corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Helmet

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Helmet
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 10 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My feelings exactly but others (Phil ) don't like it so much
Adam_B

22nd Sep 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
1. Suitable car - £500
2. Track time - £129
3. Helmet - hire it.
Don't track a 10k car.

Agreed, terrible idea.
Kurt

22nd Sep 10 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should I not be tracking my civic then by that logic?
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do not buy a 12k car as your first track car.
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As i say, it's a weekend car as well. If i get some decent insurance it will be fine
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Sep 10 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understood he was buying the car with the track in mind - which really means you dedicate the car to it.

If you're buying the car anyway and just want to go to a track then sound. Needs to be fit for purpose for everything else you're going to be doing with it though.
dale87

22nd Sep 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely he can just get track insurance if he's scared of binning a 10-12k motor out on track. It's just like how many people wouldn't bother to insure a car of any value on the public highway if it wasn't a legal requirement?

Just saying there are precautions you can take if your worried about crashing on track just like on the public road.
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Want something i can use at weekends as well as on track hence a Type R is in mind. All down to money as usual mate.
smcGSI16V

22nd Sep 10 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
1. Suitable car - £500
2. Track time - £129
3. Helmet - hire it.
Don't track a 10k car.

Agreed, terrible idea.

agreed also.
Although if you have the addequate insurances and it's a primarly weekend car rather than a track dedicated car it will be alright.

But I would advise having a couple of outings first and hire a helmet, see if you like and enjoy doing it first. If you do and intend doing lots more track time then a helmet is a definate worth while investment.
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
andrew join us at oulton park on the 6th nov come and spectate

Shall be there. Will just be watching though
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not get a cheap track car that you can take on track and not give a fuck about, rag its tits off and take home and buy a decent car to drive every day, with 12k in my back pocket I'd be doing that.
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like nice things Danny I was thinking this, buy like a 2k 1.8 Corsa C or Puma but i'd feel a right nob driving it

During the summer tend to drive to and from Wales a fair but and after driving a van 500 - 600 miles a week commuting, it will be nice to drive something decent with a bit of grunt and shine.

The other problem i have at the minute is if i don't save the money for something i want, i will end up just getting pissed up the wall
Nath

22nd Sep 10 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I like nice things Danny I was thinking this, buy like a 2k 1.8 Corsa C or Puma but i'd feel a right nob driving it

Why? I don;t understand this at all.
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't get a 1.8 Corsa C either, there's far more out there for cheaper that will do a better job. My mate will be towing his 205 turbo with a 320d BMW, BMW, trailer and 205 turbo came in under 10k, well below. Nice comfy cruiser for day to day driving and a balls out track car that he doesn't care what happens to it.
Mike
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To add to Danny's point, buying a CTR you're gonna be paying for trackday insurance each time you go out, I've never looked into it but when I first went out on track my normal policy came with trackday cover but if I crashed on a trackday the excess went up to a grand, which I suspect is probably normal, so you take your 10k CTR out, pay £50? for track day insurance, something happens and you've gotta claim and pay out another grand on the excess, whereas you could buy a suitable car for less than a grand, not pay for the extra insurance and if the worst happens you replace it for less than the cost of the excess
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take my car for example, buying the car and getting it ready for track will have cost me about 2k alltogether, should be about 150bhp with cams, car weighs about 850kg. That's plenty for me to learn in, I'm in the same boat as you as I'll be out on track myself for the first time. I don't care if I break or crash it, there's plenty of cheap parts lying around for me to fix it whereas if I bought a 10k car I'd be wary about driving it. I can always get more power next year if I wanted.

[Edited on 22-09-2010 by DannyB]
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Valid point & something i really need to think about seriously. Need to look into insurance & tax on two vehicles & where i could store them. I may actually be able to tow something...
Mike
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before you go and payout for a track car tho, you should really take the Punto to Oulton just to check that you do like it

1.2s are great fun on track
DannyB
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 22:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, track days arent all about balls out power, get a car with average power and get it set up right and you'll have more fun than in something with twice the power but corners/brakes and drives like a wardrobe on pram wheels.

[Edited on 22-09-2010 by DannyB]
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not even run in. Has 5k on the clock.

Very temptered tho!!
Mike
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine's got 100k on, I think I should be the more worried one
Andrew

22nd Sep 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, off to bed

x
Alex_Rally

23rd Sep 10 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its only got 5k on the clock, i doubt you will break it then lol everything is all new still lol
Kurt

23rd Sep 10 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a fiat

Guess I better cancel my oulton session
taylorboosh

23rd Sep 10 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do you need 12k to get a type r? unless your getting a newer shape

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Helmet 22 database queries in 0.0151529 seconds