corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ideas needed to remove sheared off bleed screws

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ideas needed to remove sheared off bleed screws
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jun 10 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nightmare day today, doing some works on the brakes, then when it come to bleed them both bleed nuts sheared off on the rear wheel cylinders, they were that rusted in.

Anyway, i can get bleed nut seperate from ford, any ideas how to remove the remaining thread in the holes? if i can avoid changing the wheel cylinders i will
Scotty C

12th Jun 10 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heat and mole grips
SportBoy

12th Jun 10 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be easier to just change the cylinders imo, are they alloy cylinders on that? if they are you have next to no chance of getting the nipples out and even less if they are broken.

[Edited on 12-06-2010 by SportBoy]
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jun 10 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nothing to get the mole grips onto monster sheared off right upto the metal flange.

i hear you sportyboy, what about those screw extractors such as

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5pc-Screw-Extractor-Stud-Bolt-Remover-Easy-Out-Free-P-P-/350362695300?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item51933e7684
Scotty C

12th Jun 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New wheel cylinders then. Only about £15.

[Edited on 12-06-2010 by Monster]
SportBoy

12th Jun 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the screw extractors might work but you would need to get a pretty serious amount of heat around it to have a chance.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jun 10 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think im going to try drilling them out tomorrow, if that dont work or i knacker the threads then im not really in any worse position then needed new cylinders, i just cant be fucked the take the drums apart
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

12th Jun 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest for the sake of £10/15 you'd be as well replacing the cylinders.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jun 10 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not really the cost, its more the fact i will have to end up taking the drums apart, when if i could get get them out could be fixed in about 1 minute

[Edited on 12-06-2010 by Steve]
markx14xe

13th Jun 10 at 01:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can just remove the top springs maybe the adjuster aswell it aint rocket sciences m8
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 08:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes im quite aware of that but its still a lot more work then if i could get these out.

also the abs sensors will need coming out and these rarely come out without hassle or breaking, so if i start going down that road and have to break the abs sensors to get them out then thats 70 quid gone again
Adam-D

13th Jun 10 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it is easyr to change the cylinder.
allza

13th Jun 10 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't need to take abs sensors out surely? Also no need to take any of the shoes apart.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you do if you want to seperate the drums by removing the 4 stub axle bolts from behind.

i could just undo the hub nut and remove that way, however the bearing is conical, and the nut needs to be done up to 235nm after so you dont push pressure on the bearing, i dont have a torque wrench thats high enough to measure that, and i aint spending 70 quid on one just to do this
SportBoy

13th Jun 10 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your worring too much steve undo the big nut and just make sure its ft with a big bar after , will be fine and dandy
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youre the second person to tell me that tempted now
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 09:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it best to loosen the hub nut with the wheel on the ground through the hole in the center cap?
SportBoy

13th Jun 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the biggest ballache with changing the cylinders is removeing the little 8mm bolt/bolts think one of them is abit funny to get at and they have a habbit of rounding off.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair points, didnt realise it would be such a ballache.

As for the sensor if its part of the drum assembl surely you could just unplug it from the loom and leave it in place?

Having never seen a ford abs setup i dont know if that would work but thats what i done when i worked at Renault if i had to drop an axle off etc.
DaveyLC

13th Jun 10 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
nothing to get the mole grips onto monster sheared off right upto the metal flange.

i hear you sportyboy, what about those screw extractors such as

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5pc-Screw-Extractor-Stud-Bolt-Remover-Easy-Out-Free-P-P-/350362695300?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item51933e7684

If you buy one of these sets DO NOT buy a cheap one because it will just snap off in the bleed nipple and you'll NEVER drill it out.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
Fair points, didnt realise it would be such a ballache.

As for the sensor if its part of the drum assembl surely you could just unplug it from the loom and leave it in place?

Having never seen a ford abs setup i dont know if that would work but thats what i done when i worked at Renault if i had to drop an axle off etc.

nah cus the rear abs loom is all one piece on the fords both sides are joined

[Edited on 13-06-2010 by Steve]
allza

13th Jun 10 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah just undo hub nut and take drum off that way. Undoing stub axle bolts will be a ball ache.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well my first attempt at getting the screws out failed tried smacking a torx bit into the middle of it, but that just snapped off when i tried to undo it

oh well new wheels cylinders it is, i did manage to loosen the 10mm bolts holding the cylinders in and slackened the hose off so hopefully there will be no more drama when i come to replace them

[Edited on 13-06-2010 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jun 10 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new cylinders are identical both sides arent they?
mattk

13th Jun 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you do some fucking about with that car man

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ideas needed to remove sheared off bleed screws 22 database queries in 0.0973439 seconds