corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mazda RX8 PZ - Opinions?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mazda RX8 PZ - Opinions?
stan_the_man

User status: Offline
12th Aug 09 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Mrs is looking at a new car and has just started a new job at the local Mazda dealers.

She has been offered a Mazda RX8 PZ on an 06 plate with 20k on the clock.

Ive had a look over it and im impressed!

Any horror stories i should know?

Or anything really good?

Cheers!
Xs

12th Aug 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prices are dropping quicker than paris hiltons knickers on these just now, I'd stay clear.
stan_the_man

12th Aug 09 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

She just text me saying shes bought it!

She got a great trade in on her 56 plate Astra so went for it.
John

12th Aug 09 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does she work in Allison Street?
Daimo B

12th Aug 09 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Burns through oil quicker than a prostitue goes through lube....

Make sure shes aware!!!!
Jenko_Sport

12th Aug 09 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also isnt the tax stupid on these.
ryzer

12th Aug 09 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have got a mazda 3 MPS. now they are cheap and fast.
dannymccann

12th Aug 09 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ryzer
should have got a mazda 3 MPS. now they are cheap and fast.

The rich kid in my 6th form had one of these from brand new, he used to complain about the fuel consumption, but he was a twat so someone slashed his tyres

Sorry its not very helpful but at the time no one really knew what the car was
alan-g-w

12th Aug 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can you compare a rapid FWD hatchback to a RWD sports coupe? That's like comparing a 1 series to a Z4. Except a 1 series has RWD...

The maw has an RX8, she's had it for 2 years now and loves it. She was actually considering selling it to buy a newer one, but then she's ended up looking at 3 series coupes - so I think that's on the cards. She does something like 80 miles a day and returns about the same MPG as an M3, it uses a litre of oil a month and the engine is, to keep a long story short, barmy. You can't just for example, start it , move it off the driveway and put it off - you shouldn't have the engine on for short amount of time or it floods it. Many a time my dad's had to rip the plugs out (which are £120 a set) and dry them off.

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by alan-g-w]
pow
Premium Member

12th Aug 09 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport

£405 this year, £435 next.

Someone I work with just sold one because of that, the fact it drunk oil and petrol and generally thought that it was useless, couldn't sit in traffic without the fear of it cutting out and never starting again or anything.
1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

12th Aug 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently your supposed the rev the tits off them before you turn them off, that would get on my nerves.
alan-g-w

12th Aug 09 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1_Litre_Porsche_Beater
apparently your supposed the rev the tits off them before you turn them off, that would get on my nerves.

I've never, ever seen that suggested anywhere, ever.
Gsi_Ire

12th Aug 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by 1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

I've never, ever seen that suggested anywhere, ever.

i have heard it suggest for the RX7 alright. I read it a few times on an RX7 forum. Redline it in second gear apparently (you can use any gear, but second make most sence, you redline 2 quick in first and any higher gear and your most likely above the speed limit!)..... helps make sure it doesnt flood or something.

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by Gsi_Ire]
alan-g-w

12th Aug 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RX7 is quite a different car to the RX8. I can kind of see the sense, but unless you turn the key off when redlining, which would probably fuck things up, I can't see it doing much...? If you're going to poodle into a parking space after it anyway.

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by alan-g-w]
Pop

12th Aug 09 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold Mazdas when these were brought out and went to Prodrive for the day on their track and skid pan.

I really liked them. Fuel consumption isn't great, the oil isn't nearly as much of an issue as people make out. Yes you have to top it up but it's really easy to do.

There is a starting and stopping procedure and there is actually a little book that should come in the book pack with the car to tell her what to do. Basically don't pump the accelerator before you start the car. If you have to stop the car very soon after you have started it, hold it at 4/5000 rpm for 10 seconds then turn it off. (Check the book just to make sure I'm 100% on the revs and time etc)

I had a few RX8's as company cars and never managed to flood one. To be honest I didn't have to put oil in them too often either.

All in all the PZ is a really nice car, enjoy!

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by Pop]
alan-g-w

12th Aug 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have thought that would have been something Mazda would have made a bigger deal about - I've heard a good few stories from people who have flooded them.
Pop

12th Aug 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I used to hand peoples cars over I talked them through the book (took 2-3 mins) and made sure they knew where it was if they needed it.

Mazda can't really do anymore than make a book and hope people read it.
Ojc

12th Aug 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a nightmare to me.
MarkM

12th Aug 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over £400 to tax it is a joke.
Daimo B

12th Aug 09 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pop
There is a starting and stopping procedure and there is actually a little book that should come in the book pack with the car to tell her what to do. Basically don't pump the accelerator before you start the car. If you have to stop the car very soon after you have started it, hold it at 4/5000 rpm for 10 seconds then turn it off. (Check the book just to make sure I'm 100% on the revs and time etc)

[

sounds like my bike.

just proves its that little bit mroe special when the daily routine has to change from key in start go.

I can't touch my throttle for the same reason on startup.

RX8 is a fantastic car though. Superb engine design, far better than a normal piston engine.
1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

12th Aug 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mazda told my friends dad about it the second time it broke down, also one on my customers had one and she told me the same thing.
CorsAsh

12th Aug 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gsi_Ire
i have heard it suggest for the RX7 alright. I read it a few times on an RX7 forum. Redline it in second gear apparently (you can use any gear, but second make most sence, you redline 2 quick in first and any higher gear and your most likely above the speed limit!)..... helps make sure it doesnt flood or something.

If you don't know your facts, don't pass it off as gospel.

Some people dial in about 3k on shutdown to clear any fuel that is drawn from the injectors, but it's not that common, and definitely not upto the redline. I don't bother. They don't like short journeys, that part is true.

HOWEVER, it's recommended that once a rotary is warm, you should redline it if possible to clear any carbon buildup. I do it once a day.

They always burn oil, it's how the engine works. The oil improves the seal around the sides and apexes.
CorsAsh

12th Aug 09 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Superb engine design, far better than a normal piston engine.

And they'll only get better with time, especially as Mazda are developing the 16X to run with Hydrogen. There'll be rotaries around long after piston engines have died out.

Only reason they still have such well documented issues is due to them only being developed by one manufacturer. If everyone used them, they'd have cleared up the problems by now. It doesn't help that armchair mechanics keep filling the internet with drivel when it comes to the engines too.

[Edited on 12-08-2009 by CorsAsh]
richc

12th Aug 09 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see why people complain of the problems.

Around here, they dont seem to be owned by petrol heads. Just 40 yr old office boffins and estate agents, who want do any of the suggested procedures.
Nath

12th Aug 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport

£405 this year, £435 next.

Someone I work with just sold one because of that, the fact it drunk oil and petrol and generally thought that it was useless, couldn't sit in traffic without the fear of it cutting out and never starting again or anything.

That'd put me off too.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mazda RX8 PZ - Opinions? 22 database queries in 0.1931150 seconds