corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Media Centre

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Media Centre
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Aug 10 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all

I'm setting up a machine for someone to act as a media centre. Nothing flashy, he just wants to be able to stream downloaded movies/music, plus things like iPlayer.

I know if I'd installed Vista, Win7 then I could use TunerFree MCE to get all the iPlayer channels etc straight into Media Centre, but unfortunately I've only got XP MCE installed, so can't use that. Is there any way I can at least set it to launch the iPlayer website from XP media centre? Or another app I can load or something like that? I've managed to find a bit of software to launch .exe's from media centre, which is good, but doesn't solve this.

Any help appreciated, cheers

Oh, and I would download and install Vista but I don't have a dvd burner any more
Gary
Premium Member

31st Aug 10 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download the Vista IOS and stick it on a USB mem stick.

Tell the bios to boot from that.

We used to do it when imaging EPOS terminals, worked a treat
Brett
Premium Member

31st Aug 10 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will it work the same on an external USB HDD? Don't have a USB stick big enough. Cheers.
Gary
Premium Member

31st Aug 10 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not if its HDD, gotta be a flash drive for some reason.

I'll send you a win7 disk if you like. Didnt come from me though

[Edited on 31-08-2010 by glb]
Brett
Premium Member

31st Aug 10 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice of you to offer, cheers

I'm on a bit of a tight timescale though unfortunately. I'll just have to borrow a mates laptop with a DVD burner I think.
Gary
Premium Member

31st Aug 10 at 15:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Nice of you to offer, cheers

I'm on a bit of a tight timescale though unfortunately. I'll just have to borrow a mates laptop with a DVD burner I think.

Will send it next day if you like.

Would be with you on thursday
Brett
Premium Member

31st Aug 10 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Appreciate it mate, but it's just me being lazy and not wanting to drive out to my mates. I'm gonna pop out in a sec and get that and some blank dvd's from Tesco. Got a Vista Home Premium ISO downloading now, which I hope has Media Centre
Gary
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 12:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it?

I didnt think it did
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xbmc with iplayer addins?
jamied

1st Sep 10 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get a ps3 does everything when you use ps3 mediaserver
Gary
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just get Apple TV....

http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamied

This'll cost a fraction of the price, although it won't play blueray discs. I'd use an xbox if I was going the console route anyway tbh

glb, media centre comes with home premium and ultimate. There's no MCE addition as such like XP, according to the internet anyway.

I could do with a license key if anyone has one?

[Edited on 01-09-2010 by loafofbrett]
Gary
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

This'll cost a fraction of the price, although it won't play blueray discs. I'd use an xbox if I was going the console route anyway tbh

glb, media centre comes with home premium and ultimate. There's no MCE addition as such like XP, according to the internet anyway.

For XP Home?
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got codes for every windows apart from vista premium you can use the same codes a million times anyway.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

XBMC google it, its a platform you install on top of the OS! you dont need an xbox for it
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't think you meant I needed an xbox mate. Just out and on phone so will Google it when home. Is it good then? Pisser is I've installed vista now
ssj_kakarot

1st Sep 10 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just install media portal, front end, best one out there by far .

pretty sure there is a plugin for iplayer also
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 17:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I'm gonna have to do something. After going through all this hassle to install vista so I can use TunerFree, the piece of shit doesn't even load the iplayer stuff for some reason. Just says I need a license
ssj_kakarot

1st Sep 10 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well, I'm gonna have to do something. After going through all this hassle to install vista so I can use TunerFree, the piece of shit doesn't even load the iplayer stuff for some reason. Just says I need a license

did the bbc put some limitations or something on 3rd party streaming software, i remeber reading something about it recently in the sense they were trying to stop all unofficial streamers from working, never looked to far into it though as i dont stream from there.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Live stuff seems to work no problem, but that's pointless when it's hooked up to a digital TV anyway. All the episodes and everything loads and it looks the part, but it just won't load the videos at all This was one of the main bloody things I needed to sort If what you said about the BBC is true, then the ability to launch an iPlayer window for the website would suffice, but I can't even figure that out at the moment. Getting tired of messing with it now tbh, since it's not even for me.
Brett
Premium Member

1st Sep 10 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...I should've read the FAQs for the TunerFree software
Rob_Quads

1st Sep 10 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://beta.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ is also another interface to the iPlayer thats quite nice
ssj_kakarot

1st Sep 10 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

video of media portal running below (once it finished processing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAu4PxdQRBQ

as you can see everything is opperated with one remote, so no need to use keyboard or anything, the remote receiver is just a standard windows media centre one.

software is media portal and the plugins for tvseries is mptvseries and the movies plugging is called moving pictures

the only other thing i have added is ffdshow to handle codecs of standard video and audio and coreavc to decode mkv's and hidef stuff

all very easy to setup takes 10 mins, i have it set up so you can just drag and drop a file into a folder and it will then be automatically added to the library with information and screen captures/artwork ect.

the skin file is called monochrome, looks the best imo but there are loads about.

hope that helps
Rob_Quads

1st Sep 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a play with Media Portal a few times but found it very un-intuative to setup. Found after 30 minutes it was still not setup anywhere near what i needed compared to the W7MC being sooo simple out of the box its silly.

Yes MediaPortal is powerful and you can customise it extensively but I found it suffered from the usual problems of this being the 'getting going' stage often takes longer
ssj_kakarot

1st Sep 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm tbf media portal has a wizard now which you can just run through and its setup no need for pluggins ect

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll