corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Worktop help!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Worktop help!
JadeM
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Sep 09 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying to source a supplier of a worktop like the one below (not that colour) but with the bevelled bit over the oven? Anyone got any pointers where I could get one?

Cosmo

21st Sep 09 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that granite? Most places who supply granite worktops should be able to do so like that as most will be custom cut to your sizes.
Seany

21st Sep 09 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like laminate. try www.withknobson.com
C2RL R

21st Sep 09 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is a fairly simple cut compared to some of the ones i've seen. as Craig says, any granite worktop company will be able to sort that out.
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo - not granite I'm afraid we can only afford laminate

Seany - thanks I'll go take a look
Seany

21st Sep 09 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said though its a really simple thing to do.
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm ...... we've ordered our worktops from Persimmon - they supplied as standard the one I've shown in the pic in various finishes. But they no longer fit it like that, apparently because they reckon it could be dangerous if your lifting something hot from the oven and it catches the lip as you lift it out!! (I think its cost cutting tbh)

I really liked it as well, it was a nice wee feature I've asked the saleswoman if they can get me one and I'd be prepared to pay extra for it, but she said she can't

Would I need to buy extra wide worktops then to be able to get that lip on it?

[Edited on 21-09-2009 by JadeM]
Seany

21st Sep 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we got solid wood worktops last year and the came in various widths, im sure you'll get ones wide enough to make the cut. also on the edge you just get a strip of the material to cover up the edge.
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, I'll go take a look at that site you posted then work out what width I'll need
Gregor

21st Sep 09 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive never been asked to do a cut like that on a "wider worktop" and to be honest if your joiner did do it , the finish would be poor because by cutting it you would lose the post formed edge and would have to fit a formica edging along the length of the worktop. I may be wrong though, but what I speak of would look gash.
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah funny you should say that, my dads a joiner to trade he said the same I thought he was trying to worm out of doing it

Gregor

21st Sep 09 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah you really couldnt do it. Thats an area where spillages are going to happen frequently , and if you did do it with the edging , the small gap between it and the worktop would get dirty and gradually peel off. And Id say the above photo was granite
Cosmo

21st Sep 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gregor
And Id say the above photo was granite

Yup, totally agree.

Also looks like its been shopped or deliberately a misleading pic so you cant see the joins so it'll look better.
Gregor

21st Sep 09 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair cosmo the joint should be good enough not to be seen , especially on a speckled worktop like that.
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Gregor
And Id say the above photo was granite

Yup, totally agree.

Also looks like its been shopped or deliberately a misleading pic so you cant see the joins so it'll look better.

It's not been shopped, I took that pic yesterday in one of the houses thats already finished
Cosmo

21st Sep 09 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats that blown out the water then!
M2RTY

21st Sep 09 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant see my joints from a foot away lol

looks nice, but bet its a bitch the first time you catch something on it, plus the heat from the oven might effect it
Jake

21st Sep 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what you could do, is go to an independant wood/timber merchants and get them to make you a piece then find someone who can finish it. its only chipboard after all so will not be difficult to get it made up
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Thats that blown out the water then!

Silly boy!
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M2rty, your probably right ...... but I likeee, I'm a bit gutted that they cant supply me with it now

Jake - I'll speak to my dad and see if he's any contacts at work who could point us in that direction
Callum

21st Sep 09 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So your saying the housebuilder now doesnt want to supply it due to a safety issue ?
Callum

21st Sep 09 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oops sorry that was me on my brothers account there (gregor)
JadeM
Premium Member

21st Sep 09 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rfccallum
So your saying the housebuilder now doesnt want to supply it due to a safety issue ?

Well when the sales woman took us in to have a look around one of the finished houses, I commented that I really liked the way the worktop curved out at the cooker. She proceeded to say, "oh it doesnt come like that anymore" then began to babble a bit as to how it was a bit dangerous if you were lifting something out of the oven. This was before we had signed to buy a house, but yesterday she gave me the keys of one of the houses thats just been finished, and when I went in lo and behold it had just been fitted with that very worktop! I went back to the sales office with the keys and asked if there was anyway we could have our worktop like that, but she just said no they weren't doing them any more

I'm going to get Colin to go down when he comes home on Thursday, to see if she'll tell him who the supplier is and maybe we could buy it direct and get it fitted ourselves

Sorry for the essay
Cosmo

21st Sep 09 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could get a solid wood one done like that easily and finished to a high standard - seeing as your dad is a chippie it wouldnt be extremely expensive, otherwise a laminated one will be a custom jobbie to get a good finish.
Gregor

21st Sep 09 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try speaking to the site agent rather than the sales bint. End of the day hes the one who knows the job inside out and if hes decent enough he will help you out. I fail to understand why they would suddenly stop fitting them. If it was such an issue , then surely they wouldnt sell houses with them fitted ?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll