corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Birkin S3 Kitcar build thread....

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Birkin S3 Kitcar build thread....
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
24th Feb 12 at 00:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was going to say the rear lights don't look vertical either, must be within tolerance.

Suppose there's no discretion to be had about the wiper motor. Easy fix I suppose.

Only one minor fault like that is the sign of a good kit / build although they should have spotted that, it'll be in the IVA manual somewhere.

[Edited on 24-02-2012 by Ian]
Ben J

24th Feb 12 at 06:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad hasnt read the manual cover to cover so must have missed it! Birkin being based in SA don't build the kits to pass IVA either so they probs aren't aware of the need for twin speed wipers.

What do you mean with the lights?

[Edited on 24-02-2012 by Ben J]
Ben J

24th Feb 12 at 06:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
Shame they failed it on something so stupid! Does it really make that much difference?

Pain in the ass! Looks great though!

Rules are rules tbh. The whole IVA test is a joke because once passed it never gets IVA'd again so you can change what you want and not worry if it's IVA compliant.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Feb 12 at 07:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant the manual as supplied by VOSA, assumed the kit manufacturer would be familiar but as you say, it's just one of their markets.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/124_IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual_Version_1111.pdf

Rear lights I thought would be pointing up too far but you get 5 degrees for the fog and 15 for all others, pages 22 and 28. Not sure what it used to be under SVA but I remember Ste had to make sure his were not flush to the bodywork because that would have aimed them too high.

That manual is an interesting read, you do wonder how many modified cars would pass it.

And re not needing a re-test if you change anything, there was a story about a guy had a feature in a kit car mag with his new engine, box, few other major components, VOSA made him get another SVA. Not sure how true it is.
Ben J

24th Feb 12 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I meant that manual too. We've got a copy but it's pretty heavy going so easy to miss something!

Yeah, get what you mean about lights now.

We are mainly going to be making cosmetic changes after IVA, like nicer wing mirrors etc, although the ones we want wouldn't pass. Also we've had to put edging strip on alot of edges too like around the exhaust heat shield, and that will all be coming off.

[Edited on 24-02-2012 by Ben J]
Ben J

27th Feb 12 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car booked in for re test 8.30am on Wednesday.

Turns out wiper motor is able to work 2 speeds, so its been wired up to allow twin speeds to operate.

My Dad's drivivng it the 7 miles to test centre this time instead of getting it trailered. Bound to get pulled with no plates on, although obv it perfectly legal to drive to and from the test.

[Edited on 27-02-2012 by Ben J]
Ben J

29th Feb 12 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just passed IVA!
Steve
Premium Member

29th Feb 12 at 08:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool m8 nice
Chris x

29th Feb 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
It's just passed IVA!
Nice one!
Ben J

9th Mar 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spare wheel carrier on. Rear number plate on. We got this reg a while ago.

J for Jackson, 7 for Lotus 7 replica and BKN for Birkin.

Excuse the poor qual pics. My dads having issues with camera.

Ben J

11th Mar 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both number plates on now. Better pics. Just waiting for V5 now. Press studs also fitted for boot cover and hood etc.

[Edited on 11-03-2012 by Ben J]
andys sxi
Premium Member

11th Mar 12 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks good whens it going to be painted? and what colour is it going?

April 08 feature car
Ben J

11th Mar 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like we are leaving the paint until back end of the year. It will need taking off the road and parts removing so seems sensible to do this over winter. This might change though.

Its going to be metallic silver with an anthracite (same as wheels) stripe down length and around nose cone tip. Headlights and a few other details will probably also be anthra too.

[Edited on 11-03-2012 by Ben J]
Ben J

16th Mar 12 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V5 and tax disc finally with us after DVLA took 11 working days to sort it out. Useless fuckers.

We are down in Norfolk end of month so will get more pics, and pics from my first drive etc.

Hoping to get a bullet cam or Go Pro or something at some point too.

[Edited on 16-03-2012 by Ben J]
Ben J

4th Apr 12 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sooooo....

Went down to my parents last Wednesday - Sunday and went out in the Birkin 3 times in all. Once as a passenger and twice driving.

All I can say is bloody hell its fast!

My Dad took me out first of all and I have to say he's rediscovered his love of speed. He's 62 now but back in the day he was involved in several forms of motorsport including Autotesting and Rallying for a lot of years. But since stopping and getting "old" he's lost his feel for it and had slowed down alot.

Well he scared the shit out of me when he took me out. I was trying to press the brakes from the passenger side!!

Acceleration is insane, and it handles like its on rails. The roads round where my arents live are perfect for a blast too.

My first drive was interesting. In hindsight I was trying to drive it too fast straight away instead of learning to drive it first. The clutch is ultra responsive, almost like an on/off switch which takes a bit of getting used to, as do non servo assisted brakes (that aren't properly run in yet).

We had planned more trips out but unfortunatley one of the front AVO shock absorbers blew a seal and started leaking oil so we couldn't risk it.

AVO have been awesome and even though the shocks were bought 2 years ago at the start of the build they have replaced it no fuss. Its only done 120miles tbh. They asked for us to send it back and they rebuilt it, checked and tested it and it was fine but were unwilling to risk it so are sending us a new one. Great service.

So now its a case of learning how to drive it properly so we can get the full potential from it. Tbh we've got no way near that yet. Keep telling my Dad that on track is the best place to learn but he's not convinced yet.

4 point harnesses have been ordered too.

[Edited on 04-04-2012 by Ben J]
djgritt
Premium Member

5th Apr 12 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great!

Ben J

5th Apr 12 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will look even better once the shit wing mirrors are swapped and its painted!

Also looking to soften the rear springs as the back is very feisty when lifting off, even on the straight.
Ben J

8th Nov 12 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Birkin has finally gone into a bodyshop for paint. Hopefully finished by next week .Main colour going on tomorrow, then stripe masked up and checked by my Dad, before being sprayed next week.

M Sutton

8th Nov 12 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome!! Bet its great fun to drive. Always wanted to drive a caterham/lotus 7 type car as there such a popular track day car!
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great, just re-read the thread What gearbox are you using?

Is it a type 9?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Ben J

8th Nov 12 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep type 9.
Darryl H
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they supposed to cope with that kind of power?

I think I may have missed it if you've said anything about it as I only really read the updates.

Ben J

8th Nov 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its only producing 180bhp, which isn't huge figures?

They are rated up to about 200bhp I think.

[Edited on 08-11-2012 by Ben J]
Darryl H
Premium Member

8th Nov 12 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ok I thought they were rated lower than that. Should be fine for your needs then!

Looking forward to seeing it in paint

Ben J

8th Nov 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep. To break 200bhp it would need uprated internals etc. That won't be happening for a while.

Its plenty quick enough as it it tbh. It does around 4.5second 0-60 at the mo.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Birkin S3 Kitcar build thread.... 24 database queries in 0.0193470 seconds