corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Benefits of blanking EGR valve

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Benefits of blanking EGR valve
kazazza

User status: Offline
15th Apr 10 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the benefits and disadvantages of blanking the EGR valve?

Why do people do it?

How long roughly does it take?
JaffaTB

15th Apr 10 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what engine, on my 1.2 8v it takes about 30min
moka

15th Apr 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He has a x16xe, im thinking about doing it on my x14xe. Car is very jerky and been told it could be EGR valve needs a clean. If im going to clean it i should also block it off... im not 100% sure why, would also like to know...
davcohen

15th Apr 10 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took about 10 mins on my 1.8 mk4 astra and after it ran so much smoother
djgritt
Premium Member

15th Apr 10 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally on a 14/16XE you need to take the upper inlet manifold off for improved access
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Apr 10 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pain in the arse to get to on an x16xe

takes me about 40mins to do

and ive done it a few times as cleaning it / blocking it off doesnt seem to work
kazazza

15th Apr 10 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any ideas about why it should be done/advantages and disadvantages? Time is the least of my worries tbh.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Apr 10 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to my knowledge

the egr valve puts hot exhaust gasses back into the inlet to help with emmissions i think

so by removing it there will be not hot air in the inlet making the air coming into the engine cooler and more dense causing a slightly higher bhp

i may be wrong though
N4_RUE

16th Apr 10 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did it to mine when it was a 14 engine went bang 2 weeks later
85 000 on the clock
JaffaTB

16th Apr 10 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

early corsa engines dont have them, my k reg 1.2 8v didn't but my p reg one does
Eddx14xe

16th Apr 10 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surly the egr wouldnt of caused it to go bang?

if you blank it off and leave the egr to vent to atmoshphere e.g tie it up somewhere it wouldnt cause any problem at all. Just means the engine has colder air in it
Crana

16th Apr 10 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my x14xe was keep cutting out so I blanked it off and it's been ok since not noticed much of a difference in power wise
Winemaker

16th Apr 10 at 05:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It needs to be done correctly, if you are just blocking off the secondary pump which is on the exhaust manifold it's not going to do stuff all except look a little neater in the engine bay. You need to remove the ICV at the back and blank it off as well or swing it to the side a bit after blanking it off so it can still push the ICV rod in and out. And the EML will eventually come on and stay on so you will need to get your ecu re-programmed, it's been a bloody long time since I did this so all the info' may not be correct.
Sean-B

16th Apr 10 at 05:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Winemaker
It needs to be done correctly, if you are just blocking off the secondary pump which is on the exhaust manifold it's not going to do stuff all except look a little neater in the engine bay. You need to remove the ICV at the back and blank it off as well or swing it to the side a bit after blanking it off so it can still push the ICV rod in and out. And the EML will eventually come on and stay on so you will need to get your ecu re-programmed, it's been a bloody long time since I did this so all the info' may not be correct.

EGR not ICV
Warren G

16th Apr 10 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on a desiel, at least

the idea of the egr valve is to cool the intake charge, bekieve it or not!
JaffaTB

16th Apr 10 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sure my 1.2 8v seemed to pick up better after i did this, eml light did come on a few times though
Winemaker

16th Apr 10 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
quote:
Originally posted by Winemaker

EGR not ICV

I stand corrected, thankyou
AlexW

16th Apr 10 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really suprised people have no clue about this mod.

Blanking it does mean that the intake air is slighty cooler, but it wont be enough to notice at all.

You need to keep the EGR valve pluged in so that the ECU light WONT come on, in thery anyway.

The SAI is nothing to do with the EGR, and moving the EGR valve (tieing it up somwhere) dont mean its vented to air as the in and out are under the EGR itself.

Its job in a standard engine is to help with the burn, in thery it adds a couple of MpG, otherwise its just for emissions. SAI is also purly for emmissions, but that wont make a car fail a mot, My tigra went through a perfectly strict MOT without EGR or SAI.
Warren G

16th Apr 10 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not stricty true

The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases.
moka

16th Apr 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Really suprised people have no clue about this mod.

Blanking it does mean that the intake air is slighty cooler, but it wont be enough to notice at all.

You need to keep the EGR valve pluged in so that the ECU light WONT come on, in thery anyway.

The SAI is nothing to do with the EGR, and moving the EGR valve (tieing it up somwhere) dont mean its vented to air as the in and out are under the EGR itself.

Its job in a standard engine is to help with the burn, in thery it adds a couple of MpG, otherwise its just for emissions. SAI is also purly for emmissions, but that wont make a car fail a mot, My tigra went through a perfectly strict MOT without EGR or SAI.

Right i understand what your saying but why after saying what you and others have said would you want to blank it off? It seems it would make no difference (or very little).
AlexW

16th Apr 10 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^Because they go wrong so offen, A brand new EGR is over £100, Blanking plate is under £10.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Benefits of blanking EGR valve 22 database queries in 0.0101550 seconds