corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » When to call it a day...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author When to call it a day...
jibjob

User status: Offline
19th Aug 10 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well basically the engine i have in my car at the moment im having nothing but problems with. Ive replaced near enough everything except the oil pump including all the gaskets, seals, bearings, sensors, belts, etc.

It still wont work properly though as you may have seen in the help section but its now got 18 fault codes, bogs out at low revs and misfires under throttle, feels restricted when it does go and has no oil getting to the inlet cam.

Im having it looked at tomorrow by a garage as im out of ideas but at what point would you call it a day with the engine and just look for another one?

The thing is im not loaded and dont have a good job so money is tight but i have enough money for a new engine but i wont if i try to fix this one.

Theres no gaurentee a new oil pump will fix the lack of oil to the cam and theres no idea what the fault codes are caused by or the bogging out and misfiring. If i chose to spend money on trying to fix it i could just be wasting the money and then be left with nothing for a new engine.

What would you do? Would you call time on this engine and move on or try to fix it and it either work or be left with nothing?
Jakey
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd look at finding another cheap 1600 for the time being.
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been offered an XE for the same price as a 1600 though but without the mounts and shafts. I have been offered one with mounts and shafts for a little bit more.

The only thing is i know this engine would be great if it worked properly. Its pulls so well when it works properly which has been once in the past month
Daveskater
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the garage are looking at it then see what they say tbh, if they come back with a huge list of things that are wrong which will cost loads to fix, then I would be looking for a new engine.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye thats what im thinking but if they come back and say it only needs a couple of things and i buy those couple of things and end up still in the same situation im stuck
daymoon
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i had my corsa and spark plug core broke, i had a garage scan the ecu. brought up that ALL sensors where bad. replaced the spark plug and ecu light never came on.

Moral of that is it could be something simple that couses all them errors.
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh thinking about it, it has ran rough since i rebuilt it and changed the plugs. I never thought to change them as theyve only covered a few hundred miles. I'll go change them now and see what happens! Thanks for the idea mate
wwwNOOBcom

19th Aug 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have called it a day ages ago, is it worth all the hassle and money?

After the corsa i have atm ill never go back to building and LET corsa in my life
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye i do feel like that but i also feel ive put too much money and time into it to just give up.
wwwNOOBcom

19th Aug 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the way i feel, i want to just sell the thing and put the money down as a deposit on a nice car because that thing as a daily drive is just total shite

But then i look at it and think how much money and time iv spent on it, i know for a fact i would vomit if i ever seen anyone else driving it, when time comes to sell im selling it to some cunt that comes from the bottom on england, no way can i see anyone up here driving it
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think thats why i need an outside opinion on it as i think id keep plowing money and time into it forever.
chrex

19th Aug 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...new engine bud. Dont keep piling money into speculation.

Keep the engine and strip it down to see if you can find the problem...but get another one in there for now.
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive stripped it down 3 times and cant find any problems. Everythings normal to the eye thats why i dont understand whats wrong with it.

Im going to swap the plugs in the morning, run it round to the garage and then go from there. If its not worth it i'll get another engine and start again.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X12XE, it's the future
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the old 1.2 8v and it was so stupidly reliable nothing would even come close to it! But the lack of power was just dispicable 44bhp from the factory and 100k of hard earned miles and it still went strong!
Mike
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine's getting close to the big 100k now, smokes a bit but still manages to put Chris F's 1.6 in it's place when it gets on track
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I miss the reliability and the handling but not the fact as soon as you hit a straight you get left behind
Mike
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give you the advice that was given to me after making that statement, 'you're braking too much'
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The brakes on my red one lasted for about 45k so you cant say that The tyres didnt last that long though
chrex

19th Aug 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

e16se or 20SEH on carbs! thats what you want!
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id love an 8v on carbs but its getting replacement cheap parts thats the worry with them plus the amount of knowledge about them.

I said id never go for an C20XE because they are so common but thinking about it they are fairly easy to tune, theres a lot of cheap parts about and theres a lot of knowledge about them should things go wrong. Plus the powers better. It would be on tb's or carbs though after a while
Warren G

19th Aug 10 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats wrong with it?

right, you have alot of low voltage codes.

you will find your not getting the 12v feed to thoes sensors, let me fire up TIS

[Edited on 19-08-2010 by Warren G]
jibjob

19th Aug 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically...
Theres no oil getting to the inlet cam but theres oil getting to the exhaust cam fine. Theres no blockages anywhere from the sump to the cam, the head gaskets on right and is not blocking any feed holes and theres no carbon build up anywhere as its all been cleaned.

When i put my foot down it cuts the engine and bogs out from idle to about 2.5k then misfires and doesnt pick up well.

When it does pick up it feels restricted like somethings holding it back.

Theres 18 fault codes on the ECU.

All the earths are fine, the plugs are fine, the wires are fine, the batteries new, the alternator is putting out the right amount of volts and amps, the battery doesnt go flat so theres no drain whilst its off.

[Edited on 19-08-2010 by jibjob]
Kurt

19th Aug 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
X12XE, it's the future

The original 1.2 8v it had fitted and I toyed with kept up with Jakey's old 1.4 sport, that was until we hit that huge hill on the way back from Llandudno
Jakey
Premium Member

19th Aug 10 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » When to call it a day... 23 database queries in 0.1021860 seconds