corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E39 M5 vs wrx sti

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E39 M5 vs wrx sti
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
12th Oct 10 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont usually post which car threads, now have pretty much enough money saved for either (2000 E39 M5 or a 2004 wrx sti) - i know they are both very different cars and users on here have both.

I was first swaying towards the sti however been doing some research and appears spec wise and money wise the M5 has everything and same performance if not better then a slightly tuned sti. I have read into the vanos issues on the M5 and understand its a gamble but everywhere says to just make sure it has a FSH and mainted properly and to listen out for it when buying.

running cost wise which is going to be worse off? the M5 might be more expensive but will require servicing less frequently then an sti? the sti does look alot more in your face but i like the luxuries such as leather seats, parking sensors etc

anyone got any decent experience or feedback on either? greatly appreciate it.
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M5..

I've had loads of Impreza's now newage and old school and they are not particularly rewarding cars to drive.. Boring if anything, mainly because they handle too well!
BarnshaW

12th Oct 10 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that really a negative though? how often are service intervals realistically on a new age impreza?
pow
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I'd go for the M5 as well
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Service intervals are like an average car.. Not like a bloody EVO..

If you can't drive and want to give yourself a boner feelign like a driving god get an Impreza.. If you want a properly rewarding car to drive get the M5.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not getting involved in a petty internet argument, but Imprezas are ace, I don't care what anyone says. I also disagree with the handling comments totally too.

However, the M5's are lovely so it'd be a hard choice. The Impreza is certainly more in your face that the BMW. Depends what kind of look you're going forI suppose.
Mobby

12th Oct 10 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

currently driving a V3-limited wrx sti type-r and i fecking love it!!!
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
I'm not getting involved in a petty internet argument, but Imprezas are ace, I don't care what anyone says. I also disagree with the handling comments totally too.

My argument against the Impreza is not petty or un-founded.. I've owned 5 of the bloody things.. Yeah they are good cars if they wernt I wouldnt have owned 5 of them, but every time I buy another one give it a month and it bores the fuck out of me... The M5 is a REAL car.. Great chassis, RWD, V8.. Perfect!
Tomnova16
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

///M5

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Brett
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
My argument against the Impreza is not petty or un-founded.. I've owned 5 of the bloody things.. Yeah they are good cars if they wernt I wouldnt have owned 5 of them, but every time I buy another one give it a month and it bores the fuck out of me... The M5 is a REAL car.. Great chassis, RWD, V8.. Perfect!

Maybe the Imprezas were still bent out of shape? Throws people off the 'ring that Just kidding

You're entitled to your opinion, although people obviously have different tastes. Barnshaw has owned BMW's before, maybe time for a little break.
pow
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He owned a 318ci with 19" rims and over 100k on the clock (ooo the milage argument), an M5 would be a completely different car!
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Pow says that would be like owning a Impreza GL and saying you dont want another one because they are slow..
BarnshaW

12th Oct 10 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the record i have driven a bug eye sti and it was fantastic, just for the price you dont seem to get much spec other then the performance and looks, not knocking them they are fantastic

will have a test drive of the M5 and see what its like.
alan-g-w

12th Oct 10 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't even know why it's a contest between the two. BMW M5 or Impreza? Surely all you need to do to decide is say that out loud Got to be the BM.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
As Pow says that would be like owning a Impreza GL and saying you dont want another one because they are slow..

What are you on about? Nobody said anything like that. Speed has never come into this.

Like I said, not getting into any petty arguments.
Jambo

12th Oct 10 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M5 all day everyday.

The impreza is an ace car don't get me wrong,especially that limited edition that came in that ice blue colour!! but the interior leaves alot to be desired. Probably faster than the M5 on the road due to the torque/turbo.

M5 is larger car too and I've no idea on servicing for the scion but expect a £900 bill for an inspection2
Broster has one he will Ben est for info
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
The impreza is an ace car don't get me wrong,especially that limited edition that came in that ice blue colour!! but the interior leaves alot to be desired. Probably faster than the M5 on the road due to the torque/turbo.

DITTO! Impreza trim levels are a joke! The interior is VILE on ALL models (except the latest one).

Impreza will be cheaper to run than an M5 as long as you dont listen to the clueless scare-mongerers on Scoobynet.. The same silly bastards who hand crank their engine after an oil change..
Mike GSi

12th Oct 10 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M5 purely for the build quality and of course the Sound!
alan-g-w

12th Oct 10 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's their reason for that Davie?
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because they want to 'prime the engine' before its started so there is no oil starvation..

1) I'd LOVE to see someone who can crank over an engine fast enough by hand to draw oil up from the sump.

2) Where do they think the oil goes when the ignition is switched off?

Silly bastards.
alan-g-w

12th Oct 10 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Typical internet type thing of making up an even more awkward way of doing things for no benefit.
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They also all brown nose a couple of companies one being API.. It makes me SICK!
sand-eel

12th Oct 10 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M5 comfy cruiser or a monster, impreza = shit interior, noisy, not a comfy cruiser.
I'm sure imprezas,skylines etc use the same seats from the same seat factory, they all look the same
SetH

12th Oct 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
They also all brown nose a couple of companies one being API.. It makes me SICK!

David at API has a superb reputation for a reason. I have used him several times and defo someone that goes the extra mile.
broster
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I own an e39 m5, awesome car, different kettle of fish to any Subaru, also remember they may be some out tree for sub £10k, but we wary! They are still a £70k car to maintain! Iv had some shocks with the service costs on mine and it was a well maintained car previously! If you want any advice or info u2u me if you want

Very rewarding car to drive, change exhausts and the noise if crazy! Sub 200miles to a full tank or fuel is common!

Ps ignore vanos stories, not as scary as the internet makes out

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E39 M5 vs wrx sti 23 database queries in 0.0097940 seconds