corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N900 Review

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N900 Review
BarnshaW

User status: Offline
20th Jan 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well having had the phone a day now i would liek to report my findings:

- phone speed is amazing, applications and programs load immensely fast

- Keypad is 3 rows but buttons are firm and raised in the centre so easy to press, touch screen is very responsive but not overly responsive so that you scroll past things.

- The maemo browser is fantasic, even on the vodafone internet its insanely fast , just like a normal home broadband connection and has full page browsing. I have noticed that playing videos like on youtube etc is quite slow? not sure why or whether it was just site traffic.

- camera is pretty average, uses an LED flash which is pretty OK, the stand on the camera is also a nice feature.

- playback of videos and movies has fantastic quality, the quality is better then that of my new LCD tv at home

- have just downloaded an APP called aMSN which is basically msn for the phone, this is very neat and for a plugin its pretty good. Just like msn on the pc with all the features emotions etc.

- the phone does not come with MMS capabilities as standard but there is an app to now allow mms, i have yet to try this.

i will add more stuff when i come across it, there is still tons to try and go through yet but initial impressions as very good.

Tomnova16
Premium Member

20th Jan 10 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like ill be getting this instead of the iphone 3gs as i like to have a flash on the camera but with the features of the i phone

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
oceansoul

20th Jan 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are manufacturers releasing phone without support for MMS these days??
noshua

20th Jan 10 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mainly because they're idiots. For an 'iPhone rival' phone, I don't see how they haven't adopted the majority of the iPhone's features (read MMS).

What's the screen like? For general use, i.e. brightness. Looks really bright in pictures on the web.
jacko198

20th Jan 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a play on one of these the other day and from the 5 mins i was using it, i love it!

For me, its definatly the phone i need, i send arround (just under) 3000 texts a month which = alot a day, which i just could not do with a fully touch phone like the iphone etc
BarnshaW

20th Jan 10 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

screen is amazing quality, you can adjust the brightness etc upto like 10 dif settings.

i got it for the same reason jacko, i send masses of texts and need a keypad on a phone. It ticks all the boxes.

one thing i am not overly impressed with is the battery consumption? maybe i have been hammering it last 24 hours but it was fully charged and is going down a bit too quickly for my liking.
oceansoul

20th Jan 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of intrest what battery has it got in the back of it.
BarnshaW

20th Jan 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the battery reads as follows:

BL-5J

3.7v
oceansoul

20th Jan 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was wondering if it was the same as the battery in my E71. Spare battery ftw.

Its not however =[
A2H GO

20th Jan 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont understand why people who text a lot need a phone with buttons. I can text far quicker on my iPhone that any phone with buttons.
Cavey

20th Jan 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport
I dont understand why people who text a lot need a phone with buttons. I can text far quicker on my iPhone that any phone with buttons.

Really?

I can't stand texting on touch screen, having a qwerty keyboard is far easier for me, guess it's whatever you're used to I spose. Only bad thing is 1 handed texting is a bit of a challenge on qwerty keyboards, I have to use the touch screen on my n97 for 1 handed
adiohead

20th Jan 10 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
- The maemo browser is fantasic, even on the vodafone internet its insanely fast , just like a normal home broadband connection and has full page browsing. I have noticed that playing videos like on youtube etc is quite slow? not sure why or whether it was just site traffic.

i was looking at a hands-on review on youtube and the guy was having problems playing youtube videos too.

maybe it's something that'll be fixed in an update(?)
A2H GO

20th Jan 10 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh-Sport

Really?

I can't stand texting on touch screen, having a qwerty keyboard is far easier for me, guess it's whatever you're used to I spose. Only bad thing is 1 handed texting is a bit of a challenge on qwerty keyboards, I have to use the touch screen on my n97 for 1 handed

Yes, the keypad for texting is querty, fine one handed if you hold the phone vertically, or if you prefer, its full length if you hold the phone horisontally(both hands needed). Saying that, trying to text on the mrs Samsung touchscreen is near on impossible
Hammer

20th Jan 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
one thing i am not overly impressed with is the battery consumption? maybe i have been hammering it last 24 hours but it was fully charged and is going down a bit too quickly for my liking.

It has a smaller battery than the N97 mini which is already shit, that'll be the reason.

I'm still contemplating one though, I had a play with one last week and I liked it. I think the software will get better as well gradually.
Cavey

20th Jan 10 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, the battery on the mini is pretty crap if you use all the stuff, can get a 3 or 4 days out of it if you don't do anything with it though. Wifi, Internet etc...
John

20th Jan 10 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really want one of these.

2 things put me off, size firstly, it's massive.

Secondly is maemo, great potential, it's currently on a massive 1 phone though so although there will be software support, and more in the future, there won't be much about compared to more mature platforms.

I don't use that much add on software though tbh so the second point doesn't really matter.
Cavey

20th Jan 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the chance of getting Maemo for the N97? Is it the whole operating system, instead of the Symbian S60, or is it just the browser?

Haven't looked into it, so sorry if it's a stupid question
BarnshaW

20th Jan 10 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maemo appears to simply be a browser on the n900
Dom

20th Jan 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
What's the chance of getting Maemo for the N97? Is it the whole operating system, instead of the Symbian S60, or is it just the browser?

Haven't looked into it, so sorry if it's a stupid question

Maemo is a mobile OS (based on linux), so i doubt you'll get it working on the N97. Problem with Maemo is that, although it's currently version 5, it's still pretty much in it's infancy and Nokia have pushed it out to see what people will do with it (with it being opensource) rather than offering it as a done-deal OS for phones (hence why it's only be released on a handful of phones over the years). It'll be interesting to see if it catches on though and whether or not Nokia decide to use it on other phones.
I've also yet to find out whether nokia plan to update Maemo 5 on the N900 to 6 when it's released sometime this year....

However the N900 does look like a decent phone, been looking at getting one myself but will probably wait a few months to see what happens with Maemo.

New Poll