corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network Setup Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network Setup Help
AndyKent

User status: Offline
21st Jul 09 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having a bit of trouble with my unusual home network setup.

I have the following:

Belkin wireless router is running DHCP and assigning IPs as necessary.
Ubuntu server with mobile broadband (effectively dial-up) wired to router via ethernet.
Server is running a firewall which also forwards the dial-up internet out through the ethernet port.

Vista laptop wants to connect to the network and use the internet from the server, but I can't work out how to do it

Tried a static IP and DNS on the laptop and not even sure if I'm putting in the right information and so (as I expected) it didn't connect.

At the moment the router is 192.168.2.1, server has been automatically assigned 192.168.2.8 and laptop is 192.168.2.4

Anyone help or point me to a decent tutorial? Been searching for ages but can't figure it out
AndyKent

21st Jul 09 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to say, the laptop and server are able to communicate to share files and I also have a media server up and running on it which the PS3 can connect to no problem.

The only issue is sharing the internet.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jul 09 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try to set the default gateway on the laptop to the server IP address
DaveyLC

22nd Jul 09 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How are you trying to access the server, by IP or DNS name.

You should be able to see it by IP regardless of your gateway settings as its on the same sub-net..
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the computers can ping/connect to each other just fine except when trying to access the internet. The laptop just says can't resolve host when i try to access a site . I tried to get it to work by giving the laptop a static ip with the default gateway as the router - maybe thats what i was doing wrong.

Should i set up the dns on the laptop as well or leave that as automatic?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Jul 09 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK I've reread it.

Basically the machines need a Default Gateway of the Ubuntu server to access the inteernet, also make sure the Ubuntu server is configured for IP Forwarding otherwise it will not forward your packets to the Internet.

Also make sure this isnt a DNS issue, by running a command like so on your laptop:

ping -t 212.159.13.49

hopefully you'll get replies, if so that means you just need to configure DNS and you're aaway.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jul 09 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set the DNS on the laptop to your ISP's DNS server addresses
DaveyLC

22nd Jul 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
All the computers can ping/connect to each other just fine except when trying to access the internet. The laptop just says can't resolve host when i try to access a site . I tried to get it to work by giving the laptop a static ip with the default gateway as the router - maybe thats what i was doing wrong.

Should i set up the dns on the laptop as well or leave that as automatic?

Your router is your DHCP server yeah? Does it have your ISP's DNS server entered? It should be either giving its self as the DNS server in a DHCP lease to your client machine and then doing the host name resolutions its self or passing your ISP's DNS address in the lease directly.
DaveyLC

22nd Jul 09 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to a command prompt and do an IPCONFIG /ALL on your laptop (if its windows) and see what you've got as your DNS server.
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok. Thats going to give me a few things to try tonight - server is at home but i'm at work. As i say, i tried it with the gateway set to the routers ip rather than the server so that is probably what i did wrong.
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and i'm using firestarter on ubuntu to deal with ip forwarding so i think that aspect should be covered.
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jul 09 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how about the firewall, have you set that up properly? Need to see the ruleset TBH
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On ubuntu?

Just used the wizard in firestarter to organise re-routing the internet and left it at that.

If you mean the firewall on the router i haven't touched it.......
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jul 09 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Server is running a firewall which also forwards the dial-up internet out through the ethernet port.
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

firestarter does both - internally routes the internet from one port to another and acts as a firewall. I think the only settings it has are to allow all connections from the laptop ip, and allow all network users access via samba and the media server i have setup.
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking get in. Spot on guys, works a treat

All I did was manually set the IP and DNS on the laptop as suggested and worked first time. Magic, thanks everyone
AndyKent

22nd Jul 09 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New question now

I want to set up port forwarding. Do I need to do anything on the router?

I've tried adding a rule to the firewall to forward anything coming in on a particular port to be forwarded to the same port on the laptop but doesn't seem to make any difference........is that because its coming via the router and being blocked?
willay
Premium Member

23rd Jul 09 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as you can see the packet hitting the FW in the first place then its probably:

a) rules on your firewall
b) firewall on laptop

New Poll