corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Shocking download speed with BT Infinity!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Shocking download speed with BT Infinity!
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
1st Aug 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got BT infinity installed on Friday and were supposed to be getting up to 40MB download speed. The woman who installed it said we were getting about 25MB

Decided to download the new A team film and see how fast it was and according to uTorrent the down speed is about 35.0 KB/s.

Also when I tested it on Friday with a different film I was getting about 120 KB/s at peek times which I thought was pretty good so why am I only getting 35.0 KB/s now when its not as busy?

At that speed its going to take fucking ages! Our old broadband downloaded faster than that! Should I be contacting BT tomorrow?
Cavey

1st Aug 10 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends where you're downloading from on torrents, seeders etc?

Have you done a speedtest on it (speedtest.net)? and you might have to open certain ports to get it working better with torrents. (portforward.com) although not sure whether it'd have fibre optic routers on there yet (I think that's what infinity is)

Can hardly contact BT saying the film you're illegally downloading isn't going quick enough

[Edited on 01-08-2010 by Cavey]
bubble

1st Aug 10 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said-speedtest.net

i have a 20mb connection, and have 20mb on speedtest, but only normally do about 5/6mbs on utorrent
Cavey

1st Aug 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno if Vuze would be any different to utorrent, but could try that instead, it's another torrent client
Jamie-C

1st Aug 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey

Have you done a speedtest on it (speedtest.net)? and you might have to open certain ports to get it working better with torrents. (portforward.com) although not sure whether it'd have fibre optic routers on there yet (I think that's what infinity is)

Can hardly contact BT saying the film you're illegally downloading isn't going quick enough

Pirate bay, so seeders I think?

Its jumped up to 80 KB/s now on uTorrent but thats still slow!

And yeah infinity is fibre optic
N16K

1st Aug 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
quote:
Originally posted by Cavey

Pirate bay, so seeders I think?

Its jumped up to 80 KB/s now on uTorrent but thats still slow!

And yeah infinity is fibre optic

how much you pay a month?
Jamie-C

1st Aug 10 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£20, my Mum pays btw
Jamie-C

1st Aug 10 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've tried a few torrents now and I can't get over 80 KB/s ffs!

What a piece of shit! Our BT broadband before was faster and cheaper
moka

1st Aug 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check you have the correct ports open in your torrent app ie utorrent, also you might be downloading a torrent with hardly any seeders.... Download a normal file from somewhere like filehippo.com to check your speed.
Jamie-C

1st Aug 10 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by moka
Check you have the correct ports open in your torrent app ie utorrent, also you might be downloading a torrent with hardly any seeders.... Download a normal file from somewhere like filehippo.com to check your speed.

I haven't forwarded my ports yet if thats what you mean but that doesn't make much difference does it?
It had over 4000 seeders and about 2000 leechers.

Downloaded ccleaner from filehipo, think it was 3.2mb, was done in about 2 secs.
PaulW

1st Aug 10 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/bt_infinity_p2p/

quote:
BT has now also conceded that its traffic management equipment will restrict the bandwidth available to peer-to-peer protocols on both Infinity packages, as on its existing ADSL services.

BT says the timing of its peer-to-peer throttling varies, but is typically applied between 4pm and midnight during the week and 9am and midnight at the weekend. It doesn't disclose how tight the restrictions are.

Looks to me like they are being pretty aggressive with it...
Jamie-C

1st Aug 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/bt_infinity_p2p/

quote:
BT has now also conceded that its traffic management equipment will restrict the bandwidth available to peer-to-peer protocols on both Infinity packages, as on its existing ADSL services.

BT says the timing of its peer-to-peer throttling varies, but is typically applied between 4pm and midnight during the week and 9am and midnight at the weekend. It doesn't disclose how tight the restrictions are.

Looks to me like they are being pretty aggressive with it...

Double dutch to me mate

I forwarded my port, its gone up to 120KB/s now but thats still not fast tbh, 20KB/s faster than what it used to be
PaulW

2nd Aug 10 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, it means BT are slowing the speeds down when you download torrents, but don't slow it for normal web stuff.

Thats why ccleaner downloaded quick, yet torrents run like a bag of wank.
Hammer

2nd Aug 10 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nanny state broadband, great.
PaulW

2nd Aug 10 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One reason I'll never go with BT... Pretty much all ISP's do this now, thankfully bethere (who I'm with) don't, and I always get a constant 1.8mb/s on well seeded torrents.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 07:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seedboxes is where its at, I download to my server at wire speed then download it to my box over scp at full ADSL speed.
Sam
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Seedboxes is where its at, I download to my server at wire speed then download it to my box over scp at full ADSL speed.

Your server = web server hosted in a data centre or file server connected to (somewhere)?
willay
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 07:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a server in a DC, I download torrents to it or use rss feeds to get stuff automatically, it downloads and seeds for me and then I download off it at my leisure. So I'm never lagging out my connection by running torrents, and I get it pretty fast!
Root

2nd Aug 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when downloading..

your download speed is about 1/8th of your "broadband speed" eg: 20MB = 2.5kb/s

Also your download speed is affected by the server, it's not just you receiving data, the remote server is having to SEND you data, barely ever at optimum speeds either
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 09:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
its a server in a DC, I download torrents to it or use rss feeds to get stuff automatically, it downloads and seeds for me and then I download off it at my leisure. So I'm never lagging out my connection by running torrents, and I get it pretty fast!

But if you're wanting something right now, you'd be no better off?
noshua

2nd Aug 10 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people need to understand what a torrent is before blaming their connection for being shit.

Get usenet.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

usenet for me too better than torrents!

SSL Newzgroups
willay
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
quote:

But if you're wanting something right now, you'd be no better off?

Yes and no, my ISP will throttle torrents no doubt so my speeds will be wank, however they dont throttle stuff like FTP and SCP, so I download a 700MB movie to my torrent box which will take about 2 minutes if there is enough seeders and then SCP to my home box at 800kb/s

the RSS stuff catches all my usual episodes I download like family guy and futurama as soon as they are out on the private torrent sites i use so they are ready for me to grab when I get to my PC and I've been seeding them for ages so I'll get a wicked ratio.

So I am better off, and I share the box with a few people who help with costs. I'm currently seeding about 50GB of torrents and got about 188gb of stuff I need to clean off there. All without running a single thing on my home box, so my ADSL connection at home isnt lagged to fuck.

[Edited on 02-08-2010 by willay]
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems it doesn't stop your home connection being cut off tho
willay
Premium Member

2nd Aug 10 at 19:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Seems it doesn't stop your home connection being cut off tho

True that but this is the first time i've had issues for years regarding bandwidth, downloads are getting too juicy and big. But hey I dont have to pay any fees to cancel my contract - unlike my friend who got a letter through the door about downloading an album off a torrent site so they are demanding £350 in damages

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll