corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » HELP, need advice on how to change tyre when car has a KIT on!!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP, need advice on how to change tyre when car has a KIT on!!!
Andy GSi

User status: Offline
   25th Feb 03 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just got my car bk from bodyshop today, it looks well sweet i will post pics up in the next few days!! BUT the major prob is, when i have a flat tyre, i will have probs.

my car is lowered 40mm with 16" and has combat1 sideskirts, the problem is i can't get a jack under there, so do i need to buy a trolly jack special made for low cars!!!!

u lot must have the same problems, can some one plz tell me what they do in the same situation

the bodyshop bloke told me to carry peices of wood, so i could drive on to them, which wud rase the car up!!!and then i could jack the car up, and it wouldn't scrap the side skirt!!!

PLZ HELP!!!!!!!! i'm just hoping i don't get a flat tyre

[Edited on 25-02-2003 by andysri]
Sambo

25th Feb 03 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just join the AA and get them to sort it out!!!
Makarus

25th Feb 03 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure you cant get the jack under if you put it in from the wheel arch, slide it under and then do it??
Fear

25th Feb 03 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh it should be possible to get the jack in by the front or rear wheel arch!!! If your realy having probs you could slightly turn the front wheel although that aint exactly the safest option!!!
i had the same prob with mine although ive only got rieger skirts which arnt as deep as the combats mine lowered 60mm so it is a bith to do!!!
Andy GSi

25th Feb 03 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can't use the jack at all!!! how much r trolly jakes, and wud it worth me buying one!!! and the AA r TOO expensive, i'm only a poor student, wiv nice student loans

Robertio_uk

26th Feb 03 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about 30-90 depends which one u buy, make sure when u use a trolly jack that it doesnt put pressure on the skirts when lifting the car up.
Andy GSi

26th Feb 03 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers!!! robertio
Gambit

26th Feb 03 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just by a can of Tyre weld and carry that with you, hell of a lot cheaper than £30-90
Jason Iles

26th Feb 03 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andysri
i can't use the jack at all!!! how much r trolly jakes, and wud it worth me buying one!!! and the AA r TOO expensive, i'm only a poor student, wiv nice student loans

For £24.99 Argos do 1 which lifts 2 ton and it includes axel stands and chocs. Real good value I have 1 and had no problems with it
Andy GSi

26th Feb 03 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
just by a can of Tyre weld and carry that with you, hell of a lot cheaper than £30-90

is that any GOOD
Gambit

26th Feb 03 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye it does exactly what it says on the tin. unless u shred the tyre!!
john_sri

26th Feb 03 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J 11ESY
quote:
Originally posted by andysri

For £24.99 Argos do 1 which lifts 2 ton and it includes axel stands and chocs. Real good value I have 1 and had no problems with it

cheap ones are gonna be no use they are quite tall and so won't fit under the car. he aint got any trolley jack and can't use the emergency jack supplied with the car under the spare wheel. go to hlfords and buy one of theres. i got one and it fits under a car lowered 60 on 15" just have to put it in through the wheel arch and jack it on the bottom of the bult head.
Mickey

26th Feb 03 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ayen thats what i do - i have combat skirts lowwered 40mm onto 16's and i use a trolley jack on the axles and put the stands where you would normally jack the car up from if you were using a normally jack!
d0gz_bollox

26th Feb 03 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aint the tyre gotta be in the air for you to use tyre weld otherwise it'll mould the tyre in a wierd flat type shape?

just carry the wood around with you. or jack the car up front the front of the car
Robertio_uk

26th Feb 03 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or get a sissor jack from a scap yard
C2RL R

26th Feb 03 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by d0gz_bollox
aint the tyre gotta be in the air for you to use tyre weld otherwise it'll mould the tyre in a wierd flat type shape?

just carry the wood around with you. or jack the car up front the front of the car

Not really mate no. u have to drive on it as soon as the can is empty. It sort of works its way around the tyre and finds the puncture.
I drove on a tyre full for three days and it never went down either!
STEvieXE

26th Feb 03 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carry the wood get a trolley jack and if the worst happens. drive unto the wood and put the trolley jack in below and jack on chassis legs
MattyB

26th Feb 03 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate - just use pieces of wood like the geeza suggested - much easier + cheaper!

Matt
RickV6

26th Feb 03 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ya could get one of those airbag jacks (no serious) think they run off exhaust, ya put under and inflates and raises car voila!
think they lift upto 2 ton. I know wot u r thinkin but they do exist and car mechanics mag tested one and it does work
Andy GSi

27th Feb 03 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers lads, much appreciated!!! i will go and buy a low trolly jack, and i will carry a piece of wood in the back as well. next job is to get a high profile tyre on my old 15" to make it the same rolling radius as a 16" for a spare

andy

New Poll