corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BIG Power Z20LET Rebuilt!!!, Accralite, Garrett, Nortech... 400+

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BIG Power Z20LET Rebuilt!!!, Accralite, Garrett, Nortech... 400+
nyzrox

User status: Offline
19th Sep 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easy people.

Ok so quick background if you dont know of me. I have a Mk4 Astra GSi. Owned it for some time now, well over a year and im wanting more power then my 233.0bhp/305.3ft-lb. I decided it was finally time to build the engine id always talked about!

First things first, we need to see the spec list of what it should be at the finish line in around 6-8months time. Im giving my self abit of time doing this as i am soon to goto Nurburg and travel europe so cant afford to splash out on all components yet.

Z20LET
Accralite Pistons
Arrow Precision conrods
Nortech equal length manifold
Garrett GT3076R
Siemens Deka 630cc-880cc Injectors
Tial external wastegate
Tial BOV / Turbosmart BOV (Unsure which)
DTA Management (Pending)

Ok so theres the basics.

So, Wednesday 2nd September was a good day for me all in all, 2hour drive to wales an 2 back obviously. Funniest part of the trip hmmm, getting to the M6 toll plaza and it wanting £3.70 off me, i only had £3.60 in change, but around £400 in £20 notes in my pocket haha. Had to use the "Call Assistance" button

You think, why to wales. Well when you can pickup a Z20LET for £70 you go, originally i was going to pay £60 but i wanted the rocker cover so was extra £10. An here are my winnings.

Now you thinking, how the hell could i get what i did for such a cheap price. Reason being are a few hah, first is what you see is what i got! However keep reading i think we may discover something (I say we, i already knew....)

Right, anyways the images above when its not in my boot i took on Thursday 3rd September when i lifted it out (They arnt as heavy as youd expect). Stripping it down began to discover how bad, or good it was.

All parts from the head:

Down to the block, an things get interesting.

Hey, did anyone fancy a game of spot-the-difference?

So, yea.... Melted number 3 as per usual

An work was finished on Thursday.

Friday 4th September.

Block came out my unit again and... more progress was made.

At the point of getting the crank out, and cleaning the block it was time for a break... So i went to a local shop i know who can do wonders with engines and left the block there to have it hone'd an hopefully get the buildup of piston removed. If the honing fails, its 1 of 2 options in my mind, bore out and have a hybrid Z21LET haha, or bore out and get all cyclinders steel lined.

After i got back i decided to start about cleaning the components.

For all my cleaning on everything you see above and further on in this log i use Cellulose Thinners. Works wonders and as you can see from the pics.

Next update expected Monday 7th/Tuesday 8th.
*JonnyG*

19th Sep 09 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liking the project thread mate. Good luck!
Eck
Premium Member

19th Sep 09 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a seriously fried piston Sounds like a good project though fella, good luck!
nyzrox

19th Sep 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So then,

Blocks was collected back Thursday. Collected a X20XEV1 bottom end lastnight too.

Right so i picked the block up and brought it home. Decided to give the head a scrub yesterday to get it abit more cleaner to work on for porting it out.

Im more then likely going to over haul the head too, new stem seals, vales springs and lifters. Undecided at the minute regarding whats happening topend.

Should be going to get a X20XEV bottom end at some point when ive got a spare 1hour to collect it from vauxnutts12. So i can whip the crank out of that.

More then likely be painting the engine, just need to find somewhere to supply high temp paints. Going for orange and black look like i did on my Corsa. So block will be orange, aswell as the cam cover

Heres my corsa for those who dont know;

Right anyways another lil update for today, Just got back from Sheffield.
Bought another bottom end. X20XEV1, only really need the crank out of it but its got a oil pump on i can use but i snapped part off it getting the engine out the car on my own.

Oh and Dave(vauxnutt12) and his mate are pussys Saying the engine was heavy and my mate picked it up on his own and put it in my car haha. Only kidding Dave, nice one for the bottom end.

Sorry for the pics its 22:30, artificial light and all that

nyzrox

19th Sep 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok so Todays progress 19th September.
Didnt get all id had planned to do today, because i couldnt be bothered.

Plans was;
- Replace oilpump & timing belt on my Astra GSi
- Strip X20

I managed to strip the X20, and give some Corsa-C parts away haha.

Got what i wanted out of the X20 which is Crank, Gridle, Gridle plate & Pickup. So if you fancy anything out of it, PM me a price an we'll negociate a deal.

Oh yea, uhm had a about 1" deep oil in my wheel well when i got the engine out

All clean now that is.

I dont think my mum would be happy with this mess

Here is my storage unit for my engine parts etc, unfortunatly i dont have a garage. Driveway conversion it is then ha.

Thanks for taking 5

steveboyslim

20th Sep 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can supply Arrow rods and 87mm omega turbo pistons and most other parts, head studs, bearings etc at very competitive prices all in stock except Arrow rods (available on demand)
I am building a ZLET using these parts (cheaper H section rods) with a ported head, double valve springs and solid lifters.
Send me a message if interested.

Steve
nyzrox

20th Sep 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by steveboyslim
I can supply Arrow rods and 87mm omega turbo pistons and most other parts, head studs, bearings etc at very competitive prices all in stock except Arrow rods (available on demand)
I am building a ZLET using these parts (cheaper H section rods) with a ported head, double valve springs and solid lifters.
Send me a message if interested.

Steve

Will fire you a PM. Il be keeping 86mm
philip2

25th Sep 09 at 04:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

+1 for steve for parts
Adam-D

25th Sep 09 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what causes damage like that? and why is it always number 3?
FruitBooTeR

25th Sep 09 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nyzrox
If the honing fails, its 1 of 2 options in my mind, bore out and have a hybrid Z21LET haha, or bore out and get all cyclinders steel lined.

Never actually heard of people steel lining the cylinders before learn something new everyday lol, whats the benefit of doing this?
philip2

25th Sep 09 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 reasons:

1. rally lads cant go above CC in their class. so they have block bored/sleeved to suit stock pistons.

2. if had a good set of 86mm pistons, but the bores are too worn. you can sleeve the block to re-use the pistons.

if resleeving i can get block sleeved for about £400+ £60 for rings on original pistons

or £450+ for pistons + £80-100 for an overbore
nyzrox

26th Sep 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
+1 for steve for parts

Ive spoken to Steve, He seems to think there is no chance il get 400bhp.

I listed a spec off someones Z20LET i know who managed 437.1 on a very simlar spec to as il be running

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
what causes damage like that? and why is it always number 3?

Because the all ports collect infront of Piston3, and the turbo is smack bang infront of it. Its manifold design flaw tbh, an with the engine being mapped it just killed the piston.
quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR

Never actually heard of people steel lining the cylinders before learn something new everyday lol, whats the benefit of doing this?

As Philips said mate.

quote:
2 reasons:

1. rally lads cant go above CC in their class. so they have block bored/sleeved to suit stock pistons.

2. if had a good set of 86mm pistons, but the bores are too worn. you can sleeve the block to re-use the pistons.

if resleeving i can get block sleeved for about £400+ £60 for rings on original pistons

or £450+ for pistons + £80-100 for an overbore

Bores werent 2 worn tbh.
Im wanting to run 86mm, it is 86mm atm now. Im thinking i might go 86.5, or 87. Im not 100% sure yet, got a new update however.
nyzrox

26th Sep 09 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So update its about time.

Went to Sheffield earlier today to see Jonny1512. Some may know him, IF Chris Sutton is on here, he can let you know who he is

Anyhow, went to get some Steel rods off him. Not exactly as i listed in the original post of getting ArrowRods. Ive got some H-Beam rods. There cheap enough.

Heres the specs;

Connecting Rod Length Center To Center (mm): 143.1mm.
Connecting Rod Beam Style: H-beam
Connecting Rod Material: Forged 4340 steel
Connecting Rod Finish: Shot-peened
Wrist Pin Style: Floating
Cap Retention Style: Cap screw
Connecting Rod Bolt Diameter: 3/8 in.
Approximate Connecting Rod Weight (g): 526g
Weight tolerance (g): 1g!!!!
Pin End Bore Diameter (mm): 21mm.
Advertised Horsepower Rating (hp): 600-800 hp (4-6pistons)
Advertised RPM Rating: 9 000 rpm
Magnafluxed: Yes

All rods where put on scales and came up as 525g so all seems good.

Not sure when next update will be, more then likely when i get in contact with Accralite and see if they sell 86mm pistons, if not go get engine bored a tiny bit and change plans of which piston sizes il be using
philip2

27th Sep 09 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which Zlet is it you've seenw ith 437? to be fair too steveboy he knows what hes talking about to get genuine figures. i know how easy it is to make cars read more than they have.

looking good anyway. i wouldnt go any bigger than 87mm for a turbo(based on if like the 20xe 88mm is the largest you can get
nyzrox

27th Sep 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
which Zlet is it you've seenw ith 437? to be fair too steveboy he knows what hes talking about to get genuine figures. i know how easy it is to make cars read more than they have.

looking good anyway. i wouldnt go any bigger than 87mm for a turbo(based on if like the 20xe 88mm is the largest you can get

Jonny from sheffield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8zFKRQMVpA

Sutton will confirm its a machine!

I cant be arsed to reel off his spec.

Thats running the exact rods i have just got, there out that engine! He ran 87mm Accralites. Thing il do 86 if the sell them, if not 86.5.
philip2

27th Sep 09 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god damn work! cant get on to see

any ideas where it was rolling roaded?

only thing i wouldnt of done for something like what your building is use 2nd hand rods as dont know the history.

id def get them checked out to be on safe side.
nyzrox

27th Sep 09 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
god damn work! cant get on to see

any ideas where it was rolling roaded?

only thing i wouldnt of done for something like what your building is use 2nd hand rods as dont know the history.

id def get them checked out to be on safe side.

Was on the RR @ PVS09

I know the history of the rods mate. There out the gsi that made 437. It had a bottom end failure when the block cracked due to too much boost (1.9bar). Rods are all fine and weigh all the same. not bent or anything. Piston took the damage.

philip2

27th Sep 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id take the figures with a pinch of salt then matey. i know how easy it is to re-calibrate a set of rollers to give more power and shows no doubt it would/is done

still a very good build/spec your doing though, but i wouldnt be expecting that sort of figure tbh.

guess if rods have been checked out then good to go, but if the pistons took most of damage id still want to have them stress/crack tesed for peace of mind
nyzrox

27th Sep 09 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
id take the figures with a pinch of salt then matey. i know how easy it is to re-calibrate a set of rollers to give more power and shows no doubt it would/is done

still a very good build/spec your doing though, but i wouldnt be expecting that sort of figure tbh.

guess if rods have been checked out then good to go, but if the pistons took most of damage id still want to have them stress/crack tesed for peace of mind

Dyno Dynamics are the people.

Im sure hes had it on dyno on coupld of other places too, here is a spec list of Jonnys so you can decide for your selfs;

Z20LET
87mm Accralite Pistons
H-Beam Rods
Balancer Shafts deleted
Garrett GT3076R
Tial 44mm External wastegate
Nortech manifold
Nortech downpipe
Nortech boost pipes
DTA P8 Pro ECU
Regal Inlet cam
ARP Main, rod & flywheel bolts
Siemens Deka 63lb injectors
Blitz Boost controller
X20XEV converted TB

There is more but i cant think of it off top of my head.
Tom G

27th Sep 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the strip he done a high 12 and a 13 with Terminal being 115 so cant be to shy...
philip2

27th Sep 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id say more 400 than nearly 440 then
Tom G

27th Sep 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh im just going off a youtube vid mate
flybikeslee

28th Sep 09 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like an interesting build!
nyzrox

28th Sep 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
on the strip he done a high 12 and a 13 with Terminal being 115 so cant be to shy...
Jonny's best first time running the engine was 12.8

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
looks like an interesting build!

Thanks man
steveboyslim

2nd Oct 09 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were the pistons made special ?
There does not apear to be a listing for the ZLET.
When I used/supplied Omegas for the ZLET I machine the crown slightly to lower the compression, so you can run a bit more ignition without deternation.

Steve

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BIG Power Z20LET Rebuilt!!!, Accralite, Garrett, Nortech... 400+ 23 database queries in 0.1094489 seconds