corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » NETGEAR DUO NAS Box slow as hell :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NETGEAR DUO NAS Box slow as hell :(
SetH

User status: Online
4th Nov 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Which one did you get?

Netgear DGN2000
PaulW

User status: Offline
4th Nov 10 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Which one did you get?

Netgear DGN2000

I had one of these, lasted best part of 10 minutes before I kicked it down the stairs & burnt the useless p.o.s.
SetH

5th Nov 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL what issues did you have with it?
PaulW

5th Nov 10 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They overheat... SERIOUSLY overheat...
Dropped packets by the thousands
after about an hour of "heavy-ish" use (streaming a 1080p video file from server to laptop), it would just grind to a halt
Also very unreliable for any sort of high-volume data transfer via wireless.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS390&=&q=DGN2000+Problems&btnG=Google+Search

Just 1 page of many many search results.

[Edited on 05-11-2010 by PaulW]
SetH

5th Nov 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS JESUS WEPT!!! should have fucking researched it I guess but wanted a quick solution to this ball ache. Will see how I get on with it, maybe i will 1337 hax0r mod it with watercooling etc
Sam
Premium Member

5th Nov 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the 1000, not quite a 2000 but I've had no problems with it whatsoever, even autodetect my O2 broadband settings which was good.
SetH

5th Nov 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am seriously concerned having read numerous reviews now of the 2000 overheating and killing Ethernet ports.

I have always used Netgear products at home and in industry for years without issues so just bought this without really checking it out. Although got it at a great price as it had an opened box.
stubs

5th Nov 10 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not return it and buy something else?

I've just got a Synology DS210j as reccomended by a collegue, to replace my Icy Box IB-NAS4220 which has recently failed.

I can't reccomend the Synology enough
Sam
Premium Member

5th Nov 10 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I am seriously concerned having read numerous reviews now of the 2000 overheating and killing Ethernet ports.

I have always used Netgear products at home and in industry for years without issues so just bought this without really checking it out. Although got it at a great price as it had an opened box.

At the end of the day it's got a warranty. If it fucks up just return it and get something else.
pow
Premium Member

5th Nov 10 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day it's not going to solve you're wireless issues if you're having them... interference etc.

Did you even try plugging a patch cable into the laptop?
Sam
Premium Member

5th Nov 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
At the end of the day it's not going to solve you're wireless issues if you're having them... interference etc.

quote:
Ok am connected to the router from my laptop via an ethernet cable.

I can now copy data from the NAS at around 9mbs

However if I try and write data to the NAS its only around 100kps

WTF is going on
SetH

5th Nov 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

Yes I did plug a patch cable into the laptop to the router but not directly into the NAS box, why would I do that? My laptop is not a DHCP server or a router thus what is it going to achieve, they wont be able to talk to each other? I still had issues with read/write speeds using wired although only in one way, I am suspecting that there is a switching problem with my router.

As for interference I looked into this the other night and cannot see any devices that would be causing the interference except maybe a wireless handset which i completely powered down. Also isnt Wireless N is less susceptible to interference then Wireless G? I know they both use the 2.4GHZ range (as do telephones, wireless keyboards etc) but Wireless N also uses the 5GHZ bands?

My old router has been in use 24/7 since 2003 so probably time to replace it anyway and I got the 2000 relatively cheaply also.

It might not resolve the issue but the laptop is brand new, the NAS is brand new I did enable streaming services last night and played some MP3`s from my Xbox and they kept pausing. I suspect the old router is the issue, if the problem persists then may need to look at the NAS actual.
SetH

5th Nov 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
Can you not return it and buy something else?

I've just got a Synology DS210j as reccomended by a collegue, to replace my Icy Box IB-NAS4220 which has recently failed.

I can't reccomend the Synology enough

Under distance selling regulations I could yes.

I have found quite a few positive reviews about the 2000 but there are a shit load of issues out there but a lot of the articles are quite dated so maybe there is a later hardware revision and or later firmwares may help.

Either way I guess its a risk
SetH

6th Nov 10 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right after 8 hours of fucking around this evening finally got there!

New router installed, it runs hot horizontally but mounted vertically it runs a lot cooler. Really easy to setup and connects quickly and is stable, showing 150mbps connection currently.

However when pinging the router from my windows 7 laptop the response time was shocking up to 1400ms

I did not have this problem with a Vista Laptop that was pinging at 1ms.

Installed latest firmware to the new router and this cured the windows 7 issue, no further changes required client side (and i tried all kinds of things earlier regarding TCP/IP settings and disabling various services and APPS).

Still had to lower the MTU on the NAS box to 1492 and set to 1430 on laptop wireless adapter.

Now getting around 2mbps transfer speeds with a 'Fair' network signal which Im more then happy with
PhilC

6th Nov 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm do enterprise class WiFi for a living mate. If you need any help with improving this, let me know.
noshua

6th Nov 10 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't read all the thread cos I'm my phone but have you got a wireless N receiver on your pc? If not you're still gonna be using b/g which will give almost the same shit results.
SetH

6th Nov 10 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
I can't read all the thread cos I'm my phone but have you got a wireless N receiver on your pc? If not you're still gonna be using b/g which will give almost the same shit results.

Yes mate, brand new laptop with wireless N.

There are millions of threads on the interwebz about slow netgear DUO NAS and believe it or not it 9/10 its down to the OS Vista and win 7.

noshua

7th Nov 10 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try ubuntu on a usb stick?
SetH

8th Nov 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt that an OS?

You suggesting using this as win 7 alternative?

Just had a look at the ubuntu site, looks awesome but how are you proposing I use it?
noshua

8th Nov 10 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it's an alternative to Windows or Mac for example. If the slow speeds are down to windows vista/7, I would try a different OS and see if the speeds pick up.

You can download ubuntu for free from their website and burn it to a CD or even more quickly, make a bootable USB stick and boot your pc via that.

Google USB Ubuntu, good few guides
SetH

8th Nov 10 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm so potentially when I want to use the NAS to stream films and music I could boot Ubuntu from USB.
SetH

8th Nov 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about device drivers though?
Dom

8th Nov 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guessing you've read this - http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=226 ?
SetH

8th Nov 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep sure have buddy, it works for some people and not others.

I found a new device driver for my wireless adapter on laptop and a new beta release firmware for the NAS so will do some more testing tonight.

Also going to try a direct connection to NAS via a Crossover cable although now that Ive tried two different routers and two different win 7 laptops I dont think its a hardware issue.

Still looking like Vista/Win 7 networking bollocks.
pow
Premium Member

8th Nov 10 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case turn off HomeGroup and IPv6

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll