corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Nexus One Google Phone

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nexus One Google Phone
p

User status: Offline
8th Jan 10 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do people think about it ?
jamied

8th Jan 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks orite but im iPhone all the way unfortunately
ed

8th Jan 10 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it'll be hard to make judgement until it comes out over here in the next couple of months. Certainly worth a look though
bubble

9th Jan 10 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engadget werent mega impressed. tbh its just a way for google to put their foot in the door,and show that they can craft software and implement ideas into hardware.
Bart

9th Jan 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it does look quite nice and the phone is fairly small.

Im still have with my iphone tbh.
pow
Premium Member

9th Jan 10 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm tempted by one...
oceansoul

9th Jan 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt it just a htc running android?

And what happened to the last google phone about last year time? The odd one that kinda opened like n97 does. My mate had one last xmas and really raved about it. didnt seea anything of them after that..
oceansoul

9th Jan 10 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what happened to the last google phone about last year time? The odd one that kinda opened like n97 does. My mate had one last xmas and really raved about it. didnt seea anything of them after that..
PaulW

9th Jan 10 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul

Pretty much...

Tech specs from what I understand of the new one, its designed to use 3G only on T-Mobiles carrier frequencies, so other networks will be restricted to 2.5G speeds. Various other shit tie-ins and other restrictions too... And you can only buy it "Direct" from Google, you can't just walk into a phone shop and buy it there...

HTC build quality (ie, longevity) isn't exactly renound, so it will eventually break or get worn and look tatty as hell.

tbh, better off with another brand handset running Android. The SE X10 looks promising (one I'm getting), comes with 'droid 1.6 by default, but SE have said they will be releasing 2.1 as a simple ROM update at a later date (once it's "Matured and Tested" enough according to them...) Then you have the new Motorola's which look pretty good

Either way, the googlephone is pretty much same spec as current new 'droid running phones, except its google-designed... Nothing overly new with it, no "Unique" features (other than the ability to have something engraved on the back at purchase like the iPod/iPhone)... The camera is also only 5MP (other 2.1 handsets are upwards of 8MP getting)... 1GHz SnapDragon processor, same as the other 2.1 handsets...

Yeah... buy one if you fancy being a googlefanboy, but if you want something a bit more better, consider other manufacturers and go from there...

[Edited on 09-01-2010 by PaulW]
bubble

9th Jan 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
quote:

Pretty much...

Tech specs from what I understand of the new one, its designed to use 3G only on T-Mobiles carrier frequencies, so other networks will be restricted to 2.5G speeds. Various other shit tie-ins and other restrictions too... And you can only buy it "Direct" from Google, you can't just walk into a phone shop and buy it there...

HTC build quality (ie, longevity) isn't exactly renound, so it will eventually break or get worn and look tatty as hell.

tbh, better off with another brand handset running Android. The SE X10 looks promising (one I'm getting), comes with 'droid 1.6 by default, but SE have said they will be releasing 2.1 as a simple ROM update at a later date (once it's "Matured and Tested" enough according to them...) Then you have the new Motorola's which look pretty good

Either way, the googlephone is pretty much same spec as current new 'droid running phones, except its google-designed... Nothing overly new with it, no "Unique" features (other than the ability to have something engraved on the back at purchase like the iPod/iPhone)... The camera is also only 5MP (other 2.1 handsets are upwards of 8MP getting)... 1GHz SnapDragon processor, same as the other 2.1 handsets...

Yeah... buy one if you fancy being a googlefanboy, but if you want something a bit more better, consider other manufacturers and go from there...

its running 3.5g on voda as well.
pow
Premium Member

9th Jan 10 at 11:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't Voda running on EDGE these days?
ed

9th Jan 10 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they are then they fail at operating a mobile phone network.
bubble

9th Jan 10 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

nooooooooooo!!

o2 use edge!!

we hit 3.5 g umts and are ready for 4g when more devices support it
Bart

9th Jan 10 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o2 have edge and 3G?
ed

9th Jan 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O2 use GPRS, EGPRS (Edge if you're an American) and 3G.
Doug

9th Jan 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a couple people at work who have ordered them. See what Android 2.0 is like! They may have fixed some of the software holes we use though
jezza

9th Jan 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
quote:

Pretty much...

Like how you talk about HTC's dodgy build quality and then say you're getting a SE, they're not built strong like they used to be!

But yeah, the Nexus One is a load of hype, not bringing much new to the table! It's cool that you can dictate text's and emails etc though I doubt I'd ever use it.
John

9th Jan 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's nothing wrong with HTC build quality, do you even know how many people they make phones for, including SE?

The plastics on my Magic could have been a bit better but there was nothing at all wrong with the way it was put together.
jezza

9th Jan 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talking to me John? If so I never had a problem with my HTC Touch HD's construction.
Dom

9th Jan 10 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubble
quote:
Originally posted by pow

nooooooooooo!!

o2 use edge!!

Voda uk do run Edge, seen it pop up on the phone numerous times. And what's the HSDPA coverage like? i thought Voda only had it in Central London and Manchester and the likes (major cities)?

Back on topic though, as previously said the Nexus One is mostly hype. Looks like a great phone but android 2.1 seems to be mostly UI changes rather than anything major. Certainly don't think it's worth the £400 odd quid price tag to get one shipped to the UK (although i hear Voda are planning to sell it here/Europe).
bubble

10th Jan 10 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

nooooooooooo!!

o2 use edge!!

Voda uk do run Edge, seen it pop up on the phone numerous times. And what's the HSDPA coverage like? i thought Voda only had it in Central London and Manchester and the likes (major cities)?

Back on topic though, as previously said the Nexus One is mostly hype. Looks like a great phone but android 2.1 seems to be mostly UI changes rather than anything major. Certainly don't think it's worth the £400 odd quid price tag to get one shipped to the UK (although i hear Voda are planning to sell it here/Europe).

we dont run edge.

o2 asked us to activate edge in southampton and nottingham years ago for a few days to help them out.

if your phone displays edge, it is the 3g signal going weak and the phone thinking its on edge.

hsdpa is hit n miss like every network. good in london and other citys, im in stoke and got it here.

google state that vodafone arent selling it directly.

i disagree
pow
Premium Member

10th Jan 10 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

nooooooooooo!!

o2 use edge!!

Why has my E66 recently started displaying E under my signal bar then? It's not emergancy because i've still got signal on Voda.

3.5G is cool though.

Bubble, when is the Nexus available? U2U if you like, i'm very interested in one. Contract is up in April as well (with Voda ATM)

[Edited on 10-01-2010 by pow]
noshua

10th Jan 10 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the answer is clearly stated above

edit: what sort of speeds are you looking at on mobile phones, with 3.5g, realistically?

[Edited on 10-01-2010 by noshua]
John

10th Jan 10 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jezza
Talking to me John? If so I never had a problem with my HTC Touch HD's construction.

Was aimed at paulw.
bubble

11th Jan 10 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

nooooooooooo!!

o2 use edge!!

Why has my E66 recently started displaying E under my signal bar then? It's not emergancy because i've still got signal on Voda.

3.5G is cool though.

Bubble, when is the Nexus available? U2U if you like, i'm very interested in one. Contract is up in April as well (with Voda ATM)

[Edited on 10-01-2010 by pow]

its out within 2 weeks touch wood (silent release) but we may be selling it directly rather than through google, so hold fire!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll