corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HDD Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HDD Help
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   8th Sep 10 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all

Not much of a hardware person, so if you could advise that'd be great

Basically needing to put a bigger HDD in a machine, so my question is an IDE/SATA thing. This machine is slightly older, but for what it's used for it's fine. If you look on the pic below, is that cable on the bottom left a SATA power cable? Can't see any other leads anywhere tho.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, looking at it, there's not even a bay for a second hard drive is there
ed

8th Sep 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is a SATA terminal. (You can also get adapters that convert Molex terminals into SATA).
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, this might turn into a different question possibly. Lets say I just replaced the current HDD...could I just do an image or something of all the current setup and copy it onto the new one like for like? Save me fuckin around
ed

8th Sep 10 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, you could use something like Norton Ghost (I believe) to create an image of your HDD. You could then put that image onto your new HDD and it ought to jest work.

In any case, if it didn't then you would still have the original to go back to as a backup and you could then do things the slow way...
ed

8th Sep 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It might piss Windows off actually. The software licence has something to do with the HDD serial number, so you will need to phone India up for a new Windows serial. It might not boot very nicely first time round either, you might need to do a recovery.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont piss off windows. If its oem its to do with motherboard not harddrive. you would just have a new partition on the new disc.
Ian W

8th Sep 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I used Arconis Image to image my drive the last time I replaced my hard drive, aslong as you have an external source to save the image onto its simples
ssj_kakarot

8th Sep 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it was me i would just fresh install a copy of windows 7 to the new harddrive and use the old harddrive in a caddy through usb to get files i needed onto the new drive.

seems easier than messing around with images and clones of harddrives ect.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 11:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I'll try the image route then. So, how exactly do you get it to boot initially to load the image? Is it all already sorted in some kind of bootable package?
Ian W

8th Sep 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, the image software will load from a boot cd and image the current drive.

Swap the drives over and boot from the cd again and load your image onto the new drive.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent, looks like I'm doing that then. Cheers all. I hope it doesn't require a reactivation or anything because it's a dodgy copy of Vista
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes thats a sata power, the black plug very bottom left
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yes thats a sata power, the black plug very bottom left

Only person who answered the question simply, cheers

If there's a SATA power, that surely must mean there's a SATA data cable too?
Ian W

8th Sep 10 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, power supplies just come with a range of plugs, unusual for you to have a SATA data cable plugged into the motherboard going no where.

Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True. If it had SATA then the current drive probably would be wouldn't it. Ah well, no big deal, although SATA drives were cheaper slightly for some reason.
Ian W

8th Sep 10 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
True. If it had SATA then the current drive probably would be wouldn't it. Ah well, no big deal, although SATA drives were cheaper slightly for some reason.

Not really mate, mine had IDE drives but had SATA ports. Worth looking for a SATA port on the board, easy enough to spot.

[Edited on 08-09-2010 by Ian W]
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 15:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe for you
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there's no second bay for another drive and I have to replace the main one anyway, is it that big a deal just getting an IDE one over a SATA one? The extra speed worth me investigating or not?
Ian W

8th Sep 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Maybe for you

Have a look for a model number and google it

Colour can range between manufacturers.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty sure it's not got one like that. I did look because I had a general idea of what it should look like since it's the same on the xbox360 and I've always got those open. However, I shall check again tonight.

TBH, you can pretty much see all of the board in my pic above, although a bit blurred.

[Edited on 08-09-2010 by loafofbrett]
Ian W

8th Sep 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If there's no second bay for another drive and I have to replace the main one anyway, is it that big a deal just getting an IDE one over a SATA one? The extra speed worth me investigating or not?

If its just your generic home pc thats a few years old then i'd go with whatever was easier.

I'd been keeping mine ticking over with old components for years
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youl probably have a spare port on the mother board to plug another sata data lead in
Brett
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, you can see the board in the pic, apart from what under the cards. I don't think there is one, but I will check.

If it did have one, do drive come with the cable or is it a separate purchase?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Sep 10 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably without they are only a couple of quid anyway

New Poll