13th Dec 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I signed up the other day and listened to a few tracks (but did no uploading) so hopefully I will be OK...

I might have no choice but to use something like Spotify in that case.

New Poll