corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » retro american cars

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author retro american cars
sand-eel

User status: Offline
1st Nov 09 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A vauxhall nova with TSW Venoms is retro.
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 00:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Again, no. That is just a nice car and practically brand new too.
Adam_B

1st Nov 09 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
No, that would just be getting on a bit mate.

A Chrysler PT Cruiser is 'Retro', a 'new' Beetle is 'Retro' a BMW mini is 'Retro', a brand spanking new Ramones Tee shirt is 'Retro'.

In your opinion
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously it's an abreviation of retrospective. When used in relation to products or items, it's normally new stuff that's harking back to another period.

A bit like the god awful burger bar at Bluewater.
sand-eel

1st Nov 09 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A selection of my favourites...
CBA photobucketing them.

http://www.vicarimotorsports.com/1966%20Chevrolet%20Corvette%20Stingray.jpg

http://www.marquisecollision.com/images/Mustang.jpg

http://www.leola.k12.sd.us/student%20pages/Austin%20Schanzenbach/31436892_2.jpg

http://media.canada.com/267c54bd-63f5-4113-9b72-08e5f2aaa7c2/cns-0922musclecar.jpg

SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 00:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you have a nice old Yank Adam?

And no, i'm not being rude.
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice selection Mister Eel. If I can choose two, i'll be having the 'Cuda and the Charger.
Adam_B

1st Nov 09 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually its from the Latin prefix retro and means backwards or in past times. In regards to retrospective, it refers to a nostalgic or critical eye toward the past.

Retro is a term used to describe, denote or classify culturally outdated or aged trends, modes, or fashions, from the overall postmodern past, but have since that time become functionally or superficially the norm once again. The use of "retro" style iconography and imagery interjected into post-modern art, advertising, mass media, etc. has occurred from around the time of the industrial revolution to present day.

Retro style is all the crap boxes you listed, The car in my link is just retro. In my opinion. Wikipedia for the win.
Adam_B

1st Nov 09 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Would you have a nice old Yank Adam?

And no, i'm not being rude.

I love the styling and the noise and for some wierd reason im really liking the fact that they make an awesome noise without going fast, i am feeling a bit off colour today though. Not sure if thats enough reason to own one though, i deffinitly wouldnt own something massive like a Charger.
Eck
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 01:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love any of those ridiculous things that have 400+ci of noise. Plus, just stick a big ass turbo/supercharger onto it and it's as quick as it is loud
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I had the money and the room I would.

I think it comes from watching Starsky & Hutch, Kojak, Hawaii 5-0, The Streets of San Francisco, The Fall Guy, The dukes of Hazzard, The Cannonball Run, Convoy, Vanishing Point, Two Lane Black Top, Smokey and the Bandit, Dirty Harry etc etc etc as a child. It's imprinted in my brain to want a large, powerfull American car.

I think watching the Sweeney, The Professionals, The Avengers, The Long Good Friday etc is why I like Fords, Rovers, Triumphs, Jensens, Rolls Royces etc from that period so much too.

God if only I had a heated barn and a load of cash.
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
Actually its from the Latin prefix retro and means backwards or in past times. In regards to retrospective, it refers to a nostalgic or critical eye toward the past.

Retro is a term used to describe, denote or classify culturally outdated or aged trends, modes, or fashions, from the overall postmodern past, but have since that time become functionally or superficially the norm once again. The use of "retro" style iconography and imagery interjected into post-modern art, advertising, mass media, etc. has occurred from around the time of the industrial revolution to present day.

Retro style is all the crap boxes you listed, The car in my link is just retro. In my opinion. Wikipedia for the win.

The thing is, 'retro' is looking back. These cars aren't looking 'back'. They come from 'back' They aren't remeniscing about a period. They are already old because they were contemporary during the very period that something new may mimic in a retro fashion.

I suppose one could be having retrospective thoughts re their next purchase of a car, i.e. buying an old one, but to me, for a car itself to be conventionally retro it has to be trying to be something that it isn't namely old when it's sat there in all it's plastic glory wearing a 59 reg plate.
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I'd love any of those ridiculous things that have 400+ci of noise. Plus, just stick a big ass turbo/supercharger onto it and it's as quick as it is loud

That lovely Z28 that Adam opened the thread with is almost exactly the same price my MG was Eck.

I think i'd still have chosen the MG though as it has the best of both worlds, plus it's the only new car that i've ever actually wanted whilst ever being in the slightest bit likely to be able to afford it. Well sort of.

I suppose it was just nice to be able to get my mitts on something that reflected the type of car made in the UK during and before my childhood, that had always and still does appeal to me.

The 28 is lovely and it's probably quicker, but mine was mine from new and that means a lot to me. It's also RHD and has a 5th gear.

It probably handles a bit better than the Camaro too.
Eck
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 01:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You still have three hundred and fifty inches Jimbo, which is more than enough
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you been watching me shower again? I thought we spoke about this...
All Torque

1st Nov 09 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
are they overly unreliable?

[Edited on 31-10-2009 by Adam_B]

Quite the opposite. The further back you go the easier they are to maintain, although spares are a bastard to find. Ford 360Ci Windsor engines only have 4 moving parts and can be repaired with a spade, Mustangs had them and thats why they win.
All Torque

1st Nov 09 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

That lovely Z28 that Adam opened the thread with is almost exactly the same price my MG was Eck.

I think i'd still have chosen the MG though as it has the best of both worlds, plus it's the only new car that i've ever actually wanted whilst ever being in the slightest bit likely to be able to afford it. Well sort of.

I suppose it was just nice to be able to get my mitts on something that reflected the type of car made in the UK during and before my childhood, that had always and still does appeal to me.

The 28 is lovely and it's probably quicker, but mine was mine from new and that means a lot to me. It's also RHD and has a 5th gear.

It probably handles a bit better than the Camaro too.

Pics of your re-badged Rover?
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 02:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good morning dear. The only ones I have the technology to show you are the three shots of it looking filthy at Santa Pod in JR's garage i'm afraid Peter.
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have some lovely shiney pics of it on the PC from when it was sat in the dealers the week before I picked the old girl up but I am low tech and stupid, so know not how to post them without Prem.
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by All Torque

Ford 360Ci Windsor engines only have 4 moving parts and can be repaired with a spade,

All Torque

1st Nov 09 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you drive now sweetness? Still got the Orion and the Merc?
SVM 286

1st Nov 09 at 02:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do indeed. They are on SORN as well. Poxy DVLA fined me for the Mrec last month too.

Currently driving nothing as wrote the Pug off in September and been off work ever since.
Eck
Premium Member

1st Nov 09 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What happened Jim?
Cosmo

1st Nov 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes if it is this...

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » retro american cars 22 database queries in 0.1942739 seconds