corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » AutoCAD Architecture 2010.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AutoCAD Architecture 2010.
sigibbons

User status: Offline
9th Feb 10 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently downloaded the student version to use on my uni projects. It seems like a great program so far, so many options and things that can be done pretty quickly!

I'm wondering if anyone uses this program and wouldnt mind giving me a few tips.

Thanks, Simon
AndyKent

9th Feb 10 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use it every day at work.

Very hard to give 'tips' though. Just start using it, you'll soon get the hang of bits and pieces.
Aleex

9th Feb 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also use CAD allday every day at work as long as you keep using it you'll pick it up
a_j_mair

10th Feb 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a AutoCAD 2010 on my desk to put on my laptop but havent got round to it as i am scared it will be the final knife in the back of it and finish my laptop off

I use 2009 Lt as has been said, the more you use it the easier it gets.

Id print off the keyboard comands and learn to use them as it is 10x quicker
Simon

10th Feb 10 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as above, I use it at work, is there anything in particular you want to know?

Are you studying architecture?

[Edited on 10-02-2010 by Simon]
sigibbons

10th Feb 10 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replys chaps!

I am studying Construction Management at Reading TVU, part of our core studies module is to reproduce a set of drawings for a bungalow. The drawings are given to us in paper form and asked to re-draw in AutoCAD.
I managed to get 13 months free on 2010 Architecture edition which is pretty good!

Specifics i'm stuck on at the moment are how to create an external door which opens out and has the sill on the outside (obviously).

Another is to create custom doors/windows. For example, creatings a large window frame which includes two fixed full height glazing panels and a fully glazed opening external door.

Also is there a way to save wall types, at the moment i'm using 100mm brick, 50mm air, 50mm ridgid and 100mm CMU. But i've had to draw walls then modify them to that spec.

At the moment i've just started the plan view for the bungalow so all the above is relating to that but i will shortly be working on the elevations and don't have much of an idea how to create these.

Many Thanks, Simon.
AndyKent

10th Feb 10 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out the English metric tutorials here - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=12748327&linkID=9240655

Should cover all the main bits and pieces you need to know, with nice step by step instructions.
Simon

10th Feb 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not got 2010 but for doors I think if you place them on plan there is a arrow which appears when you click on the door which allows you to flip it so it can open outwards, I think space bar flips the hinge as well.

Custom windows, doors and walls. The easiest way is to find an existing object which is as close to what you want and then duplicate it where you can rename and save it and then you can then alter settings on wall build ups, glazing panel sizes etc.

The elevations should sort themselves out if you've got the plan done right!
sigibbons

10th Feb 10 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys, I will look at the tutorials andy!

Simon, thanks. I know about flipping the door to open outwards but the sill seems to go to the inside of the house (external door).

The custom doors/windows seem pretty complicated, do you have to rename to be able to alter sizes etc?
AndyKent

10th Feb 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need to rename it if you have several different types of window - that'll save it as a separate windowstyle which doesn't affect any of your existing windows.

An outward opening external door is a bit unusual though, I wouldn't know how to do that off the top of my head. Why would you ever choose to have a door like that though?
sigibbons

10th Feb 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks i'll start renaming when I make changes to elements now.

LOL, I dont know why you'd want one, a bit silly but its whats drawn on the plans i'm copying so need to be able to replicate.
Simon

10th Feb 10 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm on my netbook so can't check at moment but if you stick a door in and then create aduplicate of it so you can edit it, is there not any options that you can do with the sill dimensions which will have it external?
oceansoul

11th Feb 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sigibbons
Thanks for the replys chaps!

I am studying Construction Management at Reading TVU, part of our core studies module is to reproduce a set of drawings for a bungalow. The drawings are given to us in paper form and asked to re-draw in AutoCAD.
I managed to get 13 months free on 2010 Architecture edition which is pretty good!

Specifics i'm stuck on at the moment are how to create an external door which opens out and has the sill on the outside (obviously).

Another is to create custom doors/windows. For example, creatings a large window frame which includes two fixed full height glazing panels and a fully glazed opening external door.

Also is there a way to save wall types, at the moment i'm using 100mm brick, 50mm air, 50mm ridgid and 100mm CMU. But i've had to draw walls then modify them to that spec.

At the moment i've just started the plan view for the bungalow so all the above is relating to that but i will shortly be working on the elevations and don't have much of an idea how to create these.

Many Thanks, Simon.

I go to Reading TVU also
a_j_mair

11th Feb 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when saying about renaming things are you talking about the blocks?

i have never used them, well i have tryed a couple times but never have the time to actually set them up properly, probably should, try keep up with the times
sigibbons

11th Feb 10 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think if you click on a pre-designed building element you have to rename before you can edit dimensions etc and be able to save it as a new element.

Oceansoul - What are you studying? What do you think of the uni?
Jules S
Premium Member

12th Feb 10 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to get some training on this next week.

Personally, I've found all Autodesk Architecture packages to be fucking rubbish since day 1...and I 100% believe Autodesk do too, as the Autocad programme can't really handle what the ADT package is attempting to achieve.

FWIW if I wasn't locked into 10+ Autocad/AEC/ADT licences I would have dropped Autodesk products a long time ago. My entire office stopped using all of the ADT apps about five years ago and simply reverted back to using Autocad because ADT was soooo bad.

Want to do a 3d model?

Cross over to revit maybe? Revit is still hard work though

In my office Architects sketch, Cad monkeys draw up the sketches, another monkey does a sketchup to model...and then people who know how to detail a building do the details on AutoCAD.
oceansoul

12th Feb 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sigibbons
Oceansoul - What are you studying? What do you think of the uni?

Im doing HNC in electrical engineering as part of my apprenticeship. Dont like the Uni at all. Blackboard is shit and doesnt work half the time, my course leaders dont tell us things like when our exams are...or where they are. We're still waiting for the results from 4 of our assessments from the last somester that were handed in 6-7 weeks ago. My ID card doesnt work half the time

It just seems really shit'ly run.
Simon

13th Feb 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jules, I think Architecture is what Autodesk call Revit now. I think they are working towards eventually making Architecture/Revit and AutoCAD into one package, got a fair way to go before that though.

In our offices I know the Directors are currently looking at upgrading licences because I think It is about to get very expensive if you don't get onto a subscription scheme soon
AndyKent

13th Feb 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The subscription service is quite good I've found. For instance Autodesk Impression is totally free to download to subscription customers and can easily be used to create stunning looking drawings.
Simon

13th Feb 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah Impression is OK, bit of a cheat though, like Sketchup making a model look like a wobbly line sketch
AndyKent

13th Feb 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit more than that, but kind of similar I guess

Still, for 'free' across all 12 of our machines running Autocad is pretty good value.
Jules S
Premium Member

13th Feb 10 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I think they are working towards eventually making Architecture/Revit and AutoCAD into one package, got a fair way to go before that though.

I think that's called Revit Architecture

As usual Autodesks products are very distinctive from each other

Oh, and we have been on subscription for years.....the new software always comes in and gets put in a cupboard becase nobody wants the hassle of upgrading
sigibbons

13th Feb 10 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok. Getting there! I have nearly finished my bungalow floor plan

Thanks for all your help and interesting info!
sigibbons

13th Feb 10 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing keeps bloody crashing now! Seems to happen mostly when i right click and edit element properties.

Anybody had similar?
sigibbons

15th Feb 10 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needing some help!

I'm totally stuck with changing roof slab edge styles. Also with giving the roof slab a finish, tiles.

Would anyone be able to give me some help or take a look at my drawing and make some changes?

Many Thanks, Simon.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll