corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Any Audiophiles among us?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any Audiophiles among us?
Tiger

User status: Offline
21st Jul 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just picked myself up a Cambridge Audio 6.1 AV Amp for £105 off Ebay

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/Hi-FiWorldOct06540RV2horizontallicensed.pdf
Dom

21st Jul 09 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a pretty good amp, was looking at them back in 2005 when they came out to go with my CA 300 DVD player (cost £300 when i got) but it does lack on the video switching side of things. Saying that, what version did you get? As version 2 of the 540r had a lot of improvements (not a lot on the sound side of things mind), especially with HD switching on the components.

Not a bad price although you could have got a second hand yamaha or pioneer for not much more that would support HDMI.
Tiger

21st Jul 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Version 2. This one was bought new in Oct 2006.
Tiger

21st Jul 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently they upgraded the PSU's on the amps on the V2 giving them a lot more headroom in the punch department.
Dom

21st Jul 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Apparently they upgraded the PSU's on the amps on the V2 giving them a lot more headroom in the punch department.

Yeah this is what was said in what hi-fi/cinema and the likes, but a few people over on avforums have done side-by-sides with the v1 and 2 and said there was hardly any difference in it.
But i've only heard the v1 and it seemed pretty good on a set of AEs, versus price obviously.
Tiger

21st Jul 09 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess it wouldnt really show unless you were listening to the unit on 90% volume, and how many people do that regulary with 80W RMS across 6 channels.

Still, i'm looking forward to getting the stuff set up, next up is a pre-amp, then speakers later in the year.
Dom

21st Jul 09 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I guess it wouldnt really show unless you were listening to the unit on 90% volume, and how many people do that regulary with 80W RMS across 6 channels.

to be honest it doesn't matter if there aren't any sound differences, it wasn't a bad sounding amp in the first place. Eitherway, v2 has a lot more improvements elsewhere, like variable crossovers, extra coax connection, improved HD support on the components etc.

quote:
Still, i'm looking forward to getting the stuff set up, next up is a pre-amp, then speakers later in the year.

Surely you mean power amp(s) and using the azur as the decoder/processor (pre-amp stage)? Buying a decoder/processor(pre-amp) would mean using the azur as a power amp (Which you can't do, has 6.1 inputs but it still passes through the preamp stage, like volume/tone controls).

Personally i wouldn't bother, i don't think the azur is a good enough decoder for power amping and i don't think it's amping stage warrants spending loads on an external decoder(pre-amp stage), if you manage to bypass the pre-amp stage on the azur.

I would put the cash towards getting a decent speaker package - MA Radius's, AE Neo's, B&W setup etc
Tiger

21st Jul 09 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need the pre amp to run my Project Debut MM turntable, nothing else The Azur has only line level phono stages.

I should have said Phono Preamp really....
DaveyLC

21st Jul 09 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no hdmi
Tiger

21st Jul 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
no hdmi

I'm not fussed about HDMI, I use my PS3 for blu-ray into the TV via HDMI then the digital optical out from PS3 into amp.
Dom

21st Jul 09 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I need the pre amp to run my Project Debut MM turntable, nothing else The Azur has only line level phono stages.

I should have said Phono Preamp really....

yeah phono stage, was thinking you wanted to preamp the azur

What have you looked at for the Debut? Always wanted to get a decent turntable but don't have enough vinyl to justify it.
Tiger

22nd Jul 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the Project Debut III Esprit with a nice Ortonfon Alpha cartridge fitted. Got a lovely inch thick white acrylic platter too

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3643 I got it in piano black though.

I'm collecting my favourite albums on vinyl, i've spent about £300 so far and i've still only got about 8 pieces of new stuff, plus all my dads Pink Floyd, Stones, Who stuff which totals about 200 LP's.
Toby
Premium Member

25th Jul 09 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
no hdmi

I'm not fussed about HDMI, I use my PS3 for blu-ray into the TV via HDMI then the digital optical out from PS3 into amp.

why not run the Optical cable form PS3 straight to the AVR so at least you will get Dolby Digital instead of prologic
Tiger

27th Jul 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
quote:
quote:
no hdmi

why not run the Optical cable form PS3 straight to the AVR so at least you will get Dolby Digital instead of prologic

Thats exactly what I said I did
Toby
Premium Member

28th Jul 09 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
quote:
quote:
no hdmi

Thats exactly what I said I did

Im sorry
Tiger

31st Jul 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All looking good so far, pre-amp next. Shame I cant get a full width pre-amp to match the amp and turntable really, the ones im looking at are like, half size.

Speakers later, i'm looking at the Mordaunt Short 916i's.

New Poll