corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My House:

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My House:
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Nov 10 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My credit cards been getting a hammering last few weeks with Porsche kettles and toasters which were really necessary

We still can't decide on a sofa so will be sitting on whatever we can get our hands on until one arrives!

TV, fridge, freezer, cooker, microwave, hoover, beds etc got sorted so shouldn't be too bad, just shit being so close to Christmas!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
AndyKent

24th Nov 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My credit card is still aching from all the shit I've bought

I'd get thinking on a sofa though, when I went to look there were quite a lot with rediculously long lead-times. 10/12 weeks wasn't uncommon. Some stuff was 18 weeks FFS!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One we both kind of like is still available for Christmas until this Sunday!

Credit card will get abused then, thank god for 0% interest!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Tom

24th Nov 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
One we both kind of like is still available for Christmas until this Sunday!

Credit card will get abused then, thank god for 0% interest!

Don't forget though that they have 'massive sales' after xmas!
AndyKent

24th Nov 10 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took out 0% finance with Harveys in the end. So long as you pay it before 12 months is up doesn't cost you anything. And I keep it off the credit card

20% deposit though.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

28th Nov 10 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sofa ordered yesterday will be here before christmas so anytime from now until 24th Dec depending on where stock is if any.

Everything is waiting in garage to load into the van when get keys.

Roll on Wed.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Feb 11 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics from day we moved in:

Living Room:

Kitchen:

Dining Room:

Conservatory:

Utility:

Stairs to front door:

Bedroom 1:

Bedroom 2:

Bedroom 3:

Garden:

Garage:

We got the keys on 3rd Dec, first job was to make room for the Fridge & freezer fit in the utility bit of demolishing, new double socket and hey presto...

We'd ordered our corner sofa, then once moved in realised it wasn't going to fit with the radiator behind so needed to move the radiator. This involved blocking up the bottom section of the window, which I wasn't keen on anyways.

Now this fits nice and snug! Corsa on the canvas was put there to annoy the other half!

Boarding the bottom of the window up involved some DIY blind trimming, got GF's grandma to sew them all up after I cut and folded...

The previous owners had the most random shower curtain, which was bolted through the ceiling, that got ripped out straight away and a shower screen fitted:

So that was pretty much it until after Christmas and New Year so we didnt make the place a mess over the hols.

After New Year first job was to get the living room sorted, every room has artex ceilings, so over time we'll get round them all one by one...

Bonding agent applied:

Ran surround sound cables to the rear of the room behind the sofa:

Next up was to get the old fashioned fire place and surround out:

Which went even more old fashioned to this:

Once removed, had to make the opening large enough to take the new hole in wall fire:

This had to stay like this for ages, as the company we bought the fire from decided to fook us about for a month and its only arrived this week:

Need to get the plumber round and then can build the false wall for TV and get chimney skimmed.

So while waiting on the fire, we made a start with the bedroom:

Wasn't keen on airing cupboard, takes up valuable space so one day I did a bit more demolishing:

Skimmed the ceiling again to get rid of the artex, two walls looked like they had had holes knocked in then filled with the help of Stevie Wonder, so skimmed those also...

Also before skimming the ceiling, decided to run the first fix electrics and coax for a TV on the wall.

More progress as and when it happens, hopefully have the fire fitted next week and can get on with decorating.

Graham88

11th Feb 11 at 03:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love it
mwg

12th Feb 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work Dan. Are you doing all the plastering, blockwork etc. yourself?
Jon_C
Premium Member

12th Feb 11 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like you are keeping nice and busy. Looks like you are doing a good job so far
luciaadr

12th Feb 11 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent work. That'll be a tidy pad when done. You trained in plastering etc or did you just have a go and learn?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

12th Feb 11 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old man has been in building trade for 40+ years and GF's Dad does a bit on side! I've had a go at plastering easy enough getting it on, it's polishing it off flat I haven't got hang of!

Doing everything ourselves! I'll try my hand at anything only way to learn!

Built a work bench in workshop as well but bad weather has made it start to rain in so need to get it damproofed before O finish it off!

Started making false wall on chimney last night and running cables.

Got my remote control stealth kit so going to have a play with that tonight and hide it in wall once tested!

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

2nd Mar 11 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to see Russell Howard the other night at N'Castle so called in at Ikea for a bed frame, turned the car into a van

Had a go at wall papering, tried first with lining paper, seems to be fairly straight forward, next up the real deal.

Then, test fitted the TV above the fire, just need to run all cables nice and neatly, finish off the stud work and get it boarded and skimmed.

Just put first coat of colour on bedroom walls tonight:

Ordered some sliding wardrobe doors for that room, should be here within 2-3 weeks then can get it all finished up.

AndyKent

2nd Mar 11 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sliding doors you having?

I've been after some custom sized ones for my hall cup'd but everything is stupidly expensive
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

6th Mar 11 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
What sliding doors you having?

Andy, this is a quick sketch of what they should look like.

2 doors in dark wood
2 doors in aubergine glass
Each door split into 4 panels with a brushed alloy bar / frame work.

Rang today saying should be with me Wednesday, wasn't expecting them for between 3-4 weeks, will be made and delivered within the week, need to decide what we want on the internals now, thought I had loads of time to sort that

Wired the sockets up, and hung the TV to test it, only a 26" but it will be hidden away inside the wardrobes so couldn't go much bigger.

Painted the second wall, and also got the wall paper on yesterday:

Just been to order a carpet, thats getting fitted Wednesday afternoon, need to buy the wardrobe internals, fit coving and skirting board when I know where the wardrobe doors will fit.

Then that will finally be first room complete.

Jon_C
Premium Member

6th Mar 11 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You look to be doing an awesome job for an amatuer DIYer.
Ben G

7th Mar 11 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you're missus is into feature walls aswell then?

looks really nice.

i hate those energy saving bulbs with a passion though
jonny_sri

7th Mar 11 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Progress is looking great mate, that bedroom has changed so much since I was round last week! Keep up the good work Stravos!

[Edited on 07-03-2011 by jonny_sri]
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Mar 11 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well all the fannying around with the fire, finally got it done, just need to get it tested and signed off.

Plaster boarded all the wall, then discovered my HDMI was 0.5m too short so had to order some more, got those on Wed, and plastered on Thur:

The TV brackets are set back in the wall so that when the TV is hung you can't see the bracket and is only the 27mm of TV petruding the wall.

The plaster had dried out this morning, so this afternoon I've been putting the coving up:

Then cut the skirting boards, fitted the fire inside trim pieces, hung the TV, surround sound, wii sensor just to see what it all looks like:

Now, need to paint the coving, give ceiling its final coat, lining paper the alcoves, paint the walls, and chimney, then paper the alcoves. Finally the end is in sight.

mwg

4th Apr 11 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Apr 11 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not updated for a while as everything has been taking an age to get sorted. So took a week off work to get things finished or moving again...

Got a van and went to collect the inner wardrobes, built them all up, had to chop the plynth off every section, so they fit floor to ceiling.

Chopped a wardobe up and built it around the chimney so its all matching inside, just need to get some more wood to make some shelves to put in the shallow wardrobe.

Fitted the sliding doors but couldnt get a decent pic on phone so will use camera tomorrow, beds in and just cabinets to make and fit then thats the bedroom all sorted.

Living room, got the walls painted, all skirting painted so popped the sofa back in so I could chill out on the corner at nights

Painted chimney breast, and this afternoon papered the alcoves, put curtains up, still need to pick a light we both like.

Hiding the TV brackets seems to have worked well, cant see anything and only sticks off the wall about 2cm.

Also wired up the stealth IR kit, tested it on the Sky HD and seems to work brilliant, just need to get myself some nice wood to build an AV cabinet in the alcove and hide Sky, Surround, PS3, Wii, and all the cables.

Getting there slowly, almost ready to start the next few rooms, and garden / garage.

Graham88

11th Apr 11 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks awesome. Loving the sunken TV. Only thing that would put me off doing that is if you wanted a bigger different TV you'd have to start again!

Corner sofa looks the bollocks too
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haven't updated this for ages, got the bedroom finished off after a few little niggles.

Ikea Malm bed is about 3" longer than a normal mattress, so I decided to cut the bed down to fit the mattress:

Take end off:

Cut section out:

Remake assembly points and refit:

Wardrobe doors (2 x Purple Glass / 2 x Wenge Wood):

Also had to recreate the side cabinets, slightly too wide to fit in the gap, ripped the same amount off each cabinet with a band saw, remade the assembly points, shortened the drawers etc and fitted back together.

Used iron on veneer to redo the edges, while I had them apart I thought be handy to set plugs into them, so put a dry wall backbox into each cabinet and fitted a black nickel double socket, I never want anything to do with that bed apart from sleeping in it from now

Just need to find a light / lamp shade we both like and get it fitted as at moment we still just have an energy saving bulb dangling.

Next on my job is to do my office / computer room, just need to run some CAT5e cable from the loft / patch panel down to the office, then get the wall and ceiling skimmed.

Shall update with progress as it happens.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

27th Sep 11 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Office is coming along, ceiling plastered, spot lights cut and installed, coving up, cat5e ran down the walls and just need to pick wall mural and paper for other walls.

Got no pics as currently just a white room with few spots in.

Workshop has had a bit of a leak since we got the house, never been that bad but few months ago came in and floor was soaked, so had to move the tools to the garage.

Finally had enough of having to work in the garage and clear up everytime to get car in so thought better sort it...

First strip all the moist boards off the walls and find where its coming from:

All appeared to be coming from under the metal sheet work so sealed all the edges with rubber gutter / roof silicone, and then applied lead flash band inside at 90 degrees to stop anything getting in, filled the gaps left by the flash band with expanding foam:

Thought hey presto that should solve it.... pissed down that night so went to check next morning and this is what greeted me:

Just sat there for a moment while raining and seen drips coming down the wall that joins the rear of the garage... ripped the roof down and the previous owner who built it decided not to seal the roof....

So have applied more flashband inside from the metal sheets to the garage wall filled the ridges with expanding foam again, cut back and sealed the edges with gutter / roof seal again.

If this fails going to put lead flash band over the foam and cut it into all the ridges, also plastering the inside wall, stop any slight leaks where the frame attaches to the wall both inside and out.

Just need it to rain now

AndyKent

28th Sep 11 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where did you get the Stealth IR kit from?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll