corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » water pump?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author water pump?
Sean

User status: Offline
8th Dec 10 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have been told by my friend that my water pump may be on its way out dont reaally wanna book it in with his garage 45 an hour labour charge lol been quoted 2 hours and 60 for the water pump vauxhall do one for 30 but then some garages get funny when you ask them to fit parts they havent ordered lol what should i do also got manifold gasket to be fitted too lol sitting in ma boot
Scotty C

8th Dec 10 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On what basis does ur friend think ur water pump needs changing?
Mertin

9th Dec 10 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im surprised vauxhalls cheaper, they tried to charge me £40 for a £14 screenwash pump

If its a vauxhall then try auto vax for a pump or euro car parts direct. Garage should fit it, especially if its your mate. You may need a timing belt kit too if the water lumps driven off the timing belt (most likely)
alan-g-w

9th Dec 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending on when the belt kit's been done it might just be a new belt.
Scotty C

9th Dec 10 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Depending on when the belt kit's been done it might just be a new belt.

You always need a new belt when u take it off...
alan-g-w

9th Dec 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye that's what I'm saying but a new kit with tensioners/ rollers is maybe £90, just a new belt would be £10-15. If he's just done a kit in the last 2000 miles there's not going to be any need for a whole new kit.

And tbh you don't always need a new belt. If the belt looks worn enough that you think you need a new one then fine, new belt. If you've just bought a new engine and need to take the belt off for some reason, if the belt has next to no miles on it I'd just be re-fitting it.

[Edited on 09-12-2010 by alan-g-w]
Scotty C

9th Dec 10 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True. Ive always been taught to always fit a new belt if you're taking it off for what ever reason as they stretch.

Corsapowerr - if your engine is a x14/16xe I've got a cambelt kit and waterpump. If u want it, u2u me.
alan-g-w

9th Dec 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate, if you were in any doubt at all you'd change the belt at the very least.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Dec 10 at 12:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He sounds like a great mate if he's charging you the normal hourly rate, as well as extra on the waterpump.
Rob E

9th Dec 10 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fecking hell, if he is your mate you would expect him to do it for beer tokens, thats what I do when it comes to fixing mates cars. By the sound of it your "mate" is either trying to have you off or is a n00b mechanic who is yet to familiarise himself with the term "forigner"

What are the symptoms your mate suggested for the water pump to be going?
Sean

9th Dec 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye tell me about it haha fucking rip off tbh umm i have squueking noise when i start and turn my car off doesnt start 1st time ummm but main thing is the squeek lol i dont have the foggiest when it comes to engines lol ye he quoted me 20 for a inlet manifold gasket went vauxhall... £5.80 lol he does tend to chat shit just known him for years haha bit of a nob if im honest but what can ya do
Mertin

9th Dec 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont quote me on this but I dont think a water pump would squeak if it was on its way out and a fucked water pump wouldnt affect the car starting. What engine is it? Sounds like your aux belt squeaking when you start the car.
From what youve said about this mechanic I wouldnt take his word for it

[Edited on 09-12-2010 by Mertin]
Rob E

9th Dec 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what you have mentioned it sounds more like the belt is slipping as Mertin mentioned. I would ask a garage if they can tighten the alternator belt if your not handy with a spanner. The worst case scenario you are looking at is having to replace the belt which shouldnt me more than a tenner from your local parts place
craig_s

9th Dec 10 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the waterpump is gone you can get a grinding noise,does the noise come and go or is it constant?
Sean

9th Dec 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh really haha??? what an idiot lol wont be asking for his advice again it sometimes beeps for a really long time too lol really crap with engines brakes tyres exhausts im ok with but never been near a engine really lol oh and my oil light flashes when my revs are low (nrmally when im sitting in traffic) got any idea what that is??? got plenty of oil
sri boy

9th Dec 10 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ure aux belt is prob squeking because of the cold weather if ure getting hot air inside car the waterpump is circulating water no probs just make sure ure not loosing water and have pleanty of coolant
Sean

9th Dec 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys ill check in the mornign
Mertin

10th Dec 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil light could be low oil pressure if the levels fine and it does it sitting in traffic / idling

Could get someone to start the car and yourself to have the bonnet open and see if the squeaking noise is coming from your aux belt which drives your alternator. Should be pretty noticeable if its coming from there
alan-g-w

10th Dec 10 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best thing you can do if you're getting an oil light is just not drive the car.
Sean

10th Dec 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone i have asked bout the oil light says could be dodgey sensor and ill be taking it to garage soon anyways not my m8s haha thx again
alan-g-w

10th Dec 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically mate on a standard corsa the oil light means low oil pressure, it could be that your oil pump's shagged. If that's what it is you're not going to be getting enough oil to the engine which could in turn fuck it completely.
Mertin

10th Dec 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was a faulty sensor i wouldve though that it wouldve been on at other times rather when idling. Does sound like a pump on its way out, low pressure at idle, higher revs the pumps producing more pressure and no lught
Sean

10th Dec 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so should i be careful driving it??? or should it be ok???
Mertin

10th Dec 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was my car I wouldnt be driving it if I was getting low oil pressure, bearings will get starved of oil and possibly score / start to wear excessively. Overall it wont be good for the engine at all

Have you checked theres not too much oil, not sure what you mean by "plenty of oil"

[Edited on 10-12-2010 by Mertin]
Sean

11th Dec 10 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think ive found my oil light problem got a small oil leak

[Edited on 11-12-2010 by CorsaPowerr]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » water pump? 22 database queries in 0.1109152 seconds