corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A question for EPS users.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author A question for EPS users.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Jan 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evening all.

When i bought my SXi sme 2 years ago, it used to pull to the left a little, and was always harder to turn right than left
Done the tracking at my former place of work, sorted it out a little.

Then for its MOT in March i took it to my old work, car was running when on the ramp, and the steering full locked to the left by itself, one of the boys i used to work with worked for vauxhall for years, after some discussion we tryed disconnecting the EPS computer, and it stopped it from full locking itself.

Replaced the computer from one from a scrap corsa i had and it seemed to cure it a bit for a while.

Now its started pulling left again.

Do these need to be reprogramed when the car is lowered/computer is changed.

I've disconnected it again for the time being but i'd rather it worked properly.

Thanks
pow
Premium Member

10th Jan 10 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt it to do with the motor? not the ECU?
pow
Premium Member

10th Jan 10 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats really scary though
Archie
Premium Member

11th Jan 10 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a seperate ECU for the EPS, i've never investagated further than this, hence me asking.

It's not like it wanders all over the place its just when there are no hands on the steering wheel, i know most cars are generally set to have a slight amount of left pull so if you die/fall asleep/are getting head at the wheel you wont veer into oncoming traffic but its quite severe, annoying and quite bad compared to the umpteen other cars i've owned.
sand-eel

11th Jan 10 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never knew cars had a slight left pull , I think its just the road camber really.
I've heard of this problem before, for some reason a steering angle sensor rings a bell
Archie
Premium Member

11th Jan 10 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry thats what i meant
It's late at night, aye that could be a shout, i recall doing a column on a Clio for a faulty angle sensor.

[Edited on 11-01-2010 by Archie]
Ian_GTI

11th Jan 10 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem with my old sxi. i was told it was a common fualt and was due to a faulty epas motor, the motor costs about 180 if i remember needless to say i put up with it after that
Archie
Premium Member

11th Jan 10 at 02:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'll just live with it then
allza

11th Jan 10 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it is very common fault. Requires a new column.
DaveyLC

11th Jan 10 at 07:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be the sensor in the column..

EPS is brilliant but when it goes wrong it can be bad news! Imagine if it did that on the motorway
ianofbhills

11th Jan 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is such a common fault on epas cars and its usually a really simple fix.

Most places you take it too will tell you to get a new column and motor to fix it which is obviously expensive.

However 9 times out of 10 all that is required is to just recalibrate the torque sensor as DaveyLC has stated which is pretty easy to do.

follow this link.
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/299486-corsa-c-eps-fault-hard-turn-right-possible-solution-anyone-tried.html
ianofbhills

11th Jan 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have in the past recalibrated the torque sensor without using a multimeter too as is described in that link.

If you have the front of the car on axle stands and turn on the ignition the epas motor will turn the wheels to full lock in the direction its easiest for you to steer (usually left)
If you loosen the two screws on the torque sensor on the steering column and slightly move the sensor until the cars wheels stay in the centre with the ignition on and you will have fixed the problem.

You will have to try it a few times and obviously its a lot less fiddly with a multimeter as you can see what you are doing and which way you need to go. Its just a potentiometer that needs putting back to the correct volt range.
Archie
Premium Member

11th Jan 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superb, i'll get the multimeter out first day its dry

It's a shame i dont work at Renault anymore as i could have used the diagnostic to view the parameters etc.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » A question for EPS users. 22 database queries in 1.9113510 seconds