corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop Question
Lawrah
Premium Member

User status: Offline
31st Aug 09 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok my laptops fooked, Im lead to belive the batters done and wont hold a charge and the power point needs soldered back onto the board..

Where should I take it? Pc world or the likes? Im just worried they will hit me with " well there is this and this and this wrong also"

And how much you think it will skin me ?
Shell
Premium Member

31st Aug 09 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it still under warranty? My power point has come away twice and I sent it back to fujitsu to get it repaired but that was under warranty. Before I realised it was still under warranty, I checked around a few local computer shops and was quoted between £60-£80. To buy a new battery I think is about £80, but fujitsu may have lied to me!
Lawrah
Premium Member

31st Aug 09 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah out of warrenty
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Aug 09 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PC World won't do repairs to the board if the power socket has come off.

What model is it?
Ste
Premium Member

1st Sep 09 at 23:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Send it to me, I'll fix it for free. (and won't steal you naked piccies of it promise)

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Cosmo

2nd Sep 09 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Send it to me, I'll fix it for free. (and won't steal you naked piccies of it promise)

fpmsl, was about to post the same.

Ive bought the little power thingy majigs before and soldered them on no probs.
Lawrah
Premium Member

2nd Sep 09 at 00:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W

I couldnt even tell you if there are any on it..

but would you fix it?
Colin

2nd Sep 09 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of laptop?

Mines well fucked aswell, battery doesnt hold charge and I keep geting messages about the charger pop up.

Fucking shite Dell!!

Check Ebay for batteries BTW.............£30 against Dell onlines £110 for the same thing!! Infact I think the one from hong kong was a higher spec....more hours play between charges or summit!
Lawrah
Premium Member

2nd Sep 09 at 00:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I need a new battery but even when the battery worked you had to wiggle the power cable around to make it work, now its all fucked.

Its a Dell thing 2
Colin

2nd Sep 09 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds just like mine, if I pull the AC jack out it comes up i've got 3% battery remaining & it turns itself off, doesnt charge at all.

Dell's are pish i'll not be getting another!!

Mines an Inspiron 1720. They want something like £110 for a new battery. Ebay has them for £30(but will it be any good?), think im just going to wait until its proper fucked & just buy a new laptop, can get a decent one for 300-400, so cant see the sense in spending 150-200 on this one :Z

[Edited on 02-09-2009 by Colin]
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Sep 09 at 00:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The power socket can probably be fixed without spending money but the battery is another matter.

You can sometimes rejuvenate them by doing full flatten/charge cycles but not all the time. A lot of the problem is that because the computer switches off before the battery is actually flat - to give it enough power to shut down everything - the battery gets progressively worse over time.
Colin

2nd Sep 09 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think mines past rejuvenation tbh......Are overnight batteries from Japan any good?

Might try one for £30 see if its any good. I had it in my mind just to leave it until it dies as this laptop is over 2yrs old now & I wasnt sure if it was worth spending on.
Colin

2nd Sep 09 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I keep getting message boxes saying:

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation.
Lawrah
Premium Member

11th Sep 09 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin where did you get your dell battery ?
Marc

11th Sep 09 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just use mine on AC since battery has died (Dell too )
WATSON

11th Sep 09 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the bloody same thing with my battery to but mines an acer
oceansoul

11th Sep 09 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I keep getting message boxes saying:

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation.

Apparantly dells will only charge with the dell charger...not a trird party copy.
AndyKent

11th Sep 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Samsung has done the same. Battery used to last 3 hours, now I'm lucky to see 5 minutes out of it. I'm told its due to the heat build up whilst using AC power has damaged it and that if I was to buy a new laptop which I mostly use off the mains to remove the battery completely to save it getting damaged again. No idea if theres any truth it in but sounds sensible.

New Poll