corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Electrics on a C20XE Conversion...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Electrics on a C20XE Conversion...
Davidkent

User status: Offline
17th Jul 09 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right - I posted up before, and one of the guys on here was an awesome help!

I've done a load of wiring now, got the start and charge on, connected the wire in the bay to an ign live (I think its an ignition live anyway!) lol

Got the fuel relay in, and connected the ring terminal to a live on the battery...
I still can't make out where the 2 pin plug here goes though....

These are the wires left on the XE Loom

These are the Wires left on my loom

Another 2 Black Connectors...?

Those are all the pictures I have.
In the last picture I'm assuming those 2 are Earths? - I have earthed them atm...

There's 3 Blue and red thin wires on my loom, and only one on the XE loom - Do i just connect them together?

The Thick Blue and Red wire for fuel... Where do i connect that to? I have it the car end, but on the XE Loom, it goes straight to the ECU? - Do i splice in, or extend the wire to the bay - No idea where its meant to go?

And now for the Main problem - Basically - When i connect the battery, the instrument panel lights up - ie the EPS light, Battery light and a couple of others come on, like the Diagnostics light... They are on with the ignition off, and still on with the ignition on...

When i turn the key, it seems that the started won't turn the engine over.

I have the plugs out and turned over with a spanner - Its not easy, but does turn over - Could the issue with the starter not wanting to do anything be that my battery is still the 063 and not the bigger required? - If i hold the key to start i get electrical current noise lol...

Its almost like i have a wire plumbed in wrongly somewhere.. perhaps a live to the earth or something?

It was originally a 1.2 16v so its a lot more difficult than the others according to this! lol

Any help would be awesome - Someone must have done this!

Cheers
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is yours the 1.2 16V?
When me and my mate did mine we chopped all the wires off the ECU plug on the Corsa loom and ran them back to the drivers footwell. The pnes needed were extended so they'd go back into the car but some wires were never used.

If the rain dies down i'll go have a look what wires we never connected up from the Corsa loom.
iirc there's about 5 or 6 wires from the Corsa plug that were never used.
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bargain that sounds good...

Mine's all in the footwell - I'm using a loom from my brothers written off 1.2 16v to extend wires and keep plugs etc - Its all being soldered in so there's no farting about with connectors etc..

Yeah its a 1.2 16v - I have connected a couple up, like the rev counter feed...

Its things like the 2 Black ring terminals in the footwell, that kinda thing - No idea where they go - I've earthed them for now, but i'm not 100% on it due to the problem i'm having with it atm...

If you would tell me whats not used, and what connects to what, you'd be a legend tbh - I can't wait to see if the bitch starts and runs yet.. lol

Bloke i got it off turned out to be a liar and a prick, so knowing my luck...

How hard should it be to turn over with the plugs out using a spanner on a top pulley? lol
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With no plugs in the engine should turn over quite easy. But you're using a spanner on the cams, You should be doing it on the crank with an E20 socket.

The 2 big blacks do look like earth to me. What loom are they off and where abouts are they.
Trouble is I let my mate do 90% of my wiring whilst I did other things so left him to it.
If you connect the battery up you get dash lights, Without turning ignition on?
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right - Well that might explain the effort used to turn over.. lol...

Yeah thats good, cos they're earthed!

They're off the car loom, and would usually go out into the bay with the loom to plug to the ECU, Transducer plug, etc etc

Ah thats a bit of a bugger so you're not in the know! lol...

Yeah, I get the EPS light, Battery Light and ECU light, maybe more? :S
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've extened the to big earths into the car?
The only wires that we extended were the wires on the ECU plugs, Nothing else. That earth staye in the engine bay.

What i'm asking is if you get those lights without the key in ignition?
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, I get those lights without hte key in the ignition.

No,. I havent extended them.
Ordinarily, they'd be in the bay with the rest of the loom.
I've pulled them back into the car, Earthed them to the bulkhead with the others, and extended certain wires, ie the Transducer wires (I'm installing a digi dash so it was different), and alternator / Starter wires etc - I haven't extended the earths, and the ECU Plug wires also aren't extended, as they're all back in the footwell, along with the end of the XE Loom and ECU.. Its just a case of chop and change wires..

Only thing is, what goes where etc..

Like the thick blue and red wire - Goes into the ECU plug on the XE Loom, so i can't see where i'm suppose to connect the one thats in the car if that makes any sense?
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm confused. Is yours a 1.2 16v that had the ECU on the inlet?
Mine was the same, We cut the ECU plugs off and pulled the wires back through the bulkhead but the wires needed for the 3 plugs had to be extended.

The red/blue goes behind the glovebox where the FPR is on these cars.
I'll pull my glove box out and show where it goes. We removed the relay and run the wire to the relay block, Connecting with a spade connector.
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds good... Its all confusing, but yeah, thats where my ECU was.

The thing i wasn't sure of , was obviously what wires from the ECU plug need connecting to the XE Loom.

Also, the thick blue and red wire as you say, goes from the XE Fuel relay, to the XE ECU - There's no other Thick blue and red wire to connect up as far as i can see.. Obviously unless i connect the Thick blue and red from the car, to that wire that goes to the ECU and Fuel relay - ie Cut it into the circuit... if that makes sense?
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a look in a bit. I can just remove my scuttle panel and see what wires weren't connected from the 1.2 ECU.

I know for a fact there is a wire run from the car FPR. I'm sure it was the thick blue/red off the XE loom that it connected to.
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ag right - As all i can see, is the Thick blue and red in the Fuel relay plug on the XE Loom.

The same wire goes into the ECU on the XE Loom.

I'm assuming i leave it connected to the ECU, and the fuel relay, and splice the original wire (which is actually on one of the original corsa plugs) into that on the XE Loom, so its still connected to the relay, ECU, and then the cars FPR itself?

Confused!

Cheers bud
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's been a while since I looked at my wiring but the XE FPR plugs in a block. The block will be wired to the ECU, earth and 2 lives at a guess. One of those lives needs to be wired to car FPR plug, This is where you're picking up one of the lives.
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah yeah - and that blue and red I believe is the live, so i can literally stick a wire straight from my Car loom / Plug, straight into that Wire..?
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What we did was remove the FPR and plugged the live wire into using a spade connector. If you remove your glovebox there is 3 relays tooked up by the left. I'm pretty sure there were 2 purple relays (FPRs). I'll have to check which relay we removed and what pin was used.
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right - Fair play - I was just going to use the wire thats at the drivers side, which goes to that side...

I've just figured the 3 thin blue / red wires out - 2 are for that same fuel circuit incidently, and are Red and blue, the other, is the usual speedo feed, and is blue and red instead... thats another wire down!...
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc the wire needed for the FPR is a ballache to find. You can't just use any live.
Apparently where we picked it up is right
Davidkent

17th Jul 09 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah - Well i've used the Same wire, that using my old loom, i traced to the right plug i think...

Purple relay behind the glove box - Do you just leave the relay out then?

And now thats hopefully the thick wire done, but what about on the Old Corsa loom - the 2 thin ones the same colour?

Do they just stay unplugged?

I also can't find the brown/Yellow wire on the corsa to connect to the XE loom either... and some of the others...

Pain in the arse imo...
Terry12

17th Jul 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, Relay stays out now.
I'm sure there were a few blue/red left over unused.

craig_s

17th Jul 09 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brown and yellow is left out,and you just earth that wire to flash your codes.

brown and blue needs joining.

the two pin plug in the pic is for the octane plug iir.

solid blue is for the temp gauge.i ran this and the brown/blue wires up to behind the clocks on my mates car.
Davidkent

18th Jul 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i connected the solid blue now, and the speedo one and rev counter one...

Brown and Yellow stays out and just gets earther for fault codes... Sounds odd as the other models don't, but i don't suppose its necessary...

2 Pin plug - Octane plug? - This the fuel vent valve?

Brown and blue - Whats they for, and any ideas where they go on my car?

And Terry12, Don't suppose you had a chance to look at that wiring for me?

Cheers guys
Davidkent

19th Jul 09 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got no power on the ignition...

The lights all still come on without the key being in...

When i turn to start, i just get a click, like the starter motor trying, and then nothing, almost like a flat battery, but its weird :S - Not sure whether to just try jump leads or something...

Getting lost, but i've done the Fuel relay wire now!

I just have a few left on the plug from the Corsa loom - You ever get anywhere Terry?

Cheers
Davidkent

19th Jul 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right - As it stands.. The wires I seem to have left on the XE Loom are:

Brown / Yellow
Blue / Black
Red / White
Green / Black

The wires left on my Corsa Loom are:

Brown / Red
Blue / Red (Thin) x2
Red (Thin)
Black (Thin)
Brown (Thin)

The Black wire from the bay, has been connected to a black wire on the long 5 pin black plug (Only 4 wires), which is the same place the Blue Coolant temp wire, and the Thick Blue and red wire is... Is this right, or should it be to one of the ones on the corsa ECU Plug, like the red, ie Ign Live? - This could explain the lights always on in the dash...

Also, I just connected up a Brown and Black wire from the XE Loom, to that of the Corsa Loom, though it says nothing about it in the guide...

I'm buying an old 8v next time me thinks! lol..

New Poll