corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » help please with corsa c rub strip

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help please with corsa c rub strip
corsa90

User status: Offline
   23rd Oct 09 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi was wondering does anyone know if the black pannel rub strip along the side of a corsa c is held on with stick tape or are they bolted on and will leave holes in the bodywork?

cheers

[Edited on 23-10-2009 by corsa90]
reidy22

23rd Oct 09 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there stick on mate only thing that has 2 holes in it is the rear vaux badge
Rich H

23rd Oct 09 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by reidy22
there stick on mate only thing that has 2 holes in it is the rear vaux badge

Correct.

Although it has become a bit of a common problem to find moisture beneath them trapped in the clearcoat (lacquer) sometimes it can be removed using a heat gun, sometimes it leaves the paint fooked so will look better with the rub strips back on
reidy22

23rd Oct 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea thats about rite am taking mine of 2mra the old fashioned way bit of elbo grease and sum petrol
Rich H

23rd Oct 09 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heatgun to soften the glue first will make the job a million times easier as you should then be able to pull most the glue off with the rubstrip meaning minimal effort to get the remaining crap off!
reidy22

23rd Oct 09 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true lol but dont hava heat gun soo looks like the hard way keep me from bein bored for a gud few hours
corsa90

24th Oct 09 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the replys, whats the best way to get all the glue off and get the paintwork looking mint? im using a hairdryer will that melt all the glue?
woodymbr

24th Oct 09 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hairdryer might be ok, but like said above a heat gun is best. On my old C I also used AG Intensive Tar Remover and a lot of rubbing
corsa90

24th Oct 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have started taking the rub strips off however it is taking forever to get the sticky tape off and where the rub strip was is a bit of a lighter colour of the rest of the car, what should i do?
Rich H

25th Oct 09 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you'll need to get all the glue off to try and match the paint colour as that'll need machine polishing most probably. If that fails then you'll need to stick them back on
corsa90

25th Oct 09 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going to take it 2 the body repair shop tomorrow 2 c if they can sort it, has any1 had the same problem and body shop polished it out?
reidy22

25th Oct 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can usually tcut it back 2 colour mate
corsa90

25th Oct 09 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have tried tcut but it doesnt remove this mark, it is like a white/faded stripe and nothing i do will remove it, i dont even know if the body shop will b able 2, its doing my head in
Rich H

25th Oct 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heat gun. Sounds like condensation as I mentioned to start with!
corsa90

25th Oct 09 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the paint under it isnt bobbly or anything its just a faded/white colour is that condensation?
Rich H

25th Oct 09 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AFAIK yes, that's the issue quite a few on CC|UK have. Some have success with a heatgun, some don't.
corsa90

25th Oct 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

il give it ago 2moro c if i have any luck but its not just the condensation thats the problem there also seems to be a indent of where the rub strip was?
Rich H

26th Oct 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa90
il give it ago 2moro c if i have any luck but its not just the condensation thats the problem there also seems to be a indent of where the rub strip was?

In that case the door may have seen paintwork in the past and the bodyshop didn't remove the rub strip lol. Try and get some pics up mate.
corsa90

27th Oct 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have been to the garage and the man had a look at my car and said that the back quatre of my car at one point was sprayed without taking the rub strip off with has left a inprint, he said they had made a really good job of it tho ( i couldnt tell it was ever sprayed!) so instead of putting the strip back on i have booked it in to be painted along 1 side and they are going to remove the sticky tape on the other side and get rid of the condensation for £200 think thats resonable? and il get some pics on asap
tomo2k9

27th Oct 09 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldent pay 200 quid for that mate iv got the same problem on the one side, like this is is mate ???

well iv gotta have the hole one side sprayed mate (oposite side to that^^^) and he has got to sort abit out aswell but the chap at my local body shop said he will do the lot for 325 witch is sort out the repair iv already started and then paint the hole of the one side then he will sort that orther side out aswell all for 325, if he is gonna spray the hole side for 200 quid then that would be great but if he said he is only gonna sort out that mark then id tell him were to go lol
corsa90

27th Oct 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine has a imprint where the strip was and lodsa white marks and scratches and yeah he is gona spray the whole side and he makes a mint job of all the cars he does, he is fully booked till 10 days time that shows he will make a good job of it, id rather wait and get a gud job done!
tomo2k9

27th Oct 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats good for 200 quid then mate i thought he was just gonna spray the damaged bit lol

New Poll