corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Carbon Fibre bonnet?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Carbon Fibre bonnet?
ste_p23

User status: Offline
26th Aug 09 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know if you can buy carbon fibre bonnets that dont have the carbon fibre effect on the outside of the bonet and can be just painted to match the colour of the car?

RichR
Premium Member

26th Aug 09 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any carbon Fibre can be painted
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any carbon bonnet can be painted to match the cololur of the car.
Ben-B

26th Aug 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure if you can buy them, but i know you can have them sprayed
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All together now
ste_p23

26th Aug 09 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys
ajscorsa

26th Aug 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the point? assuming its just for the weight loss why not get a fibreglass one?
Ben-B

26th Aug 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ajscorsa
whats the point? assuming its just for the weight loss why not get a fibreglass one?

the sleeeper look i suppose?
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Extra cool points when you open the bonnet?

My bro's mate has a painted carbon bonnet on his Mk2 Golf, and you don't know until the bonnet is open.
Carbon is so much nicer and neater than fibreglass.

[Edited on 26-08-2009 by BluKoo]
ajscorsa

26th Aug 09 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Br.ANDO
quote:

the sleeeper look i suppose?

the sleeper look u wont know its carbon if its been painted lol

Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:

Extra cool points when you open the bonnet?

My bro's mate has a painted carbon bonnet on his Mk2 Golf, and you don't know until the bonnet is open.
Carbon is so much nicer and neater than fibreglass.

neater? on the underside of a bonnet? crazy talk and an utter waste of cash. my carbon bonnet is fibreglass on the underside of it. dont exactly notice much.

its a pointless waste to spend a fortune on a carbon fibre bonnet to paint the top of it and to only have the underside carbon. i really dont understand that at all.
ed

26th Aug 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some people might just want to have a lightweight bonnet, most companies make fibreglass bonnets from CSM or spray moulding. So you get better weight savings from the carbon option.
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

neater? on the underside of a bonnet? crazy talk and an utter waste of cash. my carbon bonnet is fibreglass on the underside of it. dont exactly notice much.

So you have a fibreglass bonnet with a carbon skin?
ed

26th Aug 09 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CRP skin with a GRP frame is pretty standard issue, and a respectable way of doing things to be honest.
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not questioning it. I realise they're quite common, but we're not talking about a proper carbon bonnet then are we?
The proper carbon bonnets i've seen are 100% carbon fibre. No GRP underneath.

Like the one I mentioned earlier on my bro's mates golf...

Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

So you have a fibreglass bonnet with a carbon skin?

yeah like most carbon fibre bonets are.
ed

26th Aug 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Proper this, proper that. Load of crap when people go on moaning because something has fibreglass on it. There are plenty of reasons why you would use fibreglass instead of carbon fibre, lay fibreglass into a ply to mix it with carbon fibre or use a twill woven material with a mix of fibreglass and carbon.
Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not questioning it. I realise they're quite common, but we're not talking about a proper carbon bonnet then are we?
The proper carbon bonnets i've seen are 100% carbon fibre. No GRP underneath.

Like my bro's mates on his Mk2 golf...

so whats the point in having that if you are painting the top side? absolute waste of cash 100% surely? maybe a "scene" thing.
Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aint got a pic of underside of mine.

carbon fibre on the top. like id imagine 99% of every carbon fibre bonnet is on this site, then a fibreglass frame etc. costs a lot less. looks the same. weighs the same etc. i dont know.

just to clarify. the carbon fibre on my car, all of it, plug cover, belt cover, bonnet, door cards all have a fibre glass backing. therefore they are not carbon fibre. oh well. ive been ripped off.
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get your panties in a bunch
I'm not meaning its any less of a bonnet.

I'm just talking from my experience of bonnets. I've probably seen more 100% carbon ones than fibreglass and carbon composite ones.

Anyway, since ste_p23 was asking about painting the top of a bonnet, i'd assume that he would like to have a visible carbon weave on the underside.

quote:
so whats the point in having that if you are painting the top side? absolute waste of cash 100% surely? maybe a "scene" thing.

This is how the golf looked when he fitted the bonnet...

...but he didn't really like the look of it, and since he's spent tens out thousands his car, he probably wanted it to look exactly the way he wanted it, so he had the top painted.
He left the underside of it as weave as he thought it looked quite cool and it added a little extra detail.

Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Don't get your panties in a bunch
I'm not meaning its any less of a bonnet.

yeah great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Corsa-B-Carbon-Fibre-Bonnet-Hood-NEW_W0QQitemZ220470780929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3355152401&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

this also has a fibreglass frame but can have underside carbon, not frame for an extra 100 quid. still not carbon fibre bonnet though. its 50% carbon, and 50% fibreglass due to the frame work in it.

infact come to think of it, not sure ive seen a 100% carbon fibre bonnet available for a corsa. thats as close as you can get for 600 quid. so even if he did paint the top, its still not carbon fibre underneath.
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So whats your point?

Yes, he has two options. Cheap one with semi carbon underside, or more expensive option with full carbon underside.

The question is; is that 1kg of weight worth the extra money? No, probably not.

We still haven't even established why he wants to paint the top only...
Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So whats your point?

Yes, he has two options. Cheap one with semi carbon underside, or more expensive option with full carbon underside.

The question is; is that 1kg of weight worth the extra money? No, probably not.

We still haven't even established why he wants to paint the top only...

no, your not reading that advert properly. it isnt a full carbon underside. it has a fibreglass frame still. there isnt an option to have a full carbon fibre bonnet for a corsa. thats MY point.
BluKoo

26th Aug 09 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taken from http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=70&category_id=14

quote:
These “Road spec” bonnets are a direct replacement, full replica inside and out, supplied ready to bolt-on. The fit is perfect and they weigh less than half that of the original steel item. Available in either fully carbon (5kg), standard carbon (carbon fibre outer/fibreglass inner frame) (6kg), or fully fibreglass (7kg).

It even says in the Ebay ad that you showed me that there is a full carbon option.

quote:

This bonnet weighs around 6kg - less than half the weight of the original metal item, and is a direct bolt-on replacement. (fully carbon option weighs even less! - approx 5kgs)

Nic Barnes

26th Aug 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Taken from http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=70&category_id=14

quote:
These “Road spec” bonnets are a direct replacement, full replica inside and out, supplied ready to bolt-on. The fit is perfect and they weigh less than half that of the original steel item. Available in either fully carbon (5kg), standard carbon (carbon fibre outer/fibreglass inner frame) (6kg), or fully fibreglass (7kg).

It even says in the Ebay ad that you showed me that there is a full carbon option.

quote:

This bonnet weighs around 6kg - less than half the weight of the original metal item, and is a direct bolt-on replacement. (fully carbon option weighs even less! - approx 5kgs)

if you click the pictures, the full carbon one doesnt have fibreglass underneath. you can still see th carbon on the udnerside. the frame isnt carbon fibre?

my mates fully carbon one on his nova, from performance trim, doesnt have a carbon looking frame. maybe he got ripped off though?

anyone else that actually knows care to comment instead of some kids guess work with internet links?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Carbon Fibre bonnet? 22 database queries in 0.2046130 seconds