corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car help - turbo issues?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car help - turbo issues?
K2 GTi

User status: Offline
6th Sep 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look I know this isn't VAGWEB or Seat forums, but it wont let me log in for some reason and im after some advice

I drive a Leon Cupra R, went out today, put foot down and the turbo lagged, as in juddering, then it did the same in second, in third couldnt feel the turbo, and in 4th the turbo judders when accelerating......

Engine mangement light comes on when this happens, and just wondered if any turbo owners had the same?

The turbo isn't pulling smooth in each gear like it was yesterday, and it does mega judder and doesnt pull as quick...

Please someone with any technical knowledge help

P.s there is no black smoke or anything like that.
ajscorsa

6th Sep 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boost leak? my dump valve came off on my golf and thats what it wet like, no boost and juddered. car eventually stalled tho. so i rekon you've maybe got a boost leak somewhere, check all your pipes and find someone with Vag Com to check the fault
DannyB
Premium Member

6th Sep 09 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the boost pipes havnt blown off, blew a hole in one?
K2 GTi

6th Sep 09 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so you don't think my turbo has blown?? Bricking it. Have looked around the pipes and can't see anything but i can't give a thorough look its ramming in the bay! I'm just worried there is a problem with the turbo. But the point the turbo is still there, and it just judders is probably a good sign? I suppose i have to take it to a seat garage??
DannyB
Premium Member

6th Sep 09 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get it up on a jack, see if you can hear anything and just have a good look round before you take it to a 40pound per hour garage.
AK

6th Sep 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Symtoms suggest a boost leak (i.e no boost), but you'd expect to see black fuel smoke with that.

Either way i'd stop trying to get boost (when you have none). The turbo will be gettiing majorly overworked trying to make boost.

If its just hesitation/juddering it could just be a misfire. When we the plugs last changed? Have you recently upped the boost (are the plugs graded/gapped to suit)

They run off a MAP sensor, not AFM is that correct?

CorsAsh

6th Sep 09 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think AK has covered it, was going to suggest split boost pipe and or sparks too.

If turbo seals had blown you'd be getting smoke on idle and when you lift off after hard acceleration.
K2 GTi

6th Sep 09 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had it fully serviced a month ago, new plugs the lot. Haven't upped the boost mate, and there is no smoke. Everyone is telling me boost leak, it wouldn't be the turbo about to go would you think?
CorsAsh

6th Sep 09 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have a boost gauge?
Gregor

6th Sep 09 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its probably a boost leak. Check all your vacum hoses as it can be the most annoying little split!

These cars (mine included) are bloody terrible for problems like this and can take a while to sort !
K2 GTi

6th Sep 09 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't have a boost gauge no, i'll get it looked at thou just worried now. If i can't find a spilt hose i'll get a guy to come out to me with a machine. Will that find a split hose you think?
ajscorsa

6th Sep 09 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gregor
Its probably a boost leak. Check all your vacum hoses as it can be the most annoying little split!

These cars (mine included) are bloody terrible for problems like this and can take a while to sort !

yup the std vac hoses are bad for splitting, changed all mine to samco 3mm hoses
AK

6th Sep 09 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a pump and pressurise the VAC pipes yourself. You should here a leak if there is.
ShEp

6th Sep 09 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Overboosting and cutting the boost.

It'll be the top boost sensor, very common fault.

iirc they have only one boost sensor on that engine,
Corsa Sport Gav

6th Sep 09 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like it could be the MAF - had the same kinda thing on my S3.

unplugged the MAF and go for a drive and see if the juddering stops, obviously you wont have all power with it been unplugged but it might cure the juddering. when you unplug the MAF it will light up your TSC light but dont worry was soon as you plug it back in it will turn it off.

if the juddering stops when its unplugged it looks like you have a fauly MAF
K2 GTi

6th Sep 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much are mafs? And where do i find it sorry lol. Cheers for help guys.
Corsa Sport Gav

6th Sep 09 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MAF's can be got for around £80 on exchange when you give them your broken one

your maf is located just after the airfilter

Stu

6th Sep 09 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly a coil pack?

Doesnt sound serious though, just one of them niggly things that take a while to suss!

K2 GTi

7th Sep 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not MAF, not coil pack, not spark plugs, nothing bought up on the computer they plugged in apart from misfire on pack 4... but changed and nothing.... they think its the fuel as I put some Asda fuel in the other day - usually V Power.. but I have used Asda fuel before so don't know
Brett
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had these problems so much recently after messing around. It'll be one of the following for sure...

Boost leak in a pipe somewhere
N75
MAP sensor
Dump valve
K2 GTi

7th Sep 09 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

N75?
Dump valvle - I have a recerculation valve, forge 007p, been on for 4 months with no issues?
Boost Leak - I took it to these guys who know their shit, and didnt suggest that they heard anything or even look for that matteR?
MAP Sensor - how do I find that out?

Cheers
Brett
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know the computer doesn't always show sensor problems right? They're notorious for not indicating a faulty MAF. Best test for that one is just uplug it so it runs on base values. Take it out without it plugged in a see if it drives better.

N75 has 3 pipes going into it near the dump valve.
K2 GTi

7th Sep 09 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put a new MAF in it, and same problem.

I will have a look at the N75 and see if its that
Brett
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH if it was the N75 or the MAP I would expect one or two sensors to throw up something, as mine did.

Just take the front bumper off and trace the pipes, it's not that complex.
ajscorsa

7th Sep 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what did they plug in to find fault codes? if its not vag com then it could have missed things, I have a hand held code reader it found 0 faults but when I vag com'd my car several came up.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car help - turbo issues? 22 database queries in 0.1057432 seconds