corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Installing powerbox questions/problems (UPDATED with pics)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Installing powerbox questions/problems (UPDATED with pics)
XozziDK

User status: Offline
13th Oct 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have some questions before starting to installing my powerbox, since it looks like the guide thats comming with the box, and the one on this site is a little different?

All the vac hoses, should they be connected together in one big circuit, or should the map sensor go into the powerbox only, and the other (tank vent switch, fuel pressure regulator, brake servo)

The two copper brass pipes thats on the throttle body, arent they used anymore? and what about the hoses thats comming off them are they just dead end?

Is it important to plug in the egr plug? when you blinded it? becouse I can move the egr/throttle body wires up to the new throttle body location, but then the egr cant reach to be plugged in

Edit: PICTURES OF VAC HOSES/INSTALLATION IS IN MY REPLY LATER IN THE THREAD

[Edited on 15-10-2009 by XozziDK]
allyp

13th Oct 09 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi there mate, i would connect the map sensor seperatley, then run the the other vacum hoses of a t-piece using the other conector on the powerbox.
As for the hoses on the throttle body you need to join them together using one of the brass fixings from the thottle body, should just twist out!
you need to keep the egr still plugged in as it will bring up your engine managment light up, all you need to do is pull the connector and wire out of the loom till it will reach the egr and then wrap the wires with insulation tape

Hope this helps mate
barneykarl

13th Oct 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What one did you buy ,can you post a piccy.
XozziDK

13th Oct 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought it from flame

theres 1 big, and 1 small vac outlet

big one goes to the brake servo thingy (drivers side) and at the one-way vent I've connected fuel vent, rocket cover(small vac) and fuel pressure regulator - all with t-pieces.

The small outlet on the powerbox is now only connected to the map-sensor with a short hose

I've done the wiring so all plugs are in their original spots, and installed air temp sensor in the intake pipe between filter and throttle body

--

One thing I'm a little unsure of, is the pipes that was originally in the throttle body. One of them is mysteriously gone (???) I simply can't find it! . But the one pipe I had left, was a water cooling hose, comming out from a bigger cooling hose behind the engine (below intake manifold) - I attached it to the small outlet on the coolant water bottle (I didnt know where this goes either, so I thought they fitted together)

--

But the engine runs very bad! like it runs on 2 cylinders or something, I can't keep it alive below 2-3000 rpm (using throttle) and it sounds like a very sich tractor! - and when it dies, it shoots smoke out of the airfilter and it sounds a loud 'poof' sounds.

I really dont know what could be wrong, I've been checking up on the different guides I've found on the internet several times and can't seem to find any mistakes. Only thing I've got in mind, was maybe the gaskets, since I used the old stock gaskets . So I splitted it all apart again, and I got hands on some liquid gasket, and now I'm waiting for it to dry... Could it be it? Or do you have any other suggestions or can you tell me if I did something wrong?

EDIT: Tried starting up the engine, after doing the gasket work, but still didnt work ... But now it went up to 3000 rpm itself, and then died shortly after (but with no poof this time) . AND now it wont start at all! - it sounds like it really want to start, but it's not enough to get the engine running - it just humps a little while spinning the starter.

Before I did the gasket work, I checked on the spark plugs and they we're all black except one that was very dark brown (very! :b) - so could it be becouse something with the mixture? fuel pressure regulator?

Guess I have to borrow my mothers car to work tomorrow

[Edited on 13-10-2009 by XozziDK]

Richardhhha

13th Oct 09 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok when i did mine is was a little git tbh but its ok

first check for air leaks
second check for wire damage
third is everything tightened properly
forth are all the vacume hoses on properly

first
take the power box off and reseal the throttle body (both sides of the gasket with instant gasket) and the same for the inlet manifold gasket and also the throttle body blanking plate needs sealing properly

second
depending on how you did the wiring (you ether cut the wiring and extened it or you stripped the loom and split it that way)
make sure you have not messed up the wiring as this wil really fuck things up and also make sure everything is clipped in properly.

third
Make sure everything is tight, the throttle body bolts are a bit of a bugger to get to but you must make sure they are tight as they can be, but with bolting down the inlet manifold you have to be carefull as flames inlets bend ever so easely due to there thin walled design.

forth
Vacume hoses
i'll take a pic of the way mine are run tomorrow for you as i find this the best way
also you will find that my hoses are blue because the ones flame sends are a little well crap so i bought 2m of the stuff off ebay for £3.99 3mm internal diameter tho...

[Edited on 13-10-2009 by Richardhhha]
Sean-B

13th Oct 09 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure only one pipe from your fuel tank vent valve is in your vacuum network the other goes to a thin solid black pipe that runs behind the engine. I made this mistake....
XozziDK

13th Oct 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, I'll go through these steps tomorrow then ..

Also I forgot about the throttle body blanking plate when I tried to re-gasket the stuff.. But I didn't use the original gasket, I just 'made' a liquid-seal only.

So should I use the liquid seal on both sides of the original used gasket? and them clamp it all together?

Wiring is done by removing the covering/tape etc and then re-taping the wires. Haven't cut anything at all so they should be ok

I've noticed that the top plate is bending a little down around each bolt, after tightening the bolts, but is that to much then? ;(

Edit: Fuel tank thing is only 1 hose , I've been checking that earlier today hehe

Sean-B

13th Oct 09 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does the powerbox not have supports inside that the bolts go through to stop it squashing?
Richardhhha

13th Oct 09 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

flames ones do sean but they are copper and very bendy
Richardhhha

13th Oct 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep instant gasket on both sides of the old gasket, and do it again to the throttle body blanking plate

check the wiring for any damage as my 14xe's wiring loom the EGR wiring is spliced into the Throttle body loom so i couldnt split my loom i had to cut
XozziDK

14th Oct 09 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not cutted in the wires, I just removed the tape and plastic covers, and some of the wires to the egr plug was soldered to other cables that went to other plugs, but I just taped the new egr plug from that point, and that was enough to do the job and make all plugs go to their sensors/etc.

Yeah there are 2x copper tubes at each bolt (1 small that goes into a bigger copper tube) - but its only the top plate thats bending a little. When I had the powerbox off first time, I checked that the bottom plate was still flat.

I will try and take it all apart again (powerbox off, throttle body off, blanking plate off) and do the new gaskets 100% making totally sure NOTHING is leaking. Even though I dont think it does now, but who knows? I think the most probable thing is the blanking plate, since I just attached it with the old gasket only without much pre-cleaning as I didnt think it was that important

And Im still worried about the fault code I'm getting with the paperclip-test
Its not giving out 12-12-12-fault-fault-fault-12-12-12 but it just repeats this sequence: 1-4-10-5
Have anyone ever heard of that before? ;S , is my ecu blown off?

EDIT: (Solution to paperclip test) - I just found out simtec ecu's send out 4-digit fault codes, and 10 is a 0. I googled a simtec fault code list and found out that fault 1405 is egr valve, and I believe thats allright then

Also, I've taken some pictures of my vac hoses, so please let me know if anything is not correct

Overview: (yes its a left hand driven car :b)

The air temp sensor connected, the two and the two brass pipes on the throttle body going nowhere - the only two plugs going in the throttle body can also be seen here connected.

MAP-Sensor connected in a solo-circuit to the powerbox + plug connected.

T-piece at the oneway valve on the big brake servo hose

T-pieces by the rocketcover + the small airfilter installed on the big pipe that was going to the old intake pipe.

Closeups on the T-piece connecting fuel pressure regulator and tank vent vac hoses to the circuit.

Best Regards
Rasmus

Edited to fix photos
Edited to post solution to paperclip

[Edited on 14-10-2009 by XozziDK]

[Edited on 14-10-2009 by XozziDK]
XozziDK

15th Oct 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump. need feedback to the pictures please
barneykarl

15th Oct 09 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

failed post.

[Edited on 15-10-2009 by barneykarl]
barneykarl

15th Oct 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above ,
XozziDK

15th Oct 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay.. I've found out the rocketcover vac hose just has to go nothing.

And your picture is pretty small so it's also hard to see how its connected

but your fuel pressure regulator and tank vent is connected with a t-piece..
- is it then going in circuit with the map sensor or do you have two vac outlets on the vx-powerbox?

And brake servo pipe going in the big one of course - did you change anything at the oneway vent thats on the brake servo pipe?
dalejones

15th Oct 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that little breather on the rocker cover u blank that off it u run it into the powerbox it will run like a dog!
barneykarl

15th Oct 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xozzidk, I will take some better pics of mine if you need them, like dale said the little stub out of cover gets blanked or plugged up and the larger one goes to nothing or like mine into a filter then to air. brake servo is the same as on original set up, long time since I done this so a bit rusty with my help but can post close up pics if you want later.
XozziDK

15th Oct 09 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay.. but does it make any changes that ive connected fpr and tank vent to the brake servo pipe ?? its just to make sure the map sensor gets enough vacuum
Richardhhha

15th Oct 09 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's a vid of how mine are run and they are fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sujEtBzSUvY
XozziDK

15th Oct 09 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I just made it like in the video, and it still wont start at all

If im starting with no throttle it sounds like a dead engine!

If I give full throttle, it gives sign of life , but wont start - only humps a little..

If I manage to get it started (only possible very short since its going out itself) it still sounds like shit

I have checked all vac hoses thousands of times, all cables thousands of times, made new gaskets that for sure it tight.. I dont know what could be wrong?

I tried the paperclip test again just before, and I saw that after the egr fault, its comming with 0325 which is knock sensor.. what about that? ;o

Any smart brainiacs out there? :O

Regards
Rasmus
XozziDK

16th Oct 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
XozziDK

16th Oct 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update: Removed the ground cables that was around the alternator, and the ones that was bolted on the at the old throttle body location..

Then I;
- Used sanding paper on the cable shoes till they we're totally blank.
- Also on the area sorrounding the bolt-on location.
- Replaced the old bolts with new ones

And then I assembled it all again (to ensure they had good connection)

Also, I made a new thick gound cable that went from the battery to the alternatorbracket (where the other ground cables are placed too :b)

So the ground cables are in angle now!
Also the instake is not leaking air, since I've done the gaskets good!
And the vac hoses are done accordingly to the video Richardhhha posted (thanks)

So what could be wrong? ;S
- The only lead I have, is the fault codes thats comming out of the ecu: EGR and Knock sensor(1) ..

Does anyone know where the knock sensor is located? So I can check out the wires or replace it? - Or is it possible that the fault code is showing becouse the engine is turned off doing the test?

Regards
Rasmus

Edit: I also checked on the fuel pump, since I thought it was suspicious the spark plugs we're all black and the pump didn't spin when I turned on ignition - so I force started the fuel pump with a direct wire from the battery, and tried to start the engine while having the pump running, but it didnt help

[Edited on 16-10-2009 by XozziDK]
Richardhhha

16th Oct 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have an emobalizer? As that would stop the fuel pump priming the system.. Or has the wiring for the fuel tank vent valve gone funny? But if it keeps coming up with egr then make sure the plug is on it properly, them next thing is to take it out and replace it.
XozziDK

16th Oct 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should the egr not come up with eml when I've only blanked the old throttle body location? ...

And I don't know if I got an emobalizer (I dont even know what it is, lol) but the corsa is from 1999 - which is one of the latest models, so I believe it might have, if its only late-corsas having emobalizer installed..

And the fuel tank vent valve is connected correctly .. I checked again when you posted the video
Richardhhha

16th Oct 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope the eml shouldn't come on if the throttle body is blanked off, thats whats making me think its a egr fault or its a wiring fault where you split the loom, you made sure the 3 wires that go into the egr are ok as with mine the main feed wise was spliced onto the main feed for the throttle position sensor.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll