corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone interested in differences between induction kit and airbox...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone interested in differences between induction kit and airbox...
Patrick

User status: Offline
31st Mar 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to Santa Pod yesterday and had the airbox on. Did a few runs then put my induction kit back on. With the airbox the best I could get was 15.61 with the induction kit on the best I've got is 15.249.

There you have it. An airbox will feel more torque at very low revs but where you need the power is where the induction kit gives it.

So everyone that has put there airboxes back on take them off!
Phil Hall

31st Mar 03 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now if you went back and repeated this 50 times for each we would have some data we could derive a sensible conclusion from, but you need loads of runs to get an average. There are just too many variables to state thatr its def better with the ind kit. Plus thats only on your setup which may take well to a ind kit. Someone with a different setup might be completely different.

Good times tho Patrick. Looking at any prices for the MBE system yet?
Phil Hall

31st Mar 03 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How often do you drive the car at peak revs where the ind kit is doing its job. For you Patrick its OK as you now dont have to use your car in every day driving whereas most people that use the board like me sit in traffic and tootle about town where your engine is sucking in warm air.
Sam
Premium Member

31st Mar 03 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think an air box with K&N or similar panel filter and at least two cold air feeds would be better than a cone filter.
Patrick

31st Mar 03 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But I am not talking about whats better for driving around town, I'm talking about performance, I have tested both and the car is at its quickest with the induction kit on.
vibrio
Banned

31st Mar 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
Went to Santa Pod yesterday and had the airbox on. Did a few runs then put my induction kit back on. With the airbox the best I could get was 15.61 with the induction kit on the best I've got is 15.249.

There you have it. An airbox will feel more torque at very low revs but where you need the power is where the induction kit gives it.

So everyone that has put there airboxes back on take them off!

thats about as scientific as you get then eh Patrick

GTF with your crap experiments. also remember if your superchip has bee 'mapped' for an induction kit then puttin ght eairbox on is going to make it worse. but 0.4s is an increadible difference. are you sure your driving is just not constant
JKGSI

31st Mar 03 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you got any pics of your engine bay Patrick???
Patrick

31st Mar 03 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have some good runs and some bad runs yeah, same as most people. One mistake down the 1/4 can rob valuable time but these were all okay runs. The 1/8 mile were all similar just the treminal were different.
Patrick

31st Mar 03 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JKGSI
you got any pics of your engine bay Patrick???

Not at the moment. It's a bit of a mess at the moment anyway. Gotta do some more painting and am doing something special with a custom induction system. Will post pictures up then!
vibrio
Banned

31st Mar 03 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still not seen any rolling road graphs though.
Patrick

31st Mar 03 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's easy enough you saying you want to see them, it's not as easy me putting them up here. I just don't have the equipment to do it.
Andy

14th Apr 04 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hall
Now if you went back and repeated this 50 times for each we would have some data we could derive a sensible conclusion from, but you need loads of runs to get an average. There are just too many variables to state thatr its def better with the ind kit. Plus thats only on your setup which may take well to a ind kit. Someone with a different setup might be completely different.

Good times tho Patrick. Looking at any prices for the MBE system yet?

Absolutely - you'd have to do enough runs to be sure that the differences you achieved were statistically different and didn't happen just by chance. You'd also need to conduct the runs without knowing whether you had airbox of induction kit fitted (ie get someone else to swap em over and not tell you which was fitted before each attempt. You'd also need to test different drivers to ensure that it wasn't just your driving style that happened to suit the changed engine characteristics of the induction kit
3CorsaMeal

14th Apr 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

induction kits make about as much difference as driving into wind or with wind behind u
LukeGSi

14th Apr 04 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I think an air box with K&N or similar panel filter and at least two cold air feeds would be better than a cone filter.

Kris TD

14th Apr 04 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but you have a turbo, its common knowledge that induction kits are better on turbos and drilled airboxes on non turbos.
Daimo B

14th Apr 04 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio

GTF with your crap experiments.

lmfao crap experiments, likeeeee sticking hairdryers at an intercooler and measuring how much the temperature drops Even though its not in the car. Anyway, back to the post

I also agree with Kris-TD, turbos always have worked better with induction kits.

Funny, 238bhp, 2.0 16v, and a turbo, and still getting a slower time than my standard XE corsa Gotta love that!

Still, good idea that u've tried it. On a NA engine i still think the airbox would work better. My sealed Viper is sooooo much better than my old cone filter. And Dave fro V-tuning has modified the standard Corsa airbox to fit his XE and it runs sweet as a nut.

[Edited on 14-04-2004 by Daimo B]
Daimo B

14th Apr 04 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know honey i know. Is that the best u can come up with
Tom

14th Apr 04 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bored of hearing yous

In my mind induction kits work well with turbo'd cars and panel filters with n/a

As has already been said
Jambo

14th Apr 04 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Induction kits will work well if in a sealed unit with enough cold air to supply them.

A naked cone in a hot engin bay on an august afternoon will mean you loose loadsa power.
Trotty

14th Apr 04 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thread split, argumentitive junk removed.
starkmotorsport

14th Apr 04 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
...you should stick to things you know, which lets be honest is not much beyond talking shite.

Sounds familiar...

Please say that your not 32 Ross...for your own sake!
Daimo B

14th Apr 04 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny, i do IT for a top 50 UK law firm now. Our building is one of the highest in London based in Moorgate. I am not on the dole. I was, was off work for 6 months and thought i'd claim some of the large tax i have to pay each month due to my earnings. But now im back in the money

As for your job, its not my thing, wasn't interested, but i understand roughly what you do, very impressive, must have work hard at uni. My jobs ok, i get paid a pretty good wage and have a laugh, not too bad.

Still does not change my opinion as to how you are though from on here, still will always be a geek to me Your previous avatar has just prooved it again, at your age .

Sethion, maybe, but i know what i know and i know a damn site more than a lot of people on here, and theres a lot of people who know more than me. Just some like to point out when they dont like what i say a little tooo often.
vibrio
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:

GTF with your crap experiments.

lmfao crap experiments, likeeeee sticking hairdryers at an intercooler and measuring how much the temperature drops Even though its not in the car. Anyway, back to the post

I also agree with Kris-TD, turbos always have worked better with induction kits.

Funny, 238bhp, 2.0 16v, and a turbo, and still getting a slower time than my standard XE corsa Gotta love that!

Still, good idea that u've tried it. On a NA engine i still think the airbox would work better. My sealed Viper is sooooo much better than my old cone filter. And Dave fro V-tuning has modified the standard Corsa airbox to fit his XE and it runs sweet as a nut.

[Edited on 14-04-2004 by Daimo B]

your an ass
bubble

i got a 1.3 denzel and my turb spins up quicker with the cone filter on. seems better when mid range as well.
BabyBlade

14th Apr 04 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does that mean my informative reply was removed

on topic i'd say induction kits are wank.

admittidly i've put mine back on but theres a definate loss in performance...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone interested in differences between induction kit and airbox... 22 database queries in 0.1726358 seconds